On3Performance 3v build

08nastygt

forum member
Reaction score
Ok I'll show you guys when I get home from school tonight where i've seen these turbos tapped. So I don't tap the wrong spot.

08nastygt

forum member
Reaction score
Ok here is where I have seen it tapped. Now would it read there or is there something easier I can do?
turbopic.jpg

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
it will read a good source from there. the only other choice i could think of is a good spot off the intake manifold.

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
Wastegate should have a dedicated vac line the bov is fine with the gauge.

Ask on3 what spring came in their wastegate what ever the spring is, thats the minumum boost the car will make

just cuz it says 8lb spring doesnt mean thats what you will see. on my civic i had a tial wg 7lb spring but i only made 6.1lbs. my friend had a tubular manifold with tial wg 4lb spring and he made almost 15lbs. its a matter of wg placement, vac, source, and manifold design.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
just cuz it says 8lb spring doesnt mean thats what you will see. on my civic i had a tial wg 7lb spring but i only made 6.1lbs. my friend had a tubular manifold with tial wg 4lb spring and he made almost 15lbs. its a matter of wg placement, vac, source, and manifold design.

There are tons of factors effecting how much boost you will actually see, wastegate quality is of course one of the bigger factors. The spring is just a starting point obviously.

My buddy has an 7lb spring as is only making 4lbs do to an exhuast leak and a crappy wastegate lol

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
There are tons of factors effecting how much boost you will actually see, wastegate quality is of course one of the bigger factors. The spring is just a starting point obviously.

My buddy has an 7lb spring as is only making 4lbs do to an exhuast leak and a crappy wastegate lol

yea i had a friend blow a freshly built motor cuz he saved a few bucks on the wastegate. im all for tial or go home.

08nastygt

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't heard anyone having problems with the bov or wastegate in the kit which is good. Also if I'm going to have to tap the turbo how big of a fitting is needed? Same size that's one the wastegate I'm assuming, or does it need to be bigger. It's crazy how much time little stuff takes, I've been working on like 4 things for 2 weeks it seems like. Hopefully this weekend I'll be done and able to get on the dyno and road in a couple weeks.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yea i had a friend blow a freshly built motor cuz he saved a few bucks on the wastegate. im all for tial or go home.

Tial and turbosmart are top notch, i already have a tial billet 50mm bov and am now looking for a wastgate between those two companies.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard anyone having problems with the bov or wastegate in the kit which is good. Also if I'm going to have to tap the turbo how big of a fitting is needed? Same size that's one the wastegate I'm assuming, or does it need to be bigger. It's crazy how much time little stuff takes, I've been working on like 4 things for 2 weeks it seems like. Hopefully this weekend I'll be done and able to get on the dyno and road in a couple weeks.

The kits pretty damn new still, but i wouldnt but too much faith in those parts. Just find a threaded barb in the right size to fit it on.

08nastygt

forum member
Reaction score
Ran the BOV line today into the fuel rail vaccum with my boost gauge today. Also finished up the BAP hook up. Now I just got to tap the turbo which should be fun. I hope it works or at least is the right spot. What sucks now is the spot for the catch can is where he relocates the power steering, now I'm going to have to find a different spot I'm thinking down by the ABS box.

cargomech

Reaction score
If you are going to tap the turbo in that spot, can you remove the compressor housing? You are going to want to make sure you get no metal shavings in there. There is an easier spot to tap it and you can get to the other side without removing the housing. If you tap the housing between the "M24" and the compressor outlet. I know all of the stock turbo cars I have had have been tapped there.

Also, IF you know what spring you are going to have in the wastegate and you do not intend to change the pressures w/ a boost controller of some sort there is no need to tap the turbo just yet. The wastegate spring pressure will regulate the amount of pressure your car will be seeing. Just make sure you have the correct spring for the pressure. I will agree with Lightblade in that TIAL and TurboSmart are 2 of the better companies out there in the terms of wastegates. However through my last 8 years of experience with turbo cars I have had 2 TurboSmart wastegates fail causing major over-boost conditions. They would only open about half way and the piston shaft was grinding against the housing. TIAL 44mm all the way.

Here is the install diagram from TIAL for a wastegate. The "manual air regulator or electronic air control valve" is the boost controller.
http://www.tialmedia.com/documents/w3_tial_wginstall.pdf

08nastygt

forum member
Reaction score
So according to the diagram I have to tap in anywhere befor the throttle plate which would mean throttle body? So to the piping, I feel like I'm reading Chinese when looking at this crap. It says from intake manifold before throttle plate. At least I don't have to tap the turbo for now though once I figure this crap out.

cargomech

Reaction score
I would still tap the turbo. There has to be a reason that almost all OEM turbos that I have delt with are tapped by the compressor outlet.

I would tap it where the hole is on this Turbonetics 60 Series

60series.jpg

Last edited:

08nastygt

forum member
Reaction score
I guess I'll do that tomorrow, I'm alittle more comfortable with that since the shavings will fall out. Just have to undo the pipe since I already got it hooked up and get a fitting for it.

08nastygt

forum member
Reaction score
Well the car is pretty much done now. Just have to put the bumper back on it. Tapped the turbo today for the wastegate looks like the turbnetics turbo. Also got the MAF in the MAFia hooked up all the fluids and what not in it. Nothing is leaking so far true test will be when it's running. Here's what the turbo looks like tapped and the wastegate line hooked into it tell me what you think.
4b1ffd5e.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back