On3performance kit, Vortech, or stay with Nitrous

Candy09GT

Reaction score
I am wanting to boost my Stang but can not make up my mind on what to do. If I go with the On3performance kit I do plan on upgrading the turbo, BOV and waste gate. But also along with the turbo I will have to ditch the long tube headers I have now and change out my 4.10 gears. Hence why I am thinking about the Vortech kit and change out my gears later. I have also thought about just keeping the nitrous. Does anyone have any advice?

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
Get rid of the bottle. I like my vortech but waiting for boost to build in it is like watching paint dry sometimes. If I get another power adder I'll get a kb or whipple, so if I was you try to find one used for a good price

Candy09GT

Reaction score
I have thought about trying to wait and get a Roush TVS but I am way to impatient to wait that long. But isnt waiting for boost to build better for launching? That way you are not building so much boost and blowing the tires off the car.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you get the Vortech no need to get rid of the 410 gears.

Centri s/c's are easier on parts in the engine and drivetrain.

I have owned an 03 Cobra which has the PD blower and have the Vortech on my 2010; I prefer the Vortech over the PD blower.

The On3 turbo kit is good if you upgrade the turbo itself, lots of threads/discussion on here about it but like you said you would need to uninstall the LT's and the gears.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
It won't build as much boost, but if it's not building enough it will launch and then bog. Mines partly because of the tall tire on it but it is hard to find the sweet spot to launch it either bogs or spins like crazy

Candy09GT

Reaction score
If I do the Vortech I was going to get the Brenspeed upgradable kit and do an air to air intercooler and so on.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had the A2W on mine and swapped it to A2A and much happier with it.

OP-are you stick or automatic and are you on the stock bottom end or forged?

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you set it up right, a Vortech will work just fine. Give the car more gear, and go with a 3.48 pulley or smaller, it helps with the torque curve alot..Dont granny shift it at 5,500 rpms. If you ahve a good tuner who knows what he is doing, run that son of a bitch to 6,600 rpm in 3rd and 4th gears, thats where all you power is, from 5,000-7,000 rpm..Too many guys shift to early with centry's..

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have my Vortech V2 head unit for sale if you are serious about getting a Vortech....then you could piece together the A2A kit and set it up the way you want.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I am wanting to boost my Stang but can not make up my mind on what to do. If I go with the On3performance kit I do plan on upgrading the turbo, BOV and waste gate. But also along with the turbo I will have to ditch the long tube headers I have now and change out my 4.10 gears. Hence why I am thinking about the Vortech kit and change out my gears later. I have also thought about just keeping the nitrous. Does anyone have any advice?

I'd go centri. Vortech, Paxton, or Procharger. You are already set up for it and install is fairly straight forward.

Get rid of the bottle. I like my vortech but waiting for boost to build in it is like watching paint dry sometimes. If I get another power adder I'll get a kb or whipple, so if I was you try to find one used for a good price

Try some 4.56 gears. Good Lord does the power come on strong with them. Nice and linear too. From "real fast" to "OMG" in the blink of an eye if you are in the correct gear.

If you set it up right, a Vortech will work just fine. Give the car more gear, and go with a 3.48 pulley or smaller, it helps with the torque curve alot..Dont granny shift it at 5,500 rpms. If you ahve a good tuner who knows what he is doing, run that son of a bitch to 6,600 rpm in 3rd and 4th gears, thats where all you power is, from 5,000-7,000 rpm..Too many guys shift to early with centry's..

Yep, that's how mine works. A nice linear hp, tq, and boost curve with most of the boost coming on in the higher rpms. I'm really liking the Paxton and how well it compliments the 4.6 3v. It picks up where the small displacement falls off.

Candy09GT

Reaction score
PM replied.

My car is a stick. I am taking the drag radials off it here soon to sell if anyone is interested in them. Going to get a set of racestars later on after I get some boost

Chino

03 Mach 1 & 08 GT
Reaction score
Not to thread jack but:

Greg, anything wrong with the head unit? What's the background on it?

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Greg is off but I can help answer your question. His head unit is in perfect condition, if I remember correctly he sent it back in Jan for a full overhaul and upgrade to an si. Greg is upgrading to a bigger unit, that is why he is selling. He has it listed in the classifieds.

Earl

calispecial08

forum member
Reaction score
Not to threadjack guys but gregs headunit is mine :)

Last edited:

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yes i have stock bottom end with future plans to forge later on.

If you do go turbo, real no need to upgrade the turbo till you upgrade your motor since the stock turbo make way more then our motors can handle. My only complaint so far about these turbo is the ground clearance. My car lowered and I seem to be hitting everywhere. I'm either going put a taller tire up front or put stock springs back on or both.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back