OMG what a turd !!

Proto

Reaction score
To the OP, no worries man, these things are turds stock. My first trip out, stock resulted in 13.3's. The following week went out with intake/pulley/tune and knocked it down to a 12.1. Then just recently on some m/t's pulled an 11.84 with a 1.87 60. Im a rookie at best, however a p/i/t'd gt500 is an entirely different animal!

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Guys, guys guys. This is simple, on a 90 degree day, bone stock gt5000 the stock tune was pulling all kinds of timing. Car was probably only putting down 350-375rwhp which in a car that heavy those times look dead on.

The stock tune is very safe and on a hot day with heat soak I agree, the car is definetly a turd. Just a tune would have had good gains.

+1 on the GT, details!!!!!!!!!

Bingo. Especially if you tried to let it sit. The HE fluid just gets heat soaked then. If you drove it to the track, you're better off to make a run right as you get there as the drive keeps the HE fluid temp down. Otherwise it's going to have to cool for quite some time to change much. I tried letting it sit with the hood open and ice on the blower for 45 minutes once, didn't change anything as the HE fluid was still heat soaked.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Bingo. Especially if you tried to let it sit. The HE fluid just gets heat soaked then. If you drove it to the track, you're better off to make a run right as you get there as the drive keeps the HE fluid temp down. Otherwise it's going to have to cool for quite some time to change much. I tried letting it sit with the hood open and ice on the blower for 45 minutes once, didn't change anything as the HE fluid was still heat soaked.

This is where twin fans on the heat exchanger really make a difference.

stretch

forum member
Reaction score
To the OP, no worries man, these things are turds stock. My first trip out, stock resulted in 13.3's. The following week went out with intake/pulley/tune and knocked it down to a 12.1. Then just recently on some m/t's pulled an 11.84 with a 1.87 60. Im a rookie at best, however a p/i/t'd gt500 is an entirely different animal!

ty.

stretch

forum member
Reaction score
You still haven't posted the time slip or listed the 1/8th mile ET/MPH. The quality of answers you get is directly related to information given. You really didn't give us any info---Why are you asking if you already know the answer?

I bet your tune was pulling all kinds of timing on the big end, but I don't know for sure until you post the 1/8th mph.

i recycled those timeslips because it was a waste of paper to have #'s that slow printed on them. lol
the 1/8 was an 8.6 at 85mph

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, 21 mph to the 1/4 (vs the 1/8th) is way off for a s/c car. Its pulling timing, probably due to high IATs, a lot of knock sensor activity (which you can datalog to verify) or a combo of a few other factors. A s/c car should easily be able to achieve at least a 25 mph difference, which would put you at 110 mph (at least), which is what I would have expected.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to add--- whenever I would loose mph on the big end a lot of times it was just the plugs (as the IATs were normal, no knock sensor activity) but mph was down a good 4-5 mph. Changed the plugs and problem solved--so it could be as easy as that.

This held true also for several friends of mine who also ran KBs or Whipples, when the plugs started to go south, the mph on the big end was affected a lot.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Ok, 21 mph to the 1/4 (vs the 1/8th) is way off for a s/c car. Its pulling timing, probably due to high IATs, a lot of knock sensor activity (which you can datalog to verify) or a combo of a few other factors. A s/c car should easily be able to achieve at least a 25 mph difference, which would put you at 110 mph (at least), which is what I would have expected.

The '07-09 GT500's didn't have knock sensors. Whatever timing was being pulled had to be from the high IAT's.

me32

forum member
Reaction score
for stock 3.31 gears the 28in tire is way too tall, also you need to roast those tires good an lanuch at like 4k if the car is stock to get it out of the hole

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
for stock 3.31 gears the 28in tire is way too tall, also you need to roast those tires good an lanuch at like 4k if the car is stock to get it out of the hole

I agree. Gears, a pulley, and a tune completely changes the GT500 from somewhat of a pig, to a real animal. I've installed 4.10's in a couple GT500's and what a difference that makes.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
prolly driver mod....lol...according to alot of the pros on here that have never been south of the 13s.

New Sig material!!!!:beerdrink:
Oh, I forgot to add--- whenever I would loose mph on the big end a lot of times it was just the plugs (as the IATs were normal, no knock sensor activity) but mph was down a good 4-5 mph. Changed the plugs and problem solved--so it could be as easy as that.

This held true also for several friends of mine who also ran KBs or Whipples, when the plugs started to go south, the mph on the big end was affected a lot.

How can you tell they are going bad? I have had my HTO's in there for 2 years and about 8,000 miles. And I have noticed my mph has decreased...

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I agree. Gears, a pulley, and a tune completely changes the GT500 from somewhat of a pig, to a real animal. I've installed 4.10's in a couple GT500's and what a difference that makes.

I said the same thing 60 post's ago but all the pro racers didn't agree. :handjob:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I didn't take his question to be how he could mod his car---rather what is wrong with the car now. No matter how you slice it, 21 mph gain from the 1/8th to the quarter just plain sucks for a s/c car. MPH is HP, so there is something else going on I in my opinion.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I didn't take his question to be how he could mod his car---rather what is wrong with the car now. No matter how you slice it, 21 mph gain from the 1/8th to the quarter just plain sucks for a s/c car. MPH is HP, so there is something else going on I in my opinion.

Weight, headwind, heatsoak with the stock tune, 3.31's, etc. It all adds up to a crappy MPH.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Guys I don't think he bought this car to keep and mod. He buys and sells exotic cars for a living and he was just commenting on how slow he thought the GT500 was. He has a 10 second modded Mustang already.

Earl

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
he was just commenting on how slow he thought the GT500 was.

And we're just commenting on why... Stock 03 Cobras are turds, as are stock GT500's. But everyone's point here is that a couple light mods and the "turdiness" can be laid to rest.

stretch

forum member
Reaction score
And we're just commenting on why... Stock 03 Cobras are turds, as are stock GT500's. But everyone's point here is that a couple light mods and the "turdiness" can be laid to rest.
my last 03 cobra with a few mods went 9.0's at 150+...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back