Not a Mustang detailing question but my buddy needs help, please

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
Howdy All,

And, now, for something completely different....

My pal has got a [Dodge] truck with aluminum diamondplate running boards that are very tired-looking. The boards are several years old and have not been taken care of (I know, I know...). Over the holiday weekend, he used a polisher (don't know what kind of pad) and went through a little tub (5 oz.) of Mag and Aluminum Wheel Polish on one board but he says all his work didn't make hardly any difference. What does he need to do to restore the running boards to like-new? I figure somebody here has cleaned up old, grotty rocker covers for a 428 CobraJet so please share your secrets!

Thank you very much. :beerchug2:

Chris

Last edited:

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
You will most likely need a slightly aggressive/aggressive polish to clean them up really well.

I personally use Adam's Metal Polish and Cleaner, and it has worked miracles on Aluminum pieces and such.

IMHO, Megs is more of a cleaner, not so much of an Abrasive Polish which is what you need. I use products similar to Megs for finishing touches.

Do you have any pictures of the running boards?

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
Grabber:

Many thanks for the reply. I was starting to hear crickets chirping....

I'll snap some photos on Monday and I'll pass along the Adam's polish suggestion. The poor fellow spent part of his July 4th holiday trying to bring one running board back to life but he says it looks almost the same as the untouched board. Frustrating process.

:beerchug2:

Chris

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
Follow-up:

My pal went to Lowe's and got some "Diamondplate Cleaner" near the diamondplate storage boxes (for trucks). He said it is working well (first coat) and he just needs to keep at it.

Thanks, again, Grabber, for the advice.

Chris

Back