pad knockback?

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
So heres my issue, upon braking it sounds like my left rear brake is thumping. Ive researched pad knockback but I am still a little lost on it. Do our OEM calipers do this alot? is there a certain way to fix this? The noise is quite noticeable upon braking coming off the highway.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thumping which correlates to the speed of rotation can pretty much only happen if the disc is warped. I would turn or replace the disc.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
+1. If your brakes are pulsating when stopping, you most likely have a warped rotor..somewhere. Evenly-torquing the wheel nuts helps to reduce this (before the rotors get warped).

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Pisses me off seeing the tire guys at the shop throwing the wheel on and using the impact gun to tighten the crap out of the first lug nut when none of the others are on yet. You need to run all the lugs on first, then tighten them (in an alternating pattern). I learned that when I was 7 years old in my dad's service station.

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
I've changed the rotors nothing...I'm going to check the fronts to cover everything but it just blows my mind!! Oh lug nuts are good to go

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
i had a bad hub (bearings) on the rt frt and i swore it was coming from the rear. found it replacing the frt rotors(after re installing some oem control arms thinking it was the chrome moly arms and the rear end)

could also be a rear axle bearing. check all the bolts for the calipers. i always cut the lock rings that hold the rotors on off the studs so theres no chance of the wheels touching them. could even be a tire issue?

Last edited:

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
I spun the axles no grinding or anything, rotated the tires, checked rotors, pads have even wear honestly everything in the rear. I need to check the fronts just to cover my basics

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back