Low oil pressure at stop

Exhilarants

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2005 mustang GT automatic with 170k miles. Nothing too major no problems until today when I got to a stop my oil pressure dropped all the way down, so I got out and looked underneath the car and the hood and there’s no leaks or anything. Is it a sensor or could it be something I’m unaware of?

AHaze

Reaction score
If the gauge is pointing somewhere in the normal range while driving and then drops to zero at idle, there's a good chance you have extremely low pressure. A faulty sensor is more likely cause the gauge to stick in one spot. The gauge in the cluster is basically a dummy light with a needle that shows "some" or "none". Check it with a real gauge before you spin a bearing.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
You could either have a bad oil pressure gauge sending unit or a real low oil pressure problem.
As @AHaze suggested, hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to properly check the oil pressure on a hot engine both at idle and at 2500rpm. Post the results and we can advise you from there.
In the meantime don't drive the car and risk catastrophic engine damage.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Could me mechanical or something simple. Did you just get the car? When was the oil changed last? Could be simple like older oil that is breaking down.

Exhilarants

Reaction score
You could either have a bad oil pressure gauge sending unit or a real low oil pressure problem.
As @AHaze suggested, hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to properly check the oil pressure on a hot engine both at idle and at 2500rpm. Post the results and we can advise you from there.
In the meantime don't drive the car and risk catastrophic engine damage.
It was the oil sending unit! Replaced it and did a oil change while I was at it and pressure is back to normal, thank you so much!

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
That.... 'oil pressure gauge' stays in one spot on my 2010, does not budge...at idle or higher rpm. With a real gauge in there, it will read high on start up...and even higher with more rpm...and even higher if below freezing...until it warms up.

Back