Reaction score
that could be your issue, no need to use a wrench when putting the filter on

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yea I just lube the o ring, then hand tight + 1/4 or so by hand

SYNY5TER

Reaction score
thumbs up to stkjock no need to use a wrench. always use hand to tighten oil filter

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hand tight then 1/2 turn with wrench until tight

Seriously?! Every single oil filter says on the box "DO NOT USE WRENCH TO TIGHTEN."

Want to know why? THIS. :disgust:

Does "RCHARLES" stand for "Ray Charles"? Because that's the only way you have an excuse.

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
28 years since my dad taught me- "hand tighten then 1/4 turn with the wrench". Hundreds of oil changes later, the only time I ever had a filter break was after trying to use a f'd up wrench. I bet it's your wrench.

Never read the box.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I always go 3/4 to 1 turn past gasket contact. That's what most of the boxes I've read say. Sometimes there just isn't enough room or access to do it by hand and a wrench is needed. It depends on the vehicle.

crjackson

Reaction score
I always go 3/4 to 1 turn past gasket contact. That's what most of the boxes I've read say. Sometimes there just isn't enough room or access to do it by hand and a wrench is needed. It depends on the vehicle.

This exactly... About 35 years ago I used to be a line tech. for Chevrolet. You'd be surprised how many people I cursed under my breath for torquing a filter with a wrench.

+10 to to BruceH FTW

Back