Next Mod for Drag Racing.

Batmobile5_0

Reaction score
I am new to the Mustang world but not new to drag racing and I am a mechanic by trade. My '14 GT is a base model M6 car with basic bolt ons including cai, off road x pipe, GT500 axle back, and Bama tune with weight reduction (dropped about 170lbs according to my scale). I have the car on a 28x10.5-15 MT Drags.

Even with the car having a 10.5 inch slick I still have traction issues. Specifically wheel hop, which I understand is common with these cars. Last time I took the car to the track it was stock other than a no tune CAI and on the MT Drags, the car ran 8.0 @ 88mph with a 1.8 60' with a 5500 RPM launch. Thats an OK 60' but I know there is more there.

So my question is what would you recommend as a first suspension upgrade? I have been looking into the '13 CJ drag springs, BMR LCA, and BMR relocation brackets. I would like to do all of them at once but money is tight, so which will give me the best bang for the buck?

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
If you have wheel hop, LCA's and relocation brackets.

Should stop that and improve your launch.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
First suspension upgrade and most bang for the buck for you would definitely be those BMR LCAs.

2011/5.0

Reaction score
If your running the stock upper control arm i would recommend the rousch upper anti hop uca

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
And weld your axle tubes.

LCAs are cheap and easy.

I would swap tunes too, but that is me.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
LCA's, relocation brackets, UCA (preferably adjustable), maybe some adjustable shocks.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely a better tune at some point but your suspension needs work first.

Batmobile5_0

Reaction score
Ok. I'll go ahead and start with purchasing the LCA and the RLB from BMR tonight. What's your opinion on the 2013 CJ drag springs or do you recommend just a standard lowering spring? Also what shocks for the rear do you guys recommend? Just want to know where to focus next. I appreciate all the help!

2011/5.0

Reaction score
Don't forget to check for sale thread, lots of good lightly used parts for a great price

Batmobile5_0

Reaction score
New Parts

I ordered and installed the BMR LCA and RLB, I also installed a blowfish racing SSB because I've blown out 2 transmissions power shifting. Lol. Got the car down to a consistent 1.7 60' but I am looking to drop at least one more tenth.

What should I do next? UCA, LUND tune, '13 CJ springs, adj shocks, or?????

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Lund tune because Bama doesn't turn off clutch protection which I'm sure is hurting you.

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
How come you guys don't like the bama tune? I ran a 12.2 with just an exhaust and that tune. I didn't think there was much left from the tune to be had. I do have a manual so maybe that's part of it.

REDS197

Reaction score
I think you have a good start on suspension. With the relo brackets the upper is not as important. The springs will help and then power. What gears do you have?

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
An upper control arm bracket and an adjustable upper control arm would finish off the rear suspension. I have a brand new 11-14 Upper control arm mount for sale in the classifieds now. I would also recommend a better tune, the Bama tune is just OK but for real results get a tune from Mike at MAP, or Lund. Also weld your axle tubes before you bend one.

Batmobile5_0

Reaction score
I think you have a good start on suspension. With the relo brackets the upper is not as important. The springs will help and then power. What gears do you have?

It is a 3.31 car.

An upper control arm bracket and an adjustable upper control arm would finish off the rear suspension. I have a brand new 11-14 Upper control arm mount for sale in the classifieds now. I would also recommend a better tune, the Bama tune is just OK but for real results get a tune from Mike at MAP, or Lund. Also weld your axle tubes before you bend one.

Yeah I am getting that done this weekend. Been seeing that happen more and more.

Falkinman

forum member
Reaction score
Morris, a good reason would be that I'm running 12.0's with stock exhaust and stock tune. So what's that Bama tune doing for you?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back