Panhard bar keeps loosening up

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I have a J&M panhard bar and I put grease on the nuts where you adjust it to keep the area from rusting, but it seems that all I've done is make it so the nuts keep coming loose.
I don't have a wrench large enough for the nuts so I've been using chanel-lock pliers to tighten the nuts, but shortly after that I find them loose

I'm thinking of washing off the grease with brake cleaner and tightening the nuts back up one more time ...

Any thoughts/recommendations ?

2013-03-23_PB-LH_zps45a32df7.jpg

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
Buy the proper size wrench and tighten them. Channel locks aren't going to cut it.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Lol, Yes^^^
Take your ass to vatozone and spend ten bucks man!! Hahaha

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
yup get a good wrench set, hell a crescent wrench would work, get a bigass fucker and tighten it down

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I have a 12" pipe wrench that'll probably do the job ..

My question I guess is mostly whether I should clean off the grease or not ...

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a pipe wrench. The grease will increase the torque load of the nut. It's possible to apply too much clamping force with lubricated fasteners and strip the threads. Less torque value is needed to apply the clamping force when the threads are lubricated. It's not what is causing the loosening.

If you want to find the correct torque start searching the terms "sae torque, and turnbuckle. You will need to know the size and thread pitch to get a correct torque value. Choose lubricated when looking at the values.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
OK, so brake cleaner spray to clean off the grease (already have), red loctite (need to buy), and a wrench that I don't know what size I need (need to buy)

All that to keep from having loose nuts, lol

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I used loctite on mine also. this was some years ago. there is rust on there now but I figure when I lower it (one day, been talking about it forever LOL) I will just hit it with some PB blaster and patience

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
My car's already lowered and I don't plan on changing springs, ever, so if the nuts rust, so be it at this point.
I'm just sick of them coming loose

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
If I remember correctly BMR recommended blue loctite for mine. Using that and an adjustable wrench I've never had a problem since I bought the bar about 5 years ago. I always mark the nuts with paint and check every so often.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Just pick up a cheap 8" or 10" adjustable wrench. Or two of them, since you need to grab both sides of the attachment point and tighten them against each other.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I usually don't like my nuts greasy.
Buy the wrench, it won't come loose after that.

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
The amount of laziness in this thread is unbelievable... If you think buying locktight and a wrench is alot, I highly recommend you don't do your own work...

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
come on man, stop using channel locks and monkey wrenches and shit, you aint working on your kitchen sink lol, buy the proper size wrench and youll always have it

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
come on man, stop using channel locks and monkey wrenches and shit, you aint working on your kitchen sink lol, buy the proper size wrench and youll always have it

Wonder if his stereo looks like this..

h50BCE51E

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
^LMAO

BTW Gabe, a couple of adjustable wrenches are great to have when playing with O2 sensors and non foulers too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back