OK mechanical GURU's

kenneth

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Having a issue with my car and want to see if someone can diagnose it.I've been datalogging it all morning and talking back and forth with my tuner and he's 99% sure it's the........This is what it's doing.when I start the car if I don't immediately give it gas it'll run at idle for a couple minutes than die.also the AFR gauge pegs out at 15.8The only way to keep it running is keeping the RPM's above 1500, then the AFR stays around 14.7-14.8if I give it gas too fast it'll peg out rich 9-10 AFR.Also noticed a little ticking coming from the enginr bay more noticable on the passenger side.Car is going to the shop tomorrow morning.Any guesses

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Having a issue with my car and want to see if someone can diagnose it.I've been datalogging it all morning and talking back and forth with my tuner and he's 99% sure it's the........
Sounds like a fubar MAF or transfer table...

That's pretty much what it does if you "guess" with the transfer table on a new MAF and get it wrong...

Was this setup/tune working before?

If not the MAF/xfer table then next is bad fuel pump? Have you looked at fuel pressure?

After that its bad injectors or again fubar tune with the wrong injector values...

Last but not least, you ingested a kitten into your intake... :omfg:

p.s. also make sure your intake path is not leaking - unmetered air will do this too... re-seat the intake hose...

kenneth

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes it was running before

According to datalogs it appears to be the CAM phasers

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes it was running before

According to datalogs it appears to be the CAM phasers
Any other codes?

Cam phasers could certainly cause erratic idle, but if the AF is off that much, I'd be looking further up the intake...

Wondering if maybe your MAF is unhappy because your voltage is bouncing around? Cam issues are usually the alternator...

Any codes? Reseat connectors of course and check for rubbed/shorted wires on the MAF...

Headed out for a bit, I'll check in later today...

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yesterday codes P0174 and P2196
Which, if I recall correct are just pegged rich and pegged lean...

Again, cams could cause rough idle, but I would not expect them to influence AF to that degree...

That sounds electrical/sensor or tune related (along the lines of my first post) - bad MAF, bad xfer table or something shorted...

I supposed if the Alternator had completely lost its mind it might screw up the PCM enough to do that too...

Check your voltage for way low or wild swings...

kenneth

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well Cekim you were closer than the tuner was, car's at the shop right now.
Ended up being a lovebug stuck inside the MAF sensor causing the sensor not to read at low RPM's.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ken check the connector up top of the valve cover ....... the cam position sensor ? i think it's called the big plug up front ........you may have knocked it while putting that can on

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ended up being a lovebug stuck inside the MAF sensor causing the sensor not to read at low RPM's.

bwahahahahahahahahaha fuckin a , lmao a lovebug ftmfw lol

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Glad you found it...

The cams on this car cause all sorts of confusion but 11 times out of ten when they freak out - something else caused it... (well, ok, there were some TSBs on the phasers, but most of the time cam issues are electrical or oil pressure related...

Bug would do it - it is trying to measure small temp changes in an air passage... Plug it up with a bug and you were reading "heated bug"... :idea:

That screws up load computation and fuel which in tern screws up everything else...

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

... had a spider build a nest in mine while it sat on the shelf or h/c swap... good stuff :clap:

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score
shit my car has been setting for a while, watch i'll have a damn bird nest in something. lol

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
shit my car has been setting for a while, watch i'll have a damn bird nest in something. lol
rodents love the valley under the intake of modern cars:thud:

They collect all manner of flammable materials in there... leaves, pine needles fabric... Its not pretty...

hottcobra

come try to take my guns!
Reaction score
rodents love the valley under the intake of modern cars:thud:

They collect all manner of flammable materials in there... leaves, pine needles fabric... Its not pretty...

they also love to chew up the injector harness

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back