New motor is running!

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
Well the good news, fired the new motor last Friday. I dont think she made one full turn before it came to life, no odd noices that I could make out. Let her warm up a bit and turned it off. On the first drive it looked like the rings seated somewhere from 0 miles to 15 miles. My headers and exhaust pipe was still covered in old oil from when my stocker let go......basically the thing stopped smoking around mile 15 lol. I hate my exhaust, I think I will put my stock mufflers back on tomorrow, the straight through ones are too loud and drone, and resonate, no fun to listen to. Plus it is harder to hear any strange noises. I got the go ahead to take it to 4500 today, put 4 good pulls on it and got the logs emailed out to the tuner, I was nervous as hell. 11.5AF is what my gauge read and I think I hit 5+ psi, it is hard to watch AF, rpm and boost all at once. After about 75 miles and before I took it to 4500 I did pull the valve covers just to double check that everything looks ok. Still a noisey valve train but not as bad as when it was stock without phaser lockouts, I think my phasers were on their way out. It is going to be some time before I loose the butt pucker and upside down nervous stomach every time I open it up. Last Friday was the first time this car has seen the road since Feb 2011, when the stocker decided to go to motor heaven.

Motor:
298 Eagle kit with Diamond pistons from Livernois 9.3:1CR
.020" over and redecked block
Milled heads for smoothness
Upgraded springs
Lapped valves
Lunati 58006 cams (Me really likey)
Phaser lockouts
60 lb injectors (thank you Modifymystang)
400 lph pump, hat and wire upgrade (thank you Jeremy)
OBX longtubes and off road H
TSS oil pump
Livernois crankscraper
Vortech V3 with 3.6 pulley (boosted 12 psi on stock motor, stock cams with LT's)
And Devilsown methanol injection

Last edited:

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks, I just hope it keeps working out for me. I will be posting some pics of the long block being assembled. I dont have much time these days, seems like all the car gets is that last bit of daylight to do some datalogging and that is it. I have to hush this exhaust up some though, when I can drive it to work I dont think a 4:30am start up will be taken kindly around here.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You should try the quietest exhaust you can find. Stock GT500 or Borla touring. Nice build up by the way!

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Congrats. I need to find the money tree that all of you with builds found. Lol

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats. I need to find the money tree that all of you with builds found. Lol
I have been scrapping the bottom of the pot since Feb 2011 to get where I am. I had to do without somethings that I wanted, and spent countless hours searching for the best prices and alternative parts. I didnt skimp on the oil pump, valve train (I did find a good deal though), and fuel, and used parts that were proven to last at the power level I wanted (like factory hardware). And too my sweet time doing the assembly of the longblock. I had Houston Engine and Balancing do the machine work and assemble the shortblock, Jeff is a real nice guy. They mostly do Chevy but he has some nitrous 3V's out there running strong.

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
Driver side then passenger side after about 75 miles deep. MMMMMM Lunati.

Last edited:

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
Went to 6500 rpm tonight! Felt good! Also have the methanol working, need to adjust the spray some, had a small bobble down low but was seamless above 4500 rpm. I need to up the psi I start spraying or lower the amount going in the suction of the blower. On the stock motor setup I ran a 3 in the suction and a 10 in the discharge with no hiccups, right now I have a 4 in the suction and a 7 in the discharge. So that leads me to think it is too much going in the suction and not the psi I start spraying. Sounds logical.....right? Oh and it is 12 psi at 6500 rpm and about 5 psi at 4000-4500rpm.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back