not to bright spark plug theory ...

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
I have thought about this for a while, but just dont know what the out come will be..

My car runs rich, but i think the tuners did it to help with my cold start issues I had for many years(have to let the car warm up for 15min).

Problem is now that its a little colder which makes it a pia to JUST start the car. Sometimes it just doesnt fireup(then I have to hold the peddle dow for cut off).. sometimes it does with tons of white unburnt gas clouds.

The tune has been played with so many times from other people I was thinking of another option.

Right now I'm running the HT0s @ .032

This might sound funny but even with the procharger on long ago everything seemed smother with the HT1s.
I understand running 15lbs you want a colder plug but what if I put the ht1's in and leave it at the stock gap .045 I think.

I'm running out of options. only other things I can think to make things better are:

Getting injectors flow tested.. (maybe one is leaking while car is off)

or try to find tuner # 23

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
How about datalogging and then having your current tuner adjust the tune? Most decent tuners will back up their work with fine tuning adjustments at no charge.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
While that might solve the cold start issue. I think.u r asking for spark blow out and potential detonation in the upper Rpm range.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
You can test the injectors yourself to see if one is leaking.
-Unplug all the electrical connections on the injectors
-Unbolt the fuel rail and pull the bottom of the injectors out of the intake
-With the injectors still attached to the fuel rails, place a shop towel under each row of injectors.
-Turn the ignition on for a few minutes and let the fuel pressure build up to the injectors.
-Watch and see if there is a puddle underneath one or two of the injectors, it should be pretty dry.
This should tell you if there's a leaking injector, I had two leaking on my old set of 60's causing a startup problem similar to yours.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
After it failed to start and he pops the hood wouldn't he smell unburnt fuel if an injector was leaking?

OP I have the same issue except it doesn't happen nearly as often. Sometimes it won't start and I have to use the flood clear pedal to the floor to get it going resulting in nasty white acrid smoke.

Last edited:

lostsoul

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.. I'll have to try that test. The other tunes were a little bit better for that initial start, but made it to where I could not really drive till the car was fully warm.

I read a few people still using their HT1 one said he was running with 575rwhp.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not f/i but my car too is tuned a little rich, it pops 3or4 times when starting up, I've checked for exhaust leaks with none found, I re-tightened everything also just to be safe. It started after the long tubes and ht1's were installed. Thus why I checked for exhaust leaks. Once the car warms and the rpm drops to idle, it don't do it anymore. Only when cold. So , my point being. I think it might be the rich tune as you're saying may be your issue. I know our issues are different yet similir because I've wondered if it's some gas from an injector leaking too.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Seems like a ton of blown guys have this issue. It's always tune-related.

My car runs rich, too, after chasing these types of issues with my tuner forever. He finally messed with the open loop characteristics... made it stay open loop longer, and made the O2 sensor heater wire stay on longer. That helped on all but very cold days, and there aren't many of those here. It doesn't sound like those would help your startup issues, though.

Trivia: I think I remember reading that flooring it during startup turns off the fuel injectors.

lostsoul

Reaction score
My car runs rich, too, after chasing these types of issues with my tuner forever. He finally messed with the open loop characteristics... made it stay open loop longer, and made the O2 sensor heater wire stay on longer. That helped on all but very cold days, and there aren't many of those here. It doesn't sound like those would help your startup issues, though.

Trivia: I think I remember reading that flooring it during startup turns off the fuel injectors.

I believe thats what my tuners did to fix the cold running issues I had for years.. messing with the o2 heater function or something. Now I dont have to wait 15 minutes to drive it... but what good is that if I cant start the shit up..haha.. its always something.

pressing the gas all the way down before statup is the fuel cut off. I had to use it a few times when the car didnt start the first time.. if I try it again normally it will flood itself out.

Sometimes I have seen it so bad after a few attempts that the gas will be dripping from the mufflers(no cats)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back