Oil Consumption? Anyone else burning a TON of oil?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well you don't know that for sure

And if it is I feel bad fir the z06 vetted running around because I will be built

If you EVER had an aftermarket tune on your car, it will show up on the PCM when the dealer scans it. That will void your warranty.

eddypython

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe not all dealers are like that. I once took it to the dealership and asked them if they check for that, the svc manager said unless they have to reflash the pcm they don't bother with it..

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
Maybe not all dealers are like that. I once took it to the dealership and asked them if they check for that, the svc manager said unless they have to reflash the pcm they don't bother with it..
Not the case with the new 5.0
Ford released a TSB specifically stating that if the PCM was ever flashed other than factory, warranty is VOID.
Trust me, they check. Might not have cared on the old 4.6's but on the 5.0 they do.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so I hit wot and brought it to 6k rpm and then idle into the driveway and shut it down

A cloud of white smoke followed

I pulled out all the plugs

All the ends looked perfect (yes I know how to read plugs)

The ONLY thing i found was the #8 had oil on te threads and no other plug did

I know either #8 is scarred up or the rings aren't sealing

I'm bone stock now and at 4350 miles

I'm bringing it to ford next week

If they determin it was my fault then I am going to rip it apart and replace te rods an pistons with forged

.030 over and since I have it apart I will probably do a mild port job on the heads

I plan on keeping the same compression and running the rebuild on the stock tune if everything checks out unroll the rings seat and then I will be doing hellion turbo

If ford fixes it imbgoing strait to the turbo lol
i dont think you can go .030 on the new 5.0...i think .010 is about it.

Reaction score
Do these engines need to be bored over anyway? Make good power as is with FI... LOL.

KonaGT

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think people would bore it to gain cubes, they would bore it to clean up any damage that was done to cylinders if the rings/pistons break.

hireman

forum member
Reaction score
well, its official. my 5.0 eats oil. Me and my buddy who works at a ford dealer who changes my oil have been watching this for several oil changes now, its uses 2 quarts every 3k . The only time I actually notice smoke is wide open shifts close to redline but I dont do that very often. Car runs awesome other than using oil no complaints at all but it does have a tune and cold air, o/r X....since its seems thats most likely not a #8 issue ( or would it be????) any hope w/ dealer regarding issue?????? cars got 23k miles on it , its used oil like this from the start....high break in use never stopped. It wasnt tuned until 14k miles

Last edited:

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
well, its official. my 5.0 eats oil. Me and my buddy who works at a ford dealer who changes my oil have been watching this for several oil changes now, its uses 2 quarts every 3k . The only time I actually notice smoke is wide open shifts close to redline but I dont do that very often. Car runs awesome other than using oil no complaints at all but it does have a tune and cold air, o/r X....since its seems thats most likely not a #8 issue ( or would it be????) any hope w/ dealer regarding issue?????? cars got 23k miles on it , its used oil like this from the start....high break in use never stopped. It wasnt tuned until 14k miles
Nope, no luck for you sir. Dealer considers 1qt every 1000 miles to be acceptable consumption. So until you are spending more $ on oil than gas, they will tell you to kick rocks, especially since you are tuned.

8WOOD

forum member
Reaction score
Another Coyote engine oil failure story.

Guess this is my first, so hello! 1 week before I made a 1000 mile move to Florida from Virginia, I check the oil in my 2012 GT, it was in the operating range on the dipstick. 20 miles out of my destination the engine ceased up. I get out and pissed cause it has 4900 miles on it, and there was zero oil on the dipstick. When ford did the tear down they only found 3 quarts of oil. How I burned that much oil up is beyond me. I was hot-rodding the car pretty could on the trip down there, but no more than any other vehicle I've owned. Ford replaced the engine and after 500 miles I have added one quart of oil. And after reading this thread, It seams that the coyote just eats oil. I just ordered my stage 2 Procharger kit, but won't be putting it on now till Ford checks the car out again, they are sending a engineer down to look at it so they say. We'll see.

Anyways check your oil levels at least every couple of days in this car!

8WOOD

forum member
Reaction score
does anyone believe that the cause for he coyotes eating oil is excessive blow by thus pushing air pressure and oil into the intake? Some people are filling up catch cans with only 800 miles of spirited driving? I guess my question is why would there be so much blow by on a stock engine?

cgibs89

Stickers add HP brah
Reaction score
Excessive tolerances caused by rings taking a while to seat.

8WOOD

forum member
Reaction score
so how long till the thing stops burning oil? Should you drive it easy or hard to make it happen faster? Lol if you say the latter i'm going WOT everywhere because i'm so impatient!

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
I just checked my oil today and it's about half a quart low. My car has 10,700 miles and I drove it back and forth to Florida when it had 4,800 miles. If that isn't good enough break in than I don't know what is. I've got around 2.5k miles on the current oil and I like to wait till at least 5k to change. Got the first oil change done right around 4k and got it changed again after returning from about a month after returning from florida. Thinking about changing to conventional oil to see if that helps and then changing again at 3k. Any thoughts?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back