OEM vs. Steeda Shifter (pics)

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
Sad to say that you never really know what you've got until you meddle and take shit apart!

Got me a Steeda shifter for xmas and decided to finally put it in...what a sad piece of work Ford decided to put into our Gt's as the OEM shifter.

I understand the expense constraints, but this is a major part of how a car feels and performs. (notchy 1st thru 2nd)

Attachments

• IMG_1788.JPG
    IMG_1788.JPG
    410.1 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1789.JPG
    IMG_1789.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I feel like most manufacturers do this knowing there is an "aftermarket". A lot of consumers like that you can buy what you want to upgrade and if everything on the car is the best of the best, you are limited on what you can do. Like you said, this also keeps the cost slightly slower. Lastly I think that a shifter is something that is very driver specific. That is why there are around 5 popular aftermarket shifters for every generation of Mustang. So the manufacturer is inclined to make the shifter comfortable for the majority of their market. Thats just my take on it.

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Lastly I think that a shifter is something that is very driver specific. That is why there are around 5 popular aftermarket shifters for every generation of Mustang. So the manufacturer is inclined to make the shifter comfortable for the majority of their market. Thats just my take on it.

Nothing wrong with the stock shifter. You see all the posts about people complaining about the transmission and noises and notchiness, etc. The shifter does the job of changing gears and Ford obviously was concerned about NVH and cost. As awesome as these cars are, Ford had to make compromises throughout because they sell to SO many people, not just hardcore enthusiasts who would accept a little more NVH in exchange for a better performing part. And as stated, the whole aftermarket caters to guys (and girls) like us who want better performing parts!

Enjoy your new shifter - funny how such a simple device can make the entire car feel different.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
The Steeda shifter cost you around $250.

The OEM shifter cost Ford about, hmm just guessing here, let's say five bucks.

I'm glad Ford used the five dollar shifter; it made it so I could afford to buy the car in the first place. It's also quiet, smooth, and I can bang gears just fine with it. No need to diss Ford for the parts they used. They're an OEM and make decisions on a macro $ scale; not to mention, the new shifter is as slick a unit as they've ever installed. Enjoy your new one though!

Powered by Ford

forum member
Reaction score
Sad to say that you never really know what you've got until you meddle and take shit apart!

Got me a Steeda shifter for xmas and decided to finally put it in...what a sad piece of work Ford decided to put into our Gt's as the OEM shifter.

I understand the expense constraints, but this is a major part of how a car feels and performs. (notchy 1st thru 2nd)

Glad to hear you like it! You are on the right track for improving the shifter and gear feel, but there is still more than can be improved to make it superior for the MT82 (and 6060).

Nothing wrong with the stock shifter.

This is a surprise to me. While I may not own a 2011+ GT I have driven them enough to hate the OEM shifter. While it may function correctly as a shifter, but transmission feel of which gear I am in while trying to downshift before entering a turn (such as an HDPE event) is terrible. It does not have a positive feel to it at all and looking at the MT82 shifter and how it operates they are using quite a few low durometer bushings which is why it feels sloppy and vague.

With the OEM shifter in my 3V atleast I could feel what gear I was trying to place it into. The worst downshift event for the MT82 shifter is when you are in 5th or 6th and try to drop it into 4th to pass someone on the highway. You can EASILY put it into 2nd if you are not careful.

You see all the posts about people complaining about the transmission and noises and notchiness, etc. The shifter does the job of changing gears and Ford obviously was concerned about NVH and cost. As awesome as these cars are, Ford had to make compromises throughout because they sell to SO many people, not just hardcore enthusiasts who would accept a little more NVH in exchange for a better performing part. And as stated, the whole aftermarket caters to guys (and girls) like us who want better performing parts!

Enjoy your new shifter - funny how such a simple device can make the entire car feel different.

100% agree with all of this. Every car is a compromise to make sure it fits the largest # of customers. Just look at the latest Camaro that vehicle is the largest compromise for a "muscle" car out there, but GM knew that people would line-up to buy it just because it was a Camaro.

Last edited:

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
perhaps i should have posted a pick of the bracket aswell, over all the quality of the units a a whole are leave somehting to be desired.

running HP/DE's puts some major strain on such components and the feel is spongy...as many of you stated for day to day driving it was good, light to light pounding of the shifter..ok.

running 130mph+ and slamming on the brakes and needing to go from 4th or 5th to second you want a solid route to take. and the oem just didnt do it.

i understand that 90% of folks wont use their cars in this manner, and that is great.

just not for me.

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the stock shifter. You see all the posts about people complaining about the transmission and noises and notchiness, etc. The shifter does the job of changing gears and Ford obviously was concerned about NVH and cost. As awesome as these cars are, Ford had to make compromises throughout because they sell to SO many people, not just hardcore enthusiasts who would accept a little more NVH in exchange for a better performing part. And as stated, the whole aftermarket caters to guys (and girls) like us who want better performing parts!

+1 buddy couldn't have said it better my self!!

brent_G

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Now if only steeda could make a coyote to replace this 5.0 garbage.

slowlyrolling

Shifting
Reaction score
Comfort is also a factor. I love my buttery shifter. It does a decent job of banging the gears. Driver mod is what helps you shift fast. Not a shifter...

50tbrd88

forum member
Reaction score
IMO, the stock shifter on the S197's while not great, is waaay better than any other stock Mustang shifter I've run across. Remember the stock fox body shifters? Now those were freakin' horrible.

That being said I have swapped out my stock '07 shifter for a Hurst Comp. Plus and am glad I did.

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
Comfort is also a factor. I love my buttery shifter. It does a decent job of banging the gears. Driver mod is what helps you shift fast. Not a shifter...

hp/de's dont require speed shifting they require precise shifts so that you dont go from 5th to 2nd when you dont want too. and you cant always depend on the shift gates to get you there.

iceguyb14

Mustang Fanatic
Reaction score
The bracket is the main thing to be upgraded on the cars. Helps shifting a ton. The stock shifter isn't horrible, but obviously the throws could be shorter. Which is the main reason I switched to the Barton with it's super short throws lol.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
hp/de's dont require speed shifting they require precise shifts so that you dont go from 5th to 2nd when you dont want too. and you cant always depend on the shift gates to get you there.
Seriously, what are you talking about? I never have issues upshifting, downshifting, or just locating the desired gear. I'm not sure a new shifter is going to help you more than a little practice and experience would.

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
Seriously, what are you talking about? I never have issues upshifting, downshifting, or just locating the desired gear. I'm not sure a new shifter is going to help you more than a little practice and experience would.

if you have never driven a car with a "upgraded" shifter then you would know what i am talking about. aftermarket shifters are very mechanical and have a much better feel going through the gate.

dont misunderstand me, the shifter is fine for daily use and even track use, but if you have ever used an aftermarket shifter its quite difficult to enjoy an oem shifter from any company.

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
if you have never driven a car with a "upgraded" shifter then you would know what i am talking about. aftermarket shifters are very mechanical and have a much better feel going through the gate.

dont misunderstand me, the shifter is fine for daily use and even track use, but if you have ever used an aftermarket shifter its quite difficult to enjoy an oem shifter from any company.

Well said. I have an MGW shifgter in my 2011 and love it - going back to stock would feel like pushing a wet noodle through mashed potatoes....and I honestly didn't find the stock shifter "terrible".

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back