Oil Consumption? Anyone else burning a TON of oil?

cgibs89

Stickers add HP brah
Reaction score
Changing the oil to conventional isn't going to do anything. For the 5.0s, it seems like half a quart or so every 3k miles seems to be the norm.

back n a stang

Sick wid it!!
Reaction score
Ok,got a question and need some feedback.Have a 2012 GT w/ 4800 miles.Like most or some of us, it has used some oil.Oil changed at 2800.At 4200 I was almost a quart low.Chalked it up to what all I have read and that I had made several WOT pulls.shifting at 6800-6900 on many of those.I did another complete oil change and filter at 4500.Put 5w-20 mobil 1 in it.
My question is this....While under the car I noticed at my first connection from my cats to my x-pipe there seem to be just a little oil.Nothing serious.Also I noticed my tips on this "S" type Borla Catback exhaust ,that the inside blackened up much sooner than any new exhaust I ever put on my previous performance cars.I am thinking this: The motor break-in is the cause and nothing to worry about.After 10,000 miles give or take all this will stop.In my mind I wonder if the oil getting by is bad on the cats ??No biggie probably since I will get rid of them one day. So,with what I am describing do you guys see any cause for concern?? Is this the case with alot of us ?? Should I bother trying to pull plugs to look at them.Car runs strong and has a tune. Whatcha think ? Thanks in advance for feedback

cgibs89

Stickers add HP brah
Reaction score
I've got 1800mi and when I pulled the dipstick out, the oil level is about 1/8" above the bottom hole and barely in the cross-thatched area. It's in storage for the winter now though so it's not going to run anytime soon.

Thereaper

forum member
Reaction score
I had no oil buildup in my 07 GT and I checked the 5.0 and the plenum is clean. I'm loosing no oil. Maybe there's something wrong with the cars I'm buying.:omfg:

mbreinin

Reaction score
I have a little over 4,000 miles and I have added two quarts. I also just installed a JLT catch can. I am changing the oil at 5,000, as recommended. I can't decide if I am going to go to the dealer, do it myself, or have it done somewhere else. I also can't decide on oil itself. I really don't understand why Ford recommends a semi-synthetic for this car and not a full synth.

Mike

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back