Oil Consumption? Anyone else burning a TON of oil?

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
My car didn't burn oil the first 2500 miles

I put jlt intake
Lund 93 octane tune
offroad H and axelebacks
I have 3900 miles now and last night I smelled oil
got a friend to drive behind me and its smoking
Stopped pulled the oil cap off at idle and it was puffing

Bad blowby

Sooooo im gonna figure this thing out

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
My car didn't burn oil the first 2500 miles

I put jlt intake
Lund 93 octane tune
offroad H and axelebacks
I have 3900 miles now and last night I smelled oil
got a friend to drive behind me and its smoking
Stopped pulled the oil cap off at idle and it was puffing

Bad blowby

Sooooo im gonna figure this thing out

Check your plugs to see which cylinder is having issues. If they look good, get a catch can.

Do you run 93 all the time with your tune?

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
Yes I run 93 in everything I own

A catch can that fills up between oil changes wont do much justice unless your saying the rings need tome to seal off

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
Also tho I did change my oil at 2500 miles

Its non synthetic, because I didn't know the factory oil was semi
Would that make it burn?

No, it wouldn't burn more cause of being conventional. If you are seeing smoke out of the tailpipes I would check your plugs and see if #8 is drinking some oil

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No, it wouldn't burn more cause of being conventional. If you are seeing smoke out of the tailpipes I would check your plugs and see if #8 is drinking some oil

+1, especially since you're running a tune.

Sent from my DROID2 Global using tapa-whatzit-thing

S

Stangs530

So I figured out why my car was using all the oil...

The PCV design on these cars are faulty and has absolutely no restriction. I pulled my intake manifold off and it was drenched in oil! The passenger side breather hose is allowing all the oil to be put into the intake and causing the smoke. The throttle body has no evidence of having oil pass through it which means that the drivers side head is not putting the oil into the intake, only the passenger.

A normal catch can will not cure the problem, it needs a catch can that will drain the accumulated oil back into the motor. I also think a redesigned PCV valve will greatly reduce oil consumption.

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
You won't get much if any oil from the drivers side line, iirc it is the vent line that runs to the intake tube, the passenger side is the actual pcv line. Oil drenched intake = lots of blowby

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I figured out why my car was using all the oil...

The PCV design on these cars are faulty and has absolutely no restriction. I pulled my intake manifold off and it was drenched in oil! The passenger side breather hose is allowing all the oil to be put into the intake and causing the smoke. The throttle body has no evidence of having oil pass through it which means that the drivers side head is not putting the oil into the intake, only the passenger.

A normal catch can will not cure the problem, it needs a catch can that will drain the accumulated oil back into the motor. I also think a redesigned PCV valve will greatly reduce oil consumption.

I'm going to have to disagree with your assessment. My car burns almost no oil.

Perhaps your PCV wasn't hooked up properly when you switched to the BOSS manifold?

S

Stangs530

I'm going to have to disagree with your assessment. My car burns almost no oil.

Perhaps your PCV wasn't hooked up properly when you switched to the BOSS manifold?

Their is no way to not connect the PCV correctly, it connects directly to the manifold with the same hose as the stock and in the same location.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The valves design itself is faulty, I have checked several different of the 5.0's including a brand new valve and they are all identical.

Then why is your car burning so much oil, but others are not? Have you checked your #8 plug? What tune are you running?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back