Painted valve covers

allinon72

forum member
Reaction score
I won't be able to drive my car all week because of the rain so I decided to paint my valve covers. Not quite done, but here are some pics so far. Letting them cure overnight, then starting the clear tomorrow. I'll post pics of them installed later in the week.

vc.jpg

vc2.jpg

vc3.jpg

vc4.jpg

vc5.jpg

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
Nice!

What color is that? ..I have a spare set I've been meaning to do this too or get powder coated.

Styre

It Happens
Reaction score
powder coat is the way to go. Gas and oil proof, I've been doing powder coating for awhile now. If you are interest I can do it for you. you would have to ship it to me. I'm not sure what that would cost, or if it would be worth it after shipping costs. Just a thought.

bthornton10

forum member
Reaction score
Great job!! I also agree with the others and please explain on the steps such as how many coats you did.

Also what kind of primer, paint and clear used.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Also what kind of primer, paint and clear used.

Looks like Dupli-Color engine enamel primer and clear over Dupli-Color Perfect Match exterior paint (which looks to match the car color).

I plan to do this exact same thing to my cam covers but with engine enamel Ford blue. Then I plan to paint my throttle body with semi-glass black as it looks like shit.

allinon72

forum member
Reaction score
First, I followed Tacobill's write up on removal of the covers:

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f669/ford-racing-3-valve-cam-cover-install-w-pics-453730/

Once removed, I sprayed them with a heavy coat of brake cleaner and scrubbed as much dirt off as possible.

Then I sanded the covers with 220 grit sandpaper. They actually clean up pretty good but it takes some time. I have about an hour in each cover for prep time.

I then shot them with high temp primer, sanding with 800 grit in between coats (3 coats).

Then I shot the basecoat, which in my case was Duplicolor Perfect Match paint (sonic blue).

Finally, I shot 3 coats of clear.

I will post some pics when I get them reinstalled.

HorseOnRoids

Blue Indigo
Reaction score
First, I followed Tacobill's write up on removal of the covers:

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f669/ford-racing-3-valve-cam-cover-install-w-pics-453730/

Once removed, I sprayed them with a heavy coat of brake cleaner and scrubbed as much dirt off as possible.

Then I sanded the covers with 220 grit sandpaper. They actually clean up pretty good but it takes some time. I have about an hour in each cover for prep time.

I then shot them with high temp primer, sanding with 800 grit in between coats (3 coats).

Then I shot the basecoat, which in my case was Duplicolor Perfect Match paint (sonic blue).

Finally, I shot 3 coats of clear.

I will post some pics when I get them reinstalled.

Isn't your car Vista Blue?

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Looks very good. In my mind the difference between sonic and vista is very slight, but they are both blue and thus awesome.

Is that clear you used resistant to high temps?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Back