Oil out Breather

twilson1918

forum member
Reaction score
Ive been noticing excess oil out my passenger side breather enough to pool on the valve cover, what are the causes of this? Seems like an awful lot of pressure being built up to blow out the breather this much. My drivers side is basically bone dry. Any input would help thanks!
Passenger side

Drivers side

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Did you remove the pcv valve under the baffle on the drivers side?

I have a little oil that comes out the breathers too.

twilson1918

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think I did that might be a place to start ill have to double check if I did or not when I get back home, I still don't see how the passenger side is blowing so much out

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Common Problem, mine pukes it right into the sparkplugs.
I never had the PCV removed.
Some people have great results with the oil fill breather.
Could possibly be caused by excessive blowby though.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I don't think I did that might be a place to start ill have to double check if I did or not when I get back home, I still don't see how the passenger side is blowing so much out

The pcv system is designed to draw fresh air from the passenger side and discharge it through the driver side. When you go to breathers it all changes. I also saw oil coming out the passenger side when I tried breathers. This was with a motor than used very little oil. Within a few days I went back to a pcv system. Works great and keeps a good vacuum on the motor. Plus it doesn't smell.

Sarge1400

forum member
Reaction score
The pcv system is designed to draw fresh air from the passenger side and discharge it through the driver side. When you go to breathers it all changes. I also saw oil coming out the passenger side when I tried breathers. This was with a motor than used very little oil. Within a few days I went back to a pcv system. Works great and keeps a good vacuum on the motor. Plus it doesn't smell.

Agreed, breathers are not the thing to use on a boosted engine.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I see quite a bit of vapor coming out of my combo catch can/breather. It is right under my hood vent.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Another spring, another year, another breather vs pcv debate.

Sarge1400

forum member
Reaction score
Oil vapor reduces octane. You don't want it in your intake.

That is a widely-held belief, with very little actual data to back it up. Yes, oil vapor DOES reduce octane (on paper anyway), but nobody seems to have any actual real-world numbers on whether or not it makes any difference on a street driven car.

A lot of guys - myself included - use a catch can in the pcv line on the passenger side valve cover. Works well, and keeps the crap out of the intake.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you have excess oil leaking from it you likely have excessive blowby, small amount is to be expected. Last time I saw a oil saturated and dripping breather, the motor blew a ringland a few weeks later. Leak down test would not hurt to check your piston rings. Also a oil fill neck breather helps as well.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Where can you get a oil filler tube breather for coyote cars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

twilson1918

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! I ran a jlt catch can in the past its such a tight fit with the paxton it broke on me twice that's why I went with breathers, looks like ill be getting a leak down test as well thanks s&h

twilson1918

forum member
Reaction score
Well digging in more and more, metal shavings in coolant, low coolant level, noticing white smoke on start up only. Really hoping I don't have a serious problem, head gasket? Where can I get leakdown test and compression checks done for a decent price?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back