New Used S550 or???

What car would you want to drive in the PNW rain if you already had a WRX?

• 11-14 GT

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • 15+ GT

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • 08+ Evo X

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
Oil costs about $5 per quart. So you have a beef with paying an extra $10 every oil change (twice per year) and think it's a big enough negative to list it as a reason to buy an import? Get the fuck out of here. Just go.

Lol, glad somebody said it!!!

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Of the recent mustangs I have had a 10, 13 and 15 EBM and the 15+ is the best of them, no contest; the interiors are worlds better and the handling of the IRS is as well. If you stay south of FI the stock half shafts are fine, I recommend the 6r80 which can handle approx 700 hp and is faster than any manual out there...a lot more dependable as well.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
That's cuz it gets stale from sitting..........not mileage use. Big difference.:word::whistle1:

:LMAO: :clap:

Oh and OP, the fact that you're asking a question which is almost 100% based on what you want and what you're going to find the most pleasure in, coupled with the way you're pretty much ignoring some experiences of the people here; you might as well go ahead and ask which exhaust is the best while you're at it.

Just pick one. But what you want and then deal with the challenges of that car when you have it.

But for what it's worth, a good set of all-seasons, LCAs, and not driving like an idiot made for a relaxing drive in the rain, snow and ice.

Last edited:

ridenfish39

forum member
Reaction score
I had a 12 Premium and now I have a base with the perf package, no Recaros. You couldn't pay me to go back to my 12, the 15 is that much better, especially for a daily driver. You can get oil at Wally World cheap, 27 buck for 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 Extended. And, changing oil at 3k is a total waste. I go 6k on mine.
Try out the base seats and the Recaros. I tried both and really found the Recaros weren't necessary, the base seats are very good.

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
Your decision is VERY tough. Haven't driven any S550s yet, but I have owned 2 Boss 302s (currently still have my '13 LS) and I have owned 3 Evos ('05 GSR, '08 GSR, '10 MR). Of all the cars I have ever driven, to include Lotus Elise, multiple STIs from '04 to '15, 911s of all types including twin turbo 997s, various M3s, '09 Viper ACR, GT500, C63, CLK63 Black, etc, the Evos and the Bosses are hands down the most fun and engaging cars I have ever laid my hands on. I will never get rid of my Boss, no matter how much I am lusting for a GT350R, and ideally I will add an Evo to the garage at some point in the next year or 2. And yes, you can drive a 5.0 in wet/cold conditions but boy howdy you have to be VERY careful compared to an AWD rally rocket, which you can still flog mercilessly in complete control if you have decent tires.

I say just keep your eyes peeled for both '13-'14 GT w/Track Pack and Recaros AND an Evo (manual, not the dual clutch) and buy the one you find in the best condition at the best price. Then save up for the other one that you didn't buy.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Why isn't the Evo X getting any love?

lol

I know right??? Interesting option to throw up there on a Mustang forum.

I have a '13 GT with the MT82, stock engine, full suspension mods. I drove a base V6 S550 auto on an autocross course during Mustang Week. In my very first run in the bare bones S550, I came within less than a second of matching my best time in my personal car. These things are no joke when it comes to handling.

I voted s550.

DV8

Reaction score
Hey just dropping back in to say thank you to those who have posted their experiences and thoughts on my options and those who have voted. Seems like the S550 mustang's handling is king for those who have driven them. I found it be be fairly precise to drive and awfully plush which is a welcome change from my current cars. My only concern has been that seeming lack of acceleration from the modern 5.0s because of that extra 2-300lb curb weight. I know with a 5.0 you must feel like you have a target painted on your back driving around, I assume 15+ drivers find themselves being coaxed to race a lot?

As for the pricing in my area I could have a premium 11-14 GT with 20,000 miles with Brembos for about 22-24k, or a used 15 premium with 10,000 miles, Recaros and Brembos for about 32k, Evo Xs command crazy prices in the PNW so a 2014 with 30,000 miles would be about 29k bone stock, 2008s with 44,000 miles and some basic mods are about 24k.

To those who have stopped in to say some pedantic crap to try and coax me into a fight about oil, or being a fool for spending money or whatever I've heard it all before guys. Being a car person in general I've met people who would scoff at buying anything short of brad penn race oil in and people who say throw motorcraft xxx in and STFU newb. I wrote lists of ~16 pros and cons for each car and you guys decided to do a quick read to find what was easiest to argue with me about and ignore everything else. What champions of internet poop throwing: congrats you've found the easiest way to belittle a newcomer and instill dominance. Problem is I'm not asking for opinions on oil and I'm not going to apologize for having my opinions to some forum phantoms I don't know.

The funny thing is I've met the resident experts on a number of forums I'm a part of in person and I've hit it off with most all of them. I respect the information and experience they have at their disposal, but the way some people choose to wield their expertise is insecure and abusive of the community around them: Which is a real shame since they're usually sort of introverted mad geniuses who have a lot to share. You get more respect if you give some first, it's not all about ruling through fear and intimidation.

I'm also aware that none of you are going to say anything that will just straight up end my search and leave all my questions answered, but mocking my attempt at coming to experts for advice is just as silly as getting off topic and blowing smoke up my ass about oil. We all pop the hood and inspect a car before we buy it, so why mock me for educating myself as much as possible on a 30k+ purchase?

Anyways, thanks for the attention both positive and negative, it all helps to promote my post and bring more people to the discussion which will no doubt help me out.

MechE

forum member
Reaction score
Hey just dropping back in to say thank you to those who have posted their experiences and thoughts on my options and those who have voted. Seems like the S550 mustang's handling is king for those who have driven them. I found it be be fairly precise to drive and awfully plush which is a welcome change from my current cars. My only concern has been that seeming lack of acceleration from the modern 5.0s because of that extra 2-300lb curb weight. I know with a 5.0 you must feel like you have a target painted on your back driving around, I assume 15+ drivers find themselves being coaxed to race a lot?

As for the pricing in my area I could have a premium 11-14 GT with 20,000 miles with Brembos for about 22-24k, or a used 15 premium with 10,000 miles, Recaros and Brembos for about 32k, Evo Xs command crazy prices in the PNW so a 2014 with 30,000 miles would be about 29k bone stock, 2008s with 44,000 miles and some basic mods are about 24k.

To those who have stopped in to say some pedantic crap to try and coax me into a fight about oil, or being a fool for spending money or whatever I've heard it all before guys. Being a car person in general I've met people who would scoff at buying anything short of brad penn race oil in and people who say throw motorcraft xxx in and STFU newb. I wrote lists of ~16 pros and cons for each car and you guys decided to do a quick read to find what was easiest to argue with me about and ignore everything else. What champions of internet poop throwing: congrats you've found the easiest way to belittle a newcomer and instill dominance. Problem is I'm not asking for opinions on oil and I'm not going to apologize for having my opinions to some forum phantoms I don't know.

The funny thing is I've met the resident experts on a number of forums I'm a part of in person and I've hit it off with most all of them. I respect the information and experience they have at their disposal, but the way some people choose to wield their expertise is insecure and abusive of the community around them: Which is a real shame since they're usually sort of introverted mad geniuses who have a lot to share. You get more respect if you give some first, it's not all about ruling through fear and intimidation.

I'm also aware that none of you are going to say anything that will just straight up end my search and leave all my questions answered, but mocking my attempt at coming to experts for advice is just as silly as getting off topic and blowing smoke up my ass about oil. We all pop the hood and inspect a car before we buy it, so why mock me for educating myself as much as possible on a 30k+ purchase?

Anyways, thanks for the attention both positive and negative, it all helps to promote my post and bring more people to the discussion which will no doubt help me out.

This is exactly what you asked for...
OP "Oil is an expensive consideration"
S197F "not really, find a cheaper source"

OP "RWD sucks in the rain"
S197F "take it easy, it can be fun"

Sorry it wasn't worded for a 3rd grader. I guess some were wrong to assume that wasn't the case.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score

Hi, I'm a resident expert on everything, forever. You should buy a S550, it seems you've already talked yourself into it, and it isn't a dumb choice.

I would also like you to notice how many people have given you advice that isn't a mustang... myself included... that you might not get on another mustang specific forum. We seem to have level-headed, non-brand-blinded posters. Don't pick apart the positives you got here simply because we didn't coddle you with a participation trophy. Pull up your big girl panties and buy a damn car already. Then post pictures so we can roast you.

DV8

Reaction score
This is exactly what you asked for...
OP "Oil is an expensive consideration"
S197F "not really, find a cheaper source"

OP "RWD sucks in the rain"
S197F "take it easy, it can be fun"

Sorry it wasn't worded for a 3rd grader. I guess some were wrong to assume that wasn't the case.

Some of what I wrote wasn't really a question, it was a conclusion that I had already drawn, so calling them into question and telling me that if I really had these considerations to "get the fuck out" is an assaultive way to greet someone asking for opinions. If he had been able to just leave it at "you can get an oil change for pretty cheap, so don't be too concerned" then what could I have had to complain about? BTW awesome middle school sarcasm, keep at it! And thanks for bumping my thread!

Pull up your big girl panties and buy a damn car already. Then post pictures so we can roast you.

Oh zing! So glad you stopped by to share that one! Thanks for the thread bump, hopefully it'll attract some people interested in sharing their experiences, not just their razor sharp wit!

DV8

Reaction score
Was sooooo close to getting an X when I wanted to trade in my 14 gt. awesome cars.

I really enjoyed driving my friends, AYC is amazing, but sort of took the drama out of hard cornering. It just calculates it's path and cuts right through!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back