Painted Brake Calipers

lambalrl

Reaction score
Decided to start the next project on my 2005 Ford Mustang GT. One down three to go. Used red VHT spray paint.

Attachments

• Painted Brake Calipers.jpg
    Painted Brake Calipers.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 190
  • Painted Brake Calipers(2).jpg
    Painted Brake Calipers(2).jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
well done, I see you did it proper and didnt spray everything red lol like some caliper paint jobs Ive seen

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
well done, I see you did it proper and didnt spray everything red lol like some caliper paint jobs Ive seen

This!

I hate it when people half-a$$ it and get paint all over everything down there!

Looks great OP! Did you paint the center part of the rotor as well?

lambalrl

Reaction score
Took capliers off and cleaned everything well with a wire wheel and a steel brush along with brake cleaner and acestone. Masked off piston and bracket.

Pardue

forum member
Reaction score
Great job! I have been wanting to do this but I have not got around to it yet. I will probably use the brush on stuff when I finally do paint mine.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Great job! I have been wanting to do this but I have not got around to it yet. I will probably use the brush on stuff when I finally do paint mine.

Chris, I used the Duplicolor brush on paint when I did mine on the 07, and I can't recommend it enough! It was an easy job to do, I didn't have to remove the calipers to do a good job, and it still looked great when I traded it in after four years. And it was easy to give them a little touch up here and there every now and then.

Sorry, thread jack over.:hijacked:

06LimeGT

forum member
Reaction score
Chris, I used the Duplicolor brush on paint when I did mine on the 07, and I can't recommend it enough! It was an easy job to do, I didn't have to remove the calipers to do a good job, and it still looked great when I traded it in after four years. And it was easy to give them a little touch up here and there every now and then.

Sorry, thread jack over.:hijacked:
\

so you didnt even have to take the calipers off?

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, need to do that as well. I have the brush on set from Duplicolor. Waiting to change out my wheels so that I can do it all at once. Looks good.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Those rotors look awesome! I was going to do mine but I think I will wait til the next time I change brakes. I may do it before mustang week though. Not sure.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
\

so you didnt even have to take the calipers off?

Well, I may have not been totally clear in my post. I unbolted the calipers from the brackets, but I didn't have to disconnect the brake lines. I took some old wire coat hangers to keep the calipers from hanging by the brake lines. I also removed the caliper brackets and painted those as well. One of the perks of using the brush on kit rather than the spray. You could probably do it wth the spray paint, but you'd run the risk of overspray.

R1V3R5

5-Oh!
Reaction score
Well, I may have not been totally clear in my post. I unbolted the calipers from the brackets, but I didn't have to disconnect the brake lines. I took some old wire coat hangers to keep the calipers from hanging by the brake lines. I also removed the caliper brackets and painted those as well. One of the perks of using the brush on kit rather than the spray. You could probably do it wth the spray paint, but you'd run the risk of overspray.

It didn't come out bumpy? My buddy painted his calipers on his new Camaro using a brush kit meant for calipers. And it looks like crap.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Looks awesome! Good job!

I have the brush on Duplicolor stuff I'm going to use sitting right here. Just waiting to change out my pads to this new set of Hawk HPS performance pads, and I'll get the calipers done right like you've done with yours. I already have slotted and cross drilled rotors and the hat area has stayed rust free. But I plan to paint that area black.

If a set of calipers looks like shit after painting, you can blame the person and not the Duplicolor product. People don't properly prep the calipers or, they get in a big assed hurry to get back on the road and end up screwing it up. Or, they try to paint in temps/humidity that isn't called for on the damn instructions.

Attention to detail. Do it once and only have to touch up rock chips. I've done quite a few sets of rotors and calipers over the years and none of mine have looked like shit once I was through. They all looked factory painted.

Patience and Prep. That's all ya need.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
@R1V3RS, Nah man, it looked really good. I mean, it wasn't baby-butt smooth, but it wasn't what I would remotely call "bumpy." I did do some thorough prep work though. I took one of those paint and rust stripper wheels from 3M and attached it to my power drill and along with a lot of brake cleaner, cleaned up the calipers REALLY well, and the finish looked great. I was even able to find some small "Mustang" decals that I put on the calipers (Brembo or Cobra style), after I finished painting them.

These are the only two pics that I could fine to remotely show what I am talking about. You can barely see the caliper behind the wheel.

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

Last edited:

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
I used G2.. both of my rides, black calipers & silver rotor hats, edges, and veins (Did not repaint the factory brembos)

CCFE3012-33DB-4946-BC0F-49B1DE058B4A-9426-000009E41EA1EED7_zpsa8dcc968.jpg

2B89356D-8B87-47C2-95C5-034503EDA7A6-9426-000009E429E0AA1B_zps335d30e3.jpg

20AEB12B-50E6-4A95-B26B-5717407AF4F3-9426-000009E4339D17E1_zpsb2c6f264.jpg

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
^^^hadn't thought about doing the rotor hats and edges. That looks really clean. How did it hold up?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back