Obligatory stupid catch can question!!!!!!

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I run breathers. No mess at all for me from them. And zero chance of oil getting into the intake.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You might not believe me but breathers arent the way to go, but ultimately its your choice.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
James I run a moroso on the passenger side and a Jlt on the driver side. The only reason I use the Jlt is because I already had it. I have had my shit apart a few times and I have oil in the cans and zero in the intake or blower.

rocco

forum member
Reaction score
I've run the JLT's on both sides since new and having just put in my Boss intake I notice zero oil in the stock intake but did have some in both catch cans. I'll throw some stainless scrubbing pads in each like one of the other posted has done as that sounds like a good idea seeing as I already have the JLT's.

I only have 4000km's on the car though, does it seem to become more of an issue when its broken in and driven much harder? I'd imagine once I get a centri on there it may change.

luckychance

forum member
Reaction score
saikou michi has worked well for me..i run the breather but their oil seperators can be run in tandem and modified to add extra baffles in them to keep the oil down. never had a problem

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
This one looks pretty trick.
Not sure what would be involved to make it work with pre-15 models, though.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119677

^^the UPR 4-stage is the result of years of testing and countless design revisions. It works extremely well.

I believe James mentioned the issue of metered vs. unmetered air and this is important. Ideally, you want a catch can system which captures ALL of the oil vapor, maintains the PCV system's ability to evacuate crankcase pressure, and does not affect the tune by altering the amount of metered air reaching the engine. UPR's catch can is one of the few systems on the market which meet these requirements.

BlackMustang690

BlackMustang690
Reaction score
^^^^

I saw your catch can on the UPR website and there's an option for a pro series vent hose? What exactly is that?

I ran the Moroso Catch can for years on my previous mustang but always seems to let some thru, and a lot more when I added the procharger. it would catch quite a bit of condensation but never really the oil.

Last edited:

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I believe James mentioned the issue of metered vs. unmetered air and this is important. Ideally, you want a catch can system which captures ALL of the oil vapor, maintains the PCV system's ability to evacuate crankcase pressure, and does not affect the tune by altering the amount of metered air reaching the engine. UPR's catch can is one of the few systems on the market which meet these requirements.

Sounds good in theory but simply isn't true. At least in my case. Data logs show no changes in my tune when running breathers.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
The bob's catch can has caught the most oil for me and their design makes the most sense. Makes it almost impossible for oil to get in the intake.
It already starts at the bottom and would have a hell of a struggle trying to get to the top.
9sv4g4.jpg

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
^^^^

I saw your catch can on the UPR website and there's an option for a pro series vent hose? What exactly is that?

If you provide the link to which exact can I can tell you for sure. But it's most likely either the upgrade to the goodyear braided line, or you were looking at a passenger side coyote can and it was giving you the option to upgrade the driver's side line coming from the cam cover to match the braided lines on catch can.

Sounds good in theory but simply isn't true. At least in my case. Data logs show no changes in my tune when running breathers.

Agree to disagree. My car showed 40% correction at idle in my datalogs.

Pretty sure just you guys and Bob's no?

Bob's certainly works better than most of what's out there.

The bob's catch can has caught the most oil for me and their design makes the most sense. Makes it almost impossible for oil to get in the intake.
It already starts at the bottom and would have a hell of a struggle trying to get to the top.

UPR's goes through four stages of filtration, during which time it goes from top to bottom and then back up to the top, in separate chambers.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
^^the UPR 4-stage is the result of years of testing and countless design revisions. It works extremely well.

So I bought the engraved one for early 4.6 s197's before the upgraded lines and diffusers etc were available.
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-billet-oil-catch-can-separator-driver-gt-logo-05.html

It works well but I see stuff is still getting through, would be early generation housing fit some of the new internal parts to be more effective?
What do I need to order?

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Just got in Bob's for my ski - very impressed with it. Heavy as hell, though - which matters on a light vehicle like a ski.

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
Agree to disagree. My car showed 40% correction at idle in my datalogs.

That's likely due to the factory calibration of how much air it's supposed to draw in from the IAC and how much from the PCVs through the intake tube/manifold ports. I doubt at anything when the TB is open - and the IAC is shut. I imagine when you let off the gas at high RPM it's even worse than idle.

I'd rather adjust the idle a bit than have oil in my engine - just personal preference.

The whole issue of metered vs unmetered air is bunk; the PCV is basically pressure from 2 factors - one created by blow by and one created by simple heating of components and oil. heat stuff, it expands, heat it in a closed environment, pressure grows. Blow by is indeed air that was metered, but it already went through the combustion chamber, if you reintroduce it, it's new, it's much like hooking up your exhaust to your air filter - except it didn't escape through the exhaust valve but next to the piston. Either way, it's new air. The heat generated pressure is so small and gradual when the engine warms up that it doesn't really affect anything. The only reason you're seeing a large difference with breathers is because the engine is calibrated to use the IAC for a certain amount of air and the rest from the pcv.

To each their own :)

My solution, for having a paxton on the car - I didn't like their one way valve deal - so I'm going for a vented catch can. Kinda like a breather but should cut down the mess almost completely. It's gonna be mounted in the empty space by the brake booster, once I get the right hose barbs and whatnot...

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I have the UPR/ Billet Technology copy and it seems to work very well and collect a lot,
I have an earlier revision but they seem to have a new piece that improves it even further

I went for the real thing and just installed 2 BT cans on my Whippled 5.0

No Unauthorized Product Reproduction on my ride.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back