New part of the race car

plated

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
... blah blah blah, and a 130 hp Miata would leave you so fast you'd put yourself in the wall trying to catch him. Most of us started with drag racing and got bored.
i think i know 3 people that autocross and hundreds that drag race,i wouldn't go 130mph in a miata nor would i drive one to the end of my street :roflmao: have you been 155mph in 8 sec i have. it would take a month to go that fast in a miata.

Last edited:

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
i think i know 3 people that autocross and hundreds that drag race,i wouldn't go 130mph in a miata nor would i drive one to the end of my street :roflmao: have you been 155mph in 8 sec i have. it would take a month to go that fast in a miata.

That's great. BTW you are posting in the corner carving section so if you're not interested you know what to do.

plated

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
That's great. BTW you are posting in the corner carving section so if you're not interested you know what to do.
i was giving steve shit about the shocks as a joke and nut swingers like your self get all on the defense about it,he knows i'm i'm joking with him we both go rounds about the autocross/drag race thing he thinks drag racing is a waste and i feel the same about autocross and there both a big waste of money at the end..... but we love it,if i had all the money i spent on cars back....i'd do it all over again

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
rebound, high-speed and low-speed compression, I believe...

Correct,

I got the rears in this weekend. My buddy and I had to make all my bushings for them as they don't make any. Shock brackets are from ford racing. They are the service replacement for the fr500s cars.

These are for sure not a bolt up and go .

Working on the fronts the next couple of nights.

388511811.jpg

388511813.jpg

388511814.jpg

Flash_of_Yellow

forum member
Reaction score
Correct,

...These are for sure not a bolt up and go .

Dang, I guess not. So all the force in the shock and spring is reacted out through your lower shock mount? Did you beef it up too?

Just looking at the geometry a little and making quick wt assumptions:
Total weight = 3400 lbs
60/40 weight distribution => 1360 lbs over rear axle
minus 500 lbs for rear axle and wheels => 860 lbs sprung wt

So, based that the springs are mounted aft of the axle it puts a moment on the axle that if you didn't have the upper control arm, the axle would rotate back. Therefore, that load needs to be reacted (by the upper control arm). Assuming the the moment arms for the shock mounts and the upper control arm mounts are about the same distance from the rotation center of the rear axle, this means that at rest you've got 860 lbs in tension on that UCA. Any concerns? Did you beef that up too?

Don't mistake my questions as punching holes in your idea.. I really like it and thinking of following suit one day. Just wondering what all you've had to modify to accommodate this setup. Thanks, Sean

Last edited:

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dang, I guess not. So all the force in the shock and spring is reacted out through your lower shock mount? Did you beef it up too?

no , I asked around to some of "grand am boys" They all do the same thing with nothing added

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
kind of hard to see. but I looked at JR Car at Daytona and it didn't look to have anything added to it. fr500s car have the same style shock package as what I'm installing and they are the same way.

382104054.jpg

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Just looking at the geometry a little and making quick wt assumptions:
Total weight = 3400 lbs
60/40 weight distribution => 1360 lbs over rear axle
minus 500 lbs for rear axle and wheels => 860 lbs sprung wt

So, based that the springs are mounted aft of the axle it puts a moment on the axle that if you didn't have the upper control arm, the axle would rotate back. Therefore, that load needs to be reacted (by the upper control arm). Assuming the the moment arms for the shock mounts and the upper control arm mounts are about the same distance from the rotation center of the rear axle, this means that at rest you've got 860 lbs in tension on that UCA. Any concerns? Did you beef that up too?

Don't mistake my questions as punching holes in your idea.. I really like it and thinking of following suit one day. Just wondering what all you've had to modify to accommodate this setup. Thanks, Sean

yes, the upper third is all solid bushing with a better mounting plate and a adjustable third link.

btw: my car is 2,970 lbs with me in it and 2 gallons of gas. "recalculate" :thumb:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back