oil leak, HELP!!

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
So i just installed my new stoker engintwo weeks ago..when i turned it over a noticed a oil leak coming from the rear of the oil pan.. drop every couple of seconds.at first i forgot to add a dab of rtv on the back corners of the oil pan where the rear crank seal and block meet...so i added it. (Bmr k memember ftw) and it still leaks not as bad tho.....took it old off and spreaded it alittle more and added it on both top and bottom of the oil pan gasket and still the same thing, might of made it worse not by to much to. The only other thing is the rear crank seal. I looked at my old engines rear crank seal and it has no signs of any rtv ever being on there. Its also totally flat, doesnt have any grooves to where rtv should go. This is the same with the new engine, totally flat. All i did was get the rear crank seal and bolt it on. Could i of maybe not tightened it on enough or i need to add rtv even if its all flat? Or do i need to remove the rtv and try it again? Or am i totally missing something?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I've had a leaky rear main seal. If you used the national brand that comes in a fel pro set the odds are it's the seal. They have a well documented history of dripping in mod motors. Besides having "National" embossed in the rubber the color is a reddish brown. Motorcraft seals are black and work real well. It could be something else like a leaky front cover. I've had that too. The oil will migrate down the block, along the oil pan gasket, and drip in the rear due to the natural angle of the motor.

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
it is a felpro gasket i got from orielys.and Hmm...it does take a while for if to show up on inital start up then its constant. Im going to check check up front cause the cars in an angle now

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
it is a felpro gasket i got from orielys.and Hmm...it does take a while for if to show up on inital start up then its constant. Im going to check check up front cause the cars in an angle now

Check the upper part of the V on the front cover. Is it a 3v block or something else?

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
Wait you mean theres a gasket that goes around the seal of your talking about the circle shape thing that is on the rear crank plate?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Not sure what you are talking about, lol. The front cover v is where oil will collect but since you are using a 3v block I'm fairly certain everything is ok up front.

Wait you mean theres a gasket that goes around the seal of your talking about the circle shape thing that is on the rear crank plate?

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure what you are talking about, lol. The front cover v is where oil will collect but since you are using a 3v block I'm fairly certain everything is ok up front.

Probably coming from the front...could it be cause i unbloted the oil pan and didnt replace the front corners with new gasket maker? Cause i did unbolt it but not completely from the front. Enough to have space in the back to put rtv. I push up on the tab of the oil pan gasket and oil pops around it, not sure if thats from when i brought it down the oil pan and some oil got around or not.

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
Just looking at pictures and seeing oil in odd places, you did put rtv or anaerobic sealer on the rear plate flange correct?

I didnt see any groves or anything on the rear crank plate to put rtv sealer on so i put the plate and block on with out any rtv sealer. Its a flat plate on flat surface on the block. I looked at the old block (first pics) and its also a flat block on a flat plate with no signs of any rtv sealer ever on there.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Trace it back. Take off the water pump pulley and see if there is any oil in the v. A lot of times the oil pan gasket won't survive having the pan pulled. The rubber inserts pull loose and never do seal again unless you coat everything in rtv.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I didnt see any groves or anything on the rear crank plate to put rtv sealer on so i put the plate and block on with out any rtv sealer. Its a flat plate on flat surface on the block. I looked at the old block (first pics) and its also a flat block on a flat plate with no signs of any rtv sealer ever on there.

Factory blocks that I've taken apart have gasket maker on them. That black stuff that never cures. I generally use rtv or gasket maker when putting it back together. Both work.

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
Factory blocks that I've taken apart have gasket maker on them. That black stuff that never cures. I generally use rtv or gasket maker when putting it back together. Both work.

You coat the whole flat plate in rtv and put in on? And no oil where the V meets up at...i guess it must be just a bad gasket..cause i traced it to the front of the oil pan... ill try changing the oil pan gasket first i guess. Or should i go to changing the rear plate and assing rtv to it?

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
You coat the whole flat plate in rtv and put in on? And no oil where the V meets up at...i guess it must be just a bad gasket..cause i traced it to the front of the oil pan... ill try changing the oil pan gasket first i guess. Or should i go to changing the rear plate and assing rtv to it?
You put a bead on the mating surface where it touches the block. If there's no RTV it will leak.

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
You put a bead on the mating surface where it touches the block. If there's no RTV it will leak.

So by mating surfaces you mean the whole rear seal? Cause it all makes contact, there is no just one or two spots that touch like the timing cover. If you look at the first two pics thats the old blocks rear seal. The new blocks rear is similar in the way that they are both flat and have no groves that show rtv needs to be placed.the old blocks rear didnt have any rtv on it when i took it off to check.

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
I dont know if one bolt makes a huge diffrence but i over torque one of the oil pan bolts of the timing cover and now it just there skipping. Stupid wrench didnt click at 18lbs..since i followed it up to the front of the pan i guess i must be leaking from there. Didnt think one bolt would make a big diffrence

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
So by mating surfaces you mean the whole rear seal? Cause it all makes contact, there is no just one or two spots that touch like the timing cover. If you look at the first two pics thats the old blocks rear seal. The new blocks rear is similar in the way that they are both flat and have no groves that show rtv needs to be placed.the old blocks rear didnt have any rtv on it when i took it off to check.
I'm referring to the perimeter. Like the rail of the plate. That's where you need to put the RTV.
I dont know if one bolt makes a huge diffrence but i over torque one of the oil pan bolts of the timing cover and now it just there skipping. Stupid wrench didnt click at 18lbs..since i followed it up to the front of the pan i guess i must be leaking from there. Didnt think one bolt would make a big diffrence

It does. Did the same thing to my engine. The oil pushed past the rail. It's not hard to helicoil it thankfully.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Here's the page from the service manual showing the sealant that needs to be put on the rear main cover plate.

rear-main-cover_zps07cb7ff3.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back