New Whipple Intake by ST Motorsports TESTED!

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I was tired of looking at Dean's tail lights (and soon to be Brandi's) so I decided to go forward with the new intake setup from ST Motorsports. I have run as fast as 10.77 @ 125.82 mph yet I am the slow one, go figure.

I wanted to see what difference the ST sheet metal supercharger intake, the black diamond throttle body, and the ST intake tube would make. Even though I have had my car dyno'd many times before, we decided to re-dyno everything in back to back tests to really see what difference this setup was worth.

All of the following dyno runs were made within 3 hours of each other. The first dyno run was made at 63 degrees where as the last dyno run was made at 58 degrees. NO TUNE CHANGES, NO PULLEY CHANGES, just the intake setup and thats it. All numbers are SAE. Uncorrected the numbers were actually higher.

First was to dyno the stock whipple system along with the stock throttle body. With this set up and the same exact tune, I ran a 11.32 @ 119 at Ca Speedway in October at FFW. With two baseline passes, the numbers that came back were as follows:

Run#1: 483.62rwhp / 456.70rwtq
Run#2: 484.49rwhp / 457.95rwtq

Now, one might say that is low for a whipple at 16psi. But that was exactly my point---because of the stock throttle body being the restriction, there was really no difference at all in power between the whipple at 13psi and at 16psi. (A few months ago I was running at 13psi with very similar numbers)

Next test was really just for me, as I wanted to see exactly what the numbers were with the BBK throttle body and stock whipple setup. With this setup, I ran a best 10.77 @ 125.82 mph at FAMOSO in November.

That dyno run came back at 511rwhp. So this throttle body on a whipple running 16psi, with no other changes, was worth 27rwhp. This in my opinion proved that the stock throttle body was indeed a big part of the restriction once you decide to go over 13psi on a twin screw supercharger.

Next up, Adam pulled off the stock setup and put on the sheet metal intake, the black diamond wide mouth throttle body (1600+cfm) and a larger intake tube which also runs outside the engine compartment (like the KB setup).

We ran three dyno runs with the following results:

Run #1: 576.90rwhp / 517.51rwtq +92rwhp over baseline
Run #2: 565.50rwhp / 519.28rwtq +81rwhp over baseline
Run #3: 571.43rwhp / 518.24rwtq +87rwhp over baseline

Remember, this is an auto to boot---so with a manual this car would be 600rwhp!

Since I have already ran a 10.77 @ 511 rwhp, I can't wait to get back to the track with 577rwhp---I am hoping for 10.4X's!

Here are some pictures which include:

1) the stock whipple intake setup with my BBK throttle body (511rwhp)
2) the ST Motorsports intake setup (577rwhp)
3) picture of the three different throttle bodies
4) picture comparing the stock whipple intake vs the sheet metal intake
5) dyno graph

Since I now will easily be able to run the PSCA 10.60 class, I won't even need my Innovative 10% overdrive crank pulley---anyone want the buy that from me? I also now have a BBK throttle body for sale! PM me.

I will upload a video of all of the dyno runs tomorrow and post the link, its uploading now but will take a while.

So Dean and Brandi---what ya gonna do now??? I know, your going to be buying me a slurpee after I kick your ass at the track.

By the way, I saw two 3.4 whipple superchargers at ST today---wonder who is getting those......

Attachments

• StockWhippleIntake.jpg
    StockWhippleIntake.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 106
  • STintake3.jpg
    STintake3.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 151
  • STintake1.jpg
    STintake1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 169
  • TBcomparision.jpg
    TBcomparision.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 144
  • STintakevswhippleintake.jpg
    STintakevswhippleintake.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 143
  • STintakevswhippleintake1web.jpg
    STintakevswhippleintake1web.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 128
  • DynoChartweb.jpg
    DynoChartweb.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
More pictures:

Video will be up tomorrow---I have all dyno runs on one vid so its taking a while to upload.

Attachments

• STwhippleintake1web.jpg
    STwhippleintake1web.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 76
  • STwhippleintake2web.jpg
    STwhippleintake2web.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 89
  • STwhippleintake3web.jpg
    STwhippleintake3web.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 81

ulev1st

Mustang Addict!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
VERY IMPRESSIVE.......I too got one of these from Adam and he called me right after he pulled your car...90+ hp gain from this swap is AWESOME!!! Congrats on the new numbers....I can't wait to get my engine back in and see what mine will be! Post the vids asap! Again congrats! Adam and ST ROCK!!! He is Da Man!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
wow.... very jealous.... you ST guys have it good!! a great shop and weather that lets you go to the track year round!

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I can't wait to get my one pass and get kicked out of the track next year! I don't have a cage and I see some good times in my future with that setup.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very cool. Where is the air filter located?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The air filter is located basically underneath the driver side headlight. Its high enough that its completely hidden when you look at the front of the car, yet its low enough to where its completely out of the engine compartment---where it can grab the cool air.

I have some pics showing this, as well as the relocation of the ABS stuff, I will post that up in a few minutes.

MSgt46270

Reaction score
Well, when I can afford the upgrades, I think I would like to go with the Whipple s/c, instead of the KB now.

Congrats on your numbers, can't wait to see the racing video's.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
awesome. Ive got my ST inlet tube, TB, and intake tube waiting for install now. Glad to see these high numbers.

Hopefully my lowly 2.4L blower is up to the task

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very cool. Where is the air filter located?

OK, here are some pics I took showing how the intake tube and air cleaner are routed outside the engine compartment.

1) first pic showing the ABS moved, but no cutting yet
2) same pic but with the exit cut out
3) bracket showing how the ABS is mounted once moved out of the way

And yeah I know the engine is flithy--it just got done raining here for 3 days. The braket I plan on painting just flat black.

Attachments

• ABSrelocate.jpg
    ABSrelocate.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 102
  • ABSrelocate1.jpg
    ABSrelocate1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 103
  • ABSrelocate2.jpg
    ABSrelocate2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 98

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
awesome. Ive got my ST inlet tube, TB, and intake tube waiting for install now. Glad to see these high numbers.

Hopefully my lowly 2.4L blower is up to the task

I think you will be fine---the whipple is only a 2.3 and I am running 16psi. You are going to be running more then that, right? I know his wife's car (Brandi) has the same setup but running 18psi and that car put down 611rwhp---same thing---a 2.3 whipple with an auto trans.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yes a 2.4 running 20psi of boost (aprox) and a 150 shot of N2O

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
on a side not, your install looks great, but wouldn't it have been easier to goto the other side of the car like adam did with the 3.4L whipple for Ken?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yes a 2.4 running 20psi of boost (aprox) and a 150 shot of N2O

Holy shit your crazier then I thought----must be all of those hockey games when you were thrown into the boards.

Remember my car has the stock heads and cams to---where as yours obviously doesn't---I really don't see you even needing the n20--your going to be in the high 9's to 10.0's without n20 I would think. I don't think I will ever want to go that fast simply because of all the safety crap the track would require. I plan on mine staying a daily dirver. What about you---still going to be a daily driver or you going to turn it into a track car?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
on a side not, your install looks great, but wouldn't it have been easier to goto the other side of the car like adam did with the 3.4L whipple for Ken?

Possibly, but I know that the computer (and/or) fuse box would need to be moved (not sure).

jsawyer

uh oh
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice results Paul!
Nice to meet you at the track a couple weeks back as well. Whipple's sure do make some great HP:party:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back