New house, new renovation project :)

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Some landscaping.
The area at the end of the driveway slopes up.
Over the last couple of days I cleaned up all the weeds that were growing there, installed some rectangular edge pieces, put crushed stone on both sides of those edge pieces, and leveled the dirt as best as possible.
I put down some grass seed for the top of it, and we plan on putting down some 2-3" rock ground cover on the sloped part, to help with drainage and keep the dirt from washing down:

2015-10-08_yard1.jpg

There was a bunch of work done on the right side of the house yesterday.
We removed a few old scraggly bushes, planted a new hemlock to help with privacy in-between our property and the neighbor's, and I cleaned up the whole area of all the old leaves that were there that hadn't been raked in over a year.
The first pic below shows the area as it was when I bought the place, in Dec 2014.
The last pic shows the area as it looks today.

2014-12-17_trees-2a.jpg

2015-10-08_yard6.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
New steps and walkway project got started today.
Hired somebody to do it since the old steps needed to be jack-hammered out, walkway needs to be dug down and surface prepped properly before the pavers get installed.

So far the steps are gone and the walkway is getting dug down:

2015-10-23_stepswlkwy2.jpg

2015-10-23_stepswlkwy3.jpg

2015-10-23_stepswlkwy4.jpg

Edit, about 6 hrs later.
The steps area is fully dug down and ready for the new base and new concrete pad that will be poured and will support the new granite step/landing/fillers.
The walkway area is dug out about a third of the way, mostly one guy working on the digging all day.

2015-10-23_stepswlkwy5.jpg

2015-10-23_stepswlkwy6.jpg

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Still don't have coax cable in the living room, so no TV-watching in there yet, but at least the Blu-Ray/DVD player, TV, and tuner/amplifier are finally hooked up to the 3 front speakers and the subwoofer, so we can at least watch movies in the living room.
Surround sound speakers will hopefully be hooked up soon.
Yes, that's one of my favorite movies, Coming To America :biggrin:

2015-10-24_home-theater.jpg

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looking good Gabe. Coming to American and Trading Places are classics.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
TV cable box finally hooked up to the 52" TV in the living room.
Just in time for the Jets-Patriots game too! :biggrin:

2015-10-25_TV.jpg

Looking good Gabe. Coming to American and Trading Places are classics.

Thanks Shag-man, and yeah, I love both of those flicks, definitely classics!

Last edited:

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
TV looks nice. Front stoop would look great with some continuous wood planters surrounding it once the concrete or whatever is poured.

You guys are kicking ass on this place.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
TV looks nice. Front stoop would look great with some continuous wood planters surrounding it once the concrete or whatever is poured.

You guys are kicking ass on this place.

Thanks man, we're planning on some plants around the walkway, we'll see, the girlfriend pretty much designs stuff, I nod yes or grunt no, lol

Work continued today on the new steps/walkway project.
The crew poured the new concrete slab that will be the foundation for the new granite step/landing.
The GF and I did more yard work, planting 3 new small shrubs on the right side of the house, cleaning up & spreading around the mound of new loam that was on the front lawn, and cleaning up one of the plant beds on the right side of the house.
Can't wait to have the new walkway and steps done!!

2015-10-27_stepswlkwy5.jpg

2015-10-27_stepswlkwy2.jpg

2015-10-27_lawn1.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Bay window frame and trim finally painted today, and it looks awesome! We love it all white!

2015-10-29_LR1.jpg

Yesterday the workers laid down some of the hard pack that will be under the pavers in the walkway, and almost finished the top pieces for the retaining wall.
Today's rain kept them away unfortunately ...

2015-10-28_stepswlkwy3.jpg

2015-10-28_stepswlkwy4.jpg

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Looks great! Are you going to do something to insulate that wall ac for winter? I have an old basically useless one, and it has bees in it so with temp drop they were coming in to warm house. I ghetto rigged it for now to seal out bees and drafts with scrap foam presentation board, insulation in a can and duct tape. I think I'll build a box cover for it too to semi-match the wall and insulate further
gwsbhuf.jpg

vlUkAOy.jpg

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Gabe,

It all looks great but that's no "Surprise" with your talent.
icon14.gif

2015-10-29_LR1.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Thanks Terry.

Looks great! Are you going to do something to insulate that wall ac for winter? I have an old basically useless one, and it has bees in it so with temp drop they were coming in to warm house. I ghetto rigged it for now to seal out bees and drafts with scrap foam presentation board, insulation in a can and duct tape. I think I'll build a box cover for it too to semi-match the wall and insulate further

I want to do something for it, and also the smaller wall A/C that's in the sun room/dining room.
For the A/C above/behind the living room TV, I was thinking of getting a hard cover for it and painting it the same color as the wall so it will blend in somewhat.
But whether I paint it or not, I want to hide that A/C somehow.
It's an eye sore.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
New granite step and landing finally got installed today by the crew we hired.
They also finished spreading and tamping down the hard-pack base where the new walkway pavers will be installed starting Monday

2015-10-30_stepswlkwy11.jpg

2015-10-30_stepswlkwy10.jpg

The retaining wall one more step to being 100% done.
One of the guys working on the steps/walkway went ahead and cut the top pieces, then glued them in (left side done, right side still needs to be glued)

2015-10-30_stepswlkwy12.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Thanks Terry.

Today the crew came back, I kinda laugh when I say crew cuz it's 2 guys, but they got the walkway pavers all set in place, they still need to add the sand filler in-between them, cut the edges and set in place the plastic/rubber edgers, but it's looking awesome so far!

2015-11-02_stepswlkwy3.jpg

2015-11-02_stepswlkwy2.jpg

2015-11-02_stepswlkwy1.jpg

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice! What's your plan for that little grass area between the new walkway and the house? Are you planning on leaving it grassed?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Thanks guys ...
Shaggy, that area will have some small shrubs and/or other plants on it, something the GF is designing / in charge of.
I just get to nod yes or no if I have strong feelings about it either way, but we're mostly in agreement about what's gonna be going there.
But no, it won't be just grass, since I don't want to have to mow that little area - not driving the riding mower over the paver walkway.

The guys finished the walkway today, and while I wish there was some nicer edging done, I like it a lot, overall.
There's still a plan to replace the red pavers on either side of the steps with crushed gray stone (to match all the new gray stone), or new pavers that would match the same pavers the new walkway is made out of.
But for now, this will be it till spring/summer '16

2015-11-03_a.jpg

2015-11-03_b.jpg

2015-11-03_c.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
The before-and-after of our retaining wall, steps, and walkway to the front entrance.
In the "before", there are a few of those wide flat stones already removed by me to try to make it safer to walk on (they would get very slippery very quick)

before-after1.jpg

A more "before" pic of the steps/walkway area:

24_zpsdc007837.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back