Our 2010 tear down has begun.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With the 170 deg thermo, does that mean the engine is always running in open loop? And if so, why that? Is there no way to "make power" and tune a "monster build" like this in closed loop?

I think closed loop is also a time function with these cars. My '05 and '06 have 180° right from the factory. 170° is pretty close to that. Some here run 160°'s.
In my view a motor needs to see the coolant stay in the radiator long enough to do an exchange. Too low a thermostat would keep it flowng too quick for it to happen. BUT I think all the °'s mentioned here are working for peeps here.

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
With the 170 deg thermo, does that mean the engine is always running in open loop? And if so, why that? Is there no way to "make power" and tune a "monster build" like this in closed loop?

Sorry for the late response. I'm not 100% sure what you're meaning by open loop. As someone else stated I believe that's a term used for tuning but have never heard it used in relation to the cooling system. My best guess is that you're asking if we put the 170 stat in does the coolant just keep on circulating through the system. Well if the coolant at operating temp reaches the 170 mark then yes coolant will flow until the temperature drops below 170 and the stat will then close. We also have the fans come on earlier as well. This way we're pulling ambient air across the radiator to cool the fluid earlier. From what I've learned the cooler the temps the better/safer we are. As far as tuning a car and making power with the stat closed I'm not sure why we would want to do that. Keeping the cooling system closed would be like turning off the intercooler pump. It's not something that we'd want to do.

Hope that helps.

Jared

Last edited:

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Here's how the car sits with the QA1 front coil overs, QA1 rear shocks and Eibach sportline springs.
PA270218.jpg

PA270219.jpg

PA270220.jpg

PA270221.jpg

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
Do you guys like that shelby intercooler? I'm debating on getting that, the Afco unit, or the killer chiller system

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Aren't there issues with running a too cool of a thermostat...?
Isn't there a certain temperature the metals/engine needs to be for thermal efficiency?

Lowering the temps below a certain design limit would cause premature engine wear due to the various metals not being able to reach their optimum operating temperature (think expansion/contraction).

Just wondering if you know what the design limits are...or what your view is on this...

Awesome build though...

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late response. I'm not 100% sure what you're meaning by open loop. As someone else stated I believe that's a term used for tuning but have never heard it used in relation to the cooling system. My best guess is that you're asking if we put the 170 stat in does the coolant just keep on circulating through the system. Well if the coolant at operating temp reaches the 170 mark then yes coolant will flow until the temperature drops below 170 and the stat will then close. We also have the fans come on earlier as well. This way we're pulling ambient air across the radiator to cool the fluid earlier. From what I've learned the cooler the temps the better/safer we are. As far as tuning a car and making power with the stat closed I'm not sure why we would want to do that. Keeping the cooling system closed would be like turning off the intercooler pump. It's not something that we'd want to do.

Hope that helps.

Jared

Umm, open loop/closed loop as far as the ECM. Unless things have changed since the EEC IV days, when the cars first started and until it reaches "operating temp", back then 190 deg, the ECM ran in "open loop". The spark timing, fuel mix via injector pulse width, etc, was rich. The digital equivalent of the choke closed on a carb car.

So, if the thermo opens up at 170, the car never reaches the operating temp required for the ECM to switch to closed loop. The 5.0 guys would put in a 160 deg thermo back then so it would force the ECM to stay in open loop so they, hypothetically, at least, would see a potential for higher power output due to the (overly) rich tune.

So, does this still apply?

Last edited:

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
Even though the thermostat is opening at 170 there is no way the cooling system is going to be able to maintain 170* with that much boost. What he was saying was in his experience "getting a jump on cooling" has helped him out. Meeting operating temperatures will not be a problem with this car. Keeping it cool may well be a problem.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back