Newbie With A Cam Question: Comp Cams VSR Stage II

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a stock 05 GT with a 5 speed that I'm wanting to start modding. Intentions are for 4:10's, x pipe with axle back mufflers, tune and a CAI.

Would the Comp Cams VSR Stage II cams be a good choice? I know I have to change springs.

RH

radmustangs

forum member
Reaction score
What exactly are you trying to do with the cams. Whats the point? What's the main use of the car.

Personally, I see no reason to go with vsr stage II cams. Thats just my personal opinion. NSR stage II cams would accomplish the same thing for less money. A lot less money.

Maybe look at SPR stage I cams? 127400

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
What exactly are you trying to do with the cams. Whats the point? What's the main use of the car.

Personally, I see no reason to go with vsr stage II cams. Thats just my personal opinion. NSR stage II cams would accomplish the same thing for less money. A lot less money.

Maybe look at SPR stage I cams? 127400

+1 listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about. As it looks now, I'm going NSR II's if I don't get custom grinds.

Pony DNA

grease monkey
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a stock 05 GT with a 5 speed that I'm wanting to start modding. Intentions are for 4:10's, x pipe with axle back mufflers, tune and a CAI.

Would the Comp Cams VSR Stage II cams be a good choice? I know I have to change springs.

RH

Hi Mustang,

What are you going to use the car for? With 4.10's you can use a fairly aggressive pair of cams even for drag racing.

When Comp released their SPR XFI cams the middle ground pretty much went away. If you are willing to install springs you might as well spend an extra few dollars and install phase limiters and gain the extra lift and better cam timing they can offer. The Comp cams all cost the same money all that matters is what other stuff you install with them and once you install springs and light retainers phase limiters for the money vs. the extra power and torque should be a no brainer.

Stock? As in no CAI intake, tuner or headers? If you are going to bolt-on stuff to the engine it makes more sense to do the cheaper stuff that gives you the most gains first. Cams are last on the list.

Hotter cams for a N/A application really need at least a good CAI kit with a 90mm MAF housing, handheld tuner and CMCV delete plates to work their best. It has also been proven on the dyno that the BBK Twin 62mm T/B is worth a few low cost ponies with these hot cams. If you cannot do long tubes at least install a set of equal length shorty headers.

HTH!

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yea, VSR's suck... thats why they were used w/ the PJ 302, Saleen 302 s/c cars, etc... worthless if you ask me :handjob:

Bottome line; these cams are pretty much stock upgrades... they work well w/ poweradders, and will give you many, many, many miles of trouble free service.

SPR's have been know to go through a spring or two. If you work on your car, no problem.

Cam choice is one of the last things to choose in a project; and custom cams dont cost much more than off the shelf. Make sure you know the direction of your project; N/A, s/c, turbo, N20 when choosing a cam. Otherwise, you'll be making the change again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
You know guys... we DO have a PM system here... no need to air dirty laundry out here.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Funny how you guys don't think I will delete posts and ONE MORE FUCKING TIME REFER YOU TO THIS POST HERE. And I am lumping the two of you together because it is the two of you fucking up the thread.

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I gained 40 rwhp with the Comp Xfi Vsr Stage 2 Camshafts....i like them, they havent given me any problems yet. The sound is good, and the power is there. I would buy these cams again if i had too!

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
"GUYS" Did I air anything or did I give my opinion on a cam? Dont lump me in with him.

Yeah.... you did?

Personally, I see no reason to go with vsr stage II cams. Thats just my personal opinion.

Just an observation... that's all. Not trying to bust your ass or anything... but when something like that happens... take it to PMs. Im sure the OP, as well as other people like me just looking for information don't wanna have to read through a half page of BS and personal attacks, just to find the info we want/need.

Again... nothing personal... just saying.

radmustangs

forum member
Reaction score
Yes thats all I did is give my opinion on a cam.

Yeah.... you did?

Just an observation... that's all. Not trying to bust your ass or anything... but when something like that happens... take it to PMs. Im sure the OP, as well as other people like me just looking for information don't wanna have to read through a half page of BS and personal attacks, just to find the info we want/need.

Again... nothing personal... just saying.

Pony DNA

grease monkey
Reaction score
Funny how you guys don't think I will delete posts and ONE MORE FUCKING TIME REFER YOU TO THIS POST HERE. And I am lumping the two of you together because it is the two of you fucking up the thread.

Huh? I must have missed something. Did I do somehting wrong Hawgman?

Cheers/Chip

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
That cam is a good choice if your going to do the mods you have listed. It is a little more agressive than the NSR stage 2 because it has more lift, that is why they rec. at least 3.90 gears, springs and some custom tuning. The SPR cams are a little more agressive because they have even more lift, require custom tuning, at least 3.90s and cam phaser limiters.

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Now if I only knew what a cam phase limiter was...lol.

I've been a pushrod guys for years. My other ride is an 88 Coupe with a 331 that runs mid 11's n/a ....fun on the street.

RH

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Here ya go , maybe this will help.

Ford 4.6L/5.4L Modular 3V Engine Cam Phaser Q & A

5448-1.JPG

What are cam phasers?
Ford’s cam phasers are specially designed, computer-controlled cam gears for all 2005 and newer Ford Modular 3 Valve engines that have the ability to adjust camshaft position while the engine is running. Since the modular engine uses two camshafts, two cam phasers are used.
How do they work?
Engine oil is pressure fed to the cam phasers through a series of passageways in the cylinder heads and camshafts. The engine computer controls a pair of solenoids that adjusts this oil flow into and out of the cam phaser’s control chambers, giving the ability to retard the cams up to 60 crank degrees.
Why did Ford put them in the engine?
When the cams are retarded 20-40 degrees during part throttle engine operation, it takes less power to turn the engine over. This helps to increase the engine’s fuel efficiency. Another power benefit is that the cam phasers allow the camshafts to always be in the best position for maximum power, regardless of what the engine’s rpm is. The engine makes more torque and horsepower and extends the high rpm powerband by an extra 800-1000 rpm.

Why should I modify the cam phasers with a COMP Cams® Limiter Kit?
If there is a downside to the stock cam phasers designed by Ford, it is that they have such a wide range of movement. Since the cams can theoretically be retarded by up to 60 degrees, there is very little piston to valve clearance in the engine. This minimal piston to valve clearance limits us to fairly small cam profiles with very little overlap.

What does the COMP Cams® Phaser Limiter Kit do?
These limiter plates replace the factory back-plate on the cam phaser. They have posts which extend into the cam gear’s control chambers, limiting their movement to no more than 20 degrees. This gives more piston to valve clearance and lets you install bigger, more powerful camshafts with safe piston to valve clearances. While keeping up to 20 degrees of movement available, all the wide-open throttle benefits of the cam phasing are retained, since the normal retard the cams see at wide-open throttle is only around 9 degrees.Do I have to reprogram my engine’s computer after installing the Cam Phaser Limiter Kit?Yes, you MUST reprogram your engine’s computer for the engine to operate properly after installing the cam phaser limiters. The guidelines for reprogramming are simple – just make sure that the maximum retard amount entered for any of the cam phaser tables and DTC strategies in your tuning software does not exceed 20 degrees.
Cam Phaser Limiter Kit

Part Number Cam Phaser Limiter Kit – includes two limiter plates and installation tools

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here ya go , maybe this will help.

Ford 4.6L/5.4L Modular 3V Engine Cam Phaser Q & A

5448-1.JPG

What are cam phasers?
Ford’s cam phasers are specially designed, computer-controlled cam gears for all 2005 and newer Ford Modular 3 Valve engines that have the ability to adjust camshaft position while the engine is running. Since the modular engine uses two camshafts, two cam phasers are used.
How do they work?
Engine oil is pressure fed to the cam phasers through a series of passageways in the cylinder heads and camshafts. The engine computer controls a pair of solenoids that adjusts this oil flow into and out of the cam phaser’s control chambers, giving the ability to retard the cams up to 60 crank degrees.
Why did Ford put them in the engine?
When the cams are retarded 20-40 degrees during part throttle engine operation, it takes less power to turn the engine over. This helps to increase the engine’s fuel efficiency. Another power benefit is that the cam phasers allow the camshafts to always be in the best position for maximum power, regardless of what the engine’s rpm is. The engine makes more torque and horsepower and extends the high rpm powerband by an extra 800-1000 rpm.

Why should I modify the cam phasers with a COMP Cams® Limiter Kit?
If there is a downside to the stock cam phasers designed by Ford, it is that they have such a wide range of movement. Since the cams can theoretically be retarded by up to 60 degrees, there is very little piston to valve clearance in the engine. This minimal piston to valve clearance limits us to fairly small cam profiles with very little overlap.

What does the COMP Cams® Phaser Limiter Kit do?
These limiter plates replace the factory back-plate on the cam phaser. They have posts which extend into the cam gear’s control chambers, limiting their movement to no more than 20 degrees. This gives more piston to valve clearance and lets you install bigger, more powerful camshafts with safe piston to valve clearances. While keeping up to 20 degrees of movement available, all the wide-open throttle benefits of the cam phasing are retained, since the normal retard the cams see at wide-open throttle is only around 9 degrees.Do I have to reprogram my engine’s computer after installing the Cam Phaser Limiter Kit?Yes, you MUST reprogram your engine’s computer for the engine to operate properly after installing the cam phaser limiters. The guidelines for reprogramming are simple – just make sure that the maximum retard amount entered for any of the cam phaser tables and DTC strategies in your tuning software does not exceed 20 degrees.
Cam Phaser Limiter Kit

Part Number Cam Phaser Limiter Kit – includes two limiter plates and installation tools

PERFECT!!...now I at least have an idea of what they do. I hear people talking about them all the time, but had no idea what they did.

Thanks!!

RH

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This one Thread I want to keep following as I also would like to know how
these XFI VSR Stage-2 Comp Cams perform.
For the member here that already has them, how Rough is the idle ???
And where do you have the idle set ???
Last question, what RPM do you turn with these cams ???

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
This one Thread I want to keep following as I also would like to know how
these XFI VSR Stage-2 Comp Cams perform.
For the member here that already has them, how Rough is the idle ???
And where do you have the idle set ???
Last question, what RPM do you turn with these cams ???

i love mine to be honest with you...the idle isnt very rough, but you can tell it has cams. i didnt want mother thumpers just so i could run around with a big ass lope, i just want my car to run like a raped ape, and it does. the idle is set at 750 and never misses a beat! and i launch at 7k at the track and shift around 6300-6500!

when i ran my car last november i went 12.80 @ 106 or something like that. i ran this august and went 12.51 @ 116. i still have my 3.55's in and stock exhaust. im going to run it one more time to see if i can beat the 12.5 before i finish installing all my parts. i have full exhaust, 4.30's and LCA laying in my living room floor. i plan on hitting the 11's by the end of the year. i have takin my time and track tested each part i have put on the car, just to see if it made a difference. so far every $$$$$ that have spent has been well worth it IMO!

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i love mine to be honest with you...the idle isnt very rough, but you can tell it has cams. i didnt want mother thumpers just so i could run around with a big ass lope, i just want my car to run like a raped ape, and it does. the idle is set at 750 and never misses a beat! and i launch at 7k at the track and shift around 6300-6500!

when i ran my car last november i went 12.80 @ 106 or something like that. i ran this august and went 12.51 @ 116. i still have my 3.55's in and stock exhaust. im going to run it one more time to see if i can beat the 12.5 before i finish installing all my parts. i have full exhaust, 4.30's and LCA laying in my living room floor. i plan on hitting the 11's by the end of the year. i have takin my time and track tested each part i have put on the car, just to see if it made a difference. so far every $$$$$ that have spent has been well worth it IMO!

Thanks for the instant reply. :thumb2:

If you have heard other cams like say the FRPP Hot Rod Cams or the
(Thumpr) Stage -2 Comp Cams how would you say the idle of these cams compare to those ???

Just looking to see what to expect ???

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back