oil for track cars

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
5-20 Mobil 1.
Are there any oil "experts" here that can chime in??

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
5-20 Mobil 1.
Are there any oil "experts" here that can chime in??

I think I know who Dave was talking about in his post earlier (quoted below), and if so that's definitely a reliable source!

A little birdie (who was on the Ford engineering team for the 4.6L 3-V) mentioned the following:

"(Shaking head from side to side) You should always run the specified oil, particularly if you track the car. (Starts nodding head up and down) You should never run another weight, like, say, 10W-40..." 'Nuff said, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
A little birdie (who was on the Ford engineering team for the 4.6L 3-V) mentioned the following:

"(Shaking head from side to side) You should always run the specified oil, particularly if you track the car. (Starts nodding head up and down) You should never run another weight, like, say, 10W-40..." 'Nuff said, at least as far as I'm concerned.

So what are your thoughts about running 10W-40 in the spring/summer/fall in a Track Toy/DD with a Roushcharger (445 flywheel HP)?

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
So what are your thoughts about running 10W-40 in the spring/summer/fall in a Track Toy/DD with a Roushcharger (445 flywheel HP)?

What do the Shelby, Saleen and Roush blower cars spec for oil? Personally, I'd still be leaning towards a heavier weight than 5w-20, like maybe towards the 5w-50 end of things, but I haven't done ANY research on the needs of blower motors, so...

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Amsoil 10w40 here, with excellent success, but the car NEVER sees temps below 35*....

I agree - I use the same manufacturer and oil weight with excellent results on the road courses during the summer. I never had a problem with oil temperature or pressure with 10w40. I use 5w30 in the winter - daily driver.

Last edited:

shatter

White And Nerdy
Reaction score
What about Mobil 1 Race Oil in 0w30?

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Racing_0W-30.aspx

Mobil_1_Racing_0W-30_top.gif

You say the new Mobil 1 Racing oils are not for street use. Why is that? Does that mean I can't use these oils if my race car is also my daily driver?
spacer.gif
Automotive street use oils that meet the latest industry standards are required to have a lower level of Zinc and Phosphorus anti-wear chemistries than oils formulated years ago. The latest automotive street use engine oils are designed to be compatible with emission control equipment. Mobil 1 Racing oils are formulated with anti-wear (Zinc/Phosphorus) chemistries at twice the level of automotive street oils to provide enhanced protection of highly loaded valve train systems found in some race engines. Based on the high level of anti-wear chemistries, Mobil 1 Racing oils are not recommended for street use.

Zero weight oils are thinner. Will using a 0W oil cause excessive engine wear while racing or qualifying?
spacer.gif
Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 and 0W-20 oils are formulated with anti-wear (Zinc/Phosphorus) chemistries at twice the level of automotive street oils to protect race engines including highly loaded flat tappet designs used in the NASCAR series.

Last edited:

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
Just to double check...would Mobil 1 5w40 synthetic for Turbo diesel trucks be OK or is there a difference from normal oil?

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It carries an American Petroleum Institute SM spec for gasoline engines.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.asp

SM is the latest API service standard designation for gasoline automobile and light-truck engines. The SM standard refers to a group of laboratory and engine tests, including the latest series for control of high-temperature deposits. Current API service categories include SM, SL and SJ for gasoline engines. In case you are wondering, I have heard that the "S" stands for spark or service (typical passenger cars and light trucks using gasoline engines) but I am unsure which is correct.

Motor oils that meet only the above standard have lowered levels of ZDDP, unless they meet the C standard for compression (there's the C) ignition, internal combustion engines or more commonly know as Diesels. There are six diesel engine service designations which are current: CJ-4, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-2, and CF. Rotella T6, which I use, meets the CJ-4 designation. All others are obsolete. This marking is located in the lower portion of the API Service Symbol "Donut".

Here is where Mobil says that even older ratings like SG have been superseded by SM.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Using_SM-Rated_Oil_Instead_of_SG.aspx

I just changed mine a few weeks ago. 5w40 Rotella T6 Full synthetic, I picked 2gal and an FL820S filter up at WallyMart for ~$44.00 and I still have 2qt of the 8qt left over for another oil change.

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Kaldar what year was your WRX, how was it modded, and what type and brand of oil were you running when it went boom?

Friend of mine sitting next to me at work wants to know. :)

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
i have been using rp 5w20 for the last 22k miles with no problems. im considering switching over to a thicker oil since the car is going to be hitting the track once a week on the bottle plus dd duty during the week and here in miami is 80 to 100 degrees almost all the time.im still having problem deciding between 5w30 ot 10w40 dough.
so taking in account my conditions what weight will you guys use.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
FWIW doesn't Saleen and Roush recommend 5w-30 for their supercharged cars?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back