Overdrive indicator flashing

saleen836

forum member
Reaction score
A fellow Mustang owner who lives near me has a V6 Auto with a problem, after driving for approx 50miles the overdrive indicator light started flashing, the rev counter remained the same along with everything else, when the overdrive button was engaged on the auto transmission it still worked as normal but the light still flashed.
Not had chance to hook it up to a code reader yet.

Any ideas?

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
A. The flashing OD light indicates there is a problem in the transmission control system. When the Transmission Control Unit detects a malfunction it will flash the OD light and store a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) in the computer. You will need to have a Ford Dealer pull the codes and determine exactly what is wrong.
I wish I could be more specific, but there are about 120 different reasons for the flashing OD light.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
The easiest thing to do, stop the car, turn it off, restart it, and see if it is still there.
My v6 used to do that once in a rare while, for no apparant reason.
If the o/d stays flashing at all times, there's a problem that should be addressed asap to prevent further trans damage.

bossmanpena

Team OverDrive
Reaction score
i have this exact issue and i hooked it up to my american muscle tuner and got p0741 i thinkkkk its supposed to be solenoid problem and ive taken my car to the dealer and since it only comes up after certain amount of driving they have supposedly not had the flashing light issue

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
My SCT doesnt read them. I get it now and then because of the cams.

Ocean8492

forum member
Reaction score
Friend of mine drives an 08 GT and his is on all the time. Dealer said it was an ABS sensor that caused both the OD light, ABS light and TCS to light up.

eddyroxx

forum member
Reaction score
you need some special scanner or take it to the dealer to read those kind of codes

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back