Nitrous?

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a Roushcharger, making ~9-9.5 PSI of boost with a 10% OD crank pulley and a 2.57" blower pulley. I think I've pretty much maxed out the boost with this small blower. One of the problems I have (I don't need to hear that the Roushcahrger is the problem) is my IATs. This little blower produces heat when it's spinned up this fast. With just a little bit of spirited driving here in SoCal, my IAT can climb to over 170.

I have been thinking about a small (25-35) shot of nitrous, mainly for the cooling effect. What do you guys think about this idea? And if so, can I use a dry shot or do I need to use a wet shot?

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If it's only for cooling and you're not concerned with more power, I would consider a CO2 system. Cheap, and easy to fill and would probably do what you need.

Some ideas...

http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sc&cid=1

If you're stuck on juice - then yeah - a small shot would be fine I think. Just don't waste your purge like most guys do. Set your purge to be useful for cooling as well.

SloSVO

Village Idiot
Reaction score
hmm.. I wonder how much is co2 per pound.. so this would only cool the air before the blower right? or maybe spray the heat exchnger.. the No2 seems better..

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
You wouldn't want to spray CO2 into the intake tract that would displace oxygen and decrease HP regardless of the cooling effects.

Also, the majority of that stuff doesn't work near as well as advertised.

A small shot should be fine on your car but like always you are risking breaking parts.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would not consider a meth kit in any way unless I had access to a pro tuner who is very familiar with them.

You don't spray CO2 into the tract with those systems. You freeze a bulb in the intake to cool the air. CO2 is very cheap and could be bought at sports chalet.

I do agree with Kevin though, I don't know how effective the frozen bulb actually is. I was going that route and returned the kit and went with juice myself. I was just giving him the options out there.

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would not consider a meth kit in any way unless I had access to a pro tuner who is very familiar with them.

I know exactly what you mean. I had a supercharged 68 GT/CS. The carbureted 347 made over 550 HP on the engine dyno when it was built. That was on 8 PSI of boost. After tooling around in it for a couple of months, I got a smaller pulley and turned up the boost to about 12 PSI. I took out alot of timing to run the 12 PSI. I started dialing the timing back in and got a little carried away and melted a couple of pistons.

So I re-built it and figured I'd try a water/methanol kit to prevent that from happening again. I took the car to 2 different tuners and they didn't have a clue. I don't know if they didn't understand carbureted cars or they didn't understand water/meth. One of them told me I had to replace and re-gap the plugs because the spark was being blown out. Well, I got it home and figured out that my nozzle was installed incorrectly. Once I fixed that, I just dialed it in myself.

That car was alot of fun.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
I say a 50 shot should do the trick. Then again...I have a pair of hairdryers loitering under the car so what do I know. :evil:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Depends on the system and where you plumb it into the inlet tract. Most of them are going to be a wet system with a nozzle plumbed into the air intake before the supercharger. That's the typical setup.

In fact....I can put you in touch with a guy who has several Wilson Pro-Flow systems for sale fairly cheap. Brand new systems but they bought a truckload of them and got a good price. PM me if you're interested.

Androdz

Banned
Reaction score

You don't spray CO2 into the tract with those systems. You freeze a bulb in the intake to cool the air. CO2 is very cheap and could be bought at sports chalet.

I do agree with Kevin though, I don't know how effective the frozen bulb actually is. I was going that route and returned the kit and went with juice myself. I was just giving him the options out there.

Remember you can use meth/water injection to cool the air aswell just run higher % of water. Meth injection is really safe this days with the option of controllers that are out there. It is simply the best bang for the buck on a F/I Car.

Andrew

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OK. So I got a Zex wet kit and just about have it installed. I'm going to try a 35 HP shot, with my window switch set to spray between 4-6K. Should I retard my timing in the 4-6K range for this small of a shot?

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
I'd also like to see you go with the nitrous, stay away from water/meth unless your tuner is extremely experienced with it.

What fuel system are you running? With the 2.57 and the 10% lower you usually need a GT500 or at minimum a BAP. If you're trying to feed a wet or a dry shot, you're going to tax it even further.

Got long tubes? You'd be surprised at how much they help IATs - not only does that exhaust back up at the stock collector, the heat does too...soaks the cylinder head, then the lower intake/intercooler and blower case itself.

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd also like to see you go with the nitrous, stay away from water/meth unless your tuner is extremely experienced with it.

Already got the nitrous kit.

What fuel system are you running? With the 2.57 and the 10% lower you usually need a GT500 or at minimum a BAP. If you're trying to feed a wet or a dry shot, you're going to tax it even further.

I'm running a BAP.

Got long tubes? You'd be surprised at how much they help IATs - not only does that exhaust back up at the stock collector, the heat does too...soaks the cylinder head, then the lower intake/intercooler and blower case itself.

No.... maybe in the future, but do you have an answer to my question about timing?

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt throw nitrous on top of FI without a tuner touching it IMO. I wouldnt feel safe doing it

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt throw nitrous on top of FI without a tuner touching it IMO. I wouldnt feel safe doing it

Really? Do they do anything besides retard the timing for such a small shot? If even that?

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
35 is a very small shot. You could consult a tuner but i would think pulling even just 1-2º out in that rpm range will be more than enough for that shot.

FYI: I put my purge with a spray jet right across the HE. If my IAT's start getting up there, I can also just purge my juice and send some chillyness into the system on demand...:idea:

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
35 is a very small shot. You could consult a tuner but i would think pulling even just 1-2º out in that rpm range will be more than enough for that shot.

FYI: I put my purge with a spray jet right across the HE. If my IAT's start getting up there, I can also just purge my juice and send some chillyness into the system on demand...:idea:

Did you use some kind of spray bar or just spray right out of the tube? I plan on doing the same thing.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had a spray bar but took it off because I am going to mount 5" spal fans there. I don't have a pic right now, but GAS used this little 'attachment' to the tube that has 3 hole positions and sprays the purge perfectly across and into the most of the surface of the HE. It's pretty neat and I've never seen it before but it is just a little piece and can't be more than a few bucks.

This isn't the one I have (860 V spray) - but it's similar and the same idea...

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog/models.asp?group=23&model=80&dept=11

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back