Paul's 2011 Race Red GT Build

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Car looks very clean and tastefully done. I would have left the side scoops and louvers, but that's just me. I also would vote for taller tires, but it sounds like you are heading in that direction when you burn those up! LOL

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks man. The scoopers and louvers just weren't my thing, and always seemed to break up the lines on the car for my personal taste. It's funny, I see them on other cars and they look bitchin', (e.g. Phuck Phace's car looks badass with the scoops) but I just didn't like them on my car. Maybe it's the color. I dunno.

I think I've settled on a set of 315/35/20s when my rear tires are shredded. Ah well, live and learn.

Paul.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Soooo, Latemodel Restoration Supply (LRS) put the '13 Shelby GT500 brakes on sale, and I couldn't help myself...

When the new Shelby Brakes came out, the cheapest you could get them was through Tousley Ford, who had the fronts for about $1285 (if you knew all the part numbers) and the rears for about $525, so it was about $1810 plus shipping. When Latemodel Restoration first put them up for sale as a complete kit (fronts and rears) they were $2299. I was ready to buy them from Tousley, but decided to wait a little bit because I didn't want to shell out the coin.

Then, a couple weeks later, LRS dropped the price to $1699 for the whole kit, which is a ridiculous price for this setup. As of today, the price has already increased to $1895, so I defnitely "got while the gettin' was good." :) I ordered them on Thursday, June 13th along with all the stuff I needed for install. (like diff fluid, brake fluid, gaskets, etc) To make things even better, I used a 5% off coupon, so the total order (including all that extra stuff) was $1695.71 SHIPPED. :mrgreen:

Here's the breakdown:
- (2) Bottles Motorcraft Brake Fluid - $14.99
- (2) Bottles Royal Purple 75w90 Gear Oil, plus Motorcraft Friction Modifier - $44.99
- (1) Lube Locker 8.8 Rear Diff Gasket - $24.99
- (1) Ford M-2300-T Brake Kit - $1699.99
- 5% Discount Coupon (minus $89.25)
- Total = $1695.71

The brake fluid, diff fluid, and gasket all arrived prompty on Wednesday, June 19th. They are shipped by LRS. The brake kit is shipped via a freight company directly from Ford, and obviously takes a little longer. After a little delay because "the truck driver had exceeded his daily DOT hour limit" I got the brakes today, the 22nd. They were supposed to arrive yesterday. Anyway, I'm excited as hell, so here's all the stuff.

Here's the big ol' box that it comes in, on a pallet. This box is HEAVY.
BrakesinaCrate_zpsab582887.jpg

Lots of stuff inside there:
CrateOpen_zpsbc8718a1.jpg

Here's all the stuff in the crate plus all the fluids I got earlier from LRS.
AllBrakeParts_zps18433376.jpg

Another shot:
AllBrakeParts2_zps9fda5825.jpg

Dust Shields, brake lines, front rotor boxes, brake fluid and friction modifier:
BrakesParts1_zps8172d919.jpg

Boxes full of calipers and anchors:
BrakesParts2_zpsd0781695.jpg

Diff fluid, new bolts, front brake lines, rear rotor boxes:
BrakesParts3_zps3ae43b4b.jpg

Front rotors. These things are shockingly large in person. (and freaking heavy!) It's nice that they're coated both around the center of the hat, and on the edges where the vanes are. They won't rust like crazy and look ugly.
FrontRotor_zps8970c799.jpg

15" and 32 pounds. Each.
FrontRotorTape_zpsa03c173b.jpg

Rears are 13.75" and XX pounds.
RearRotorTape_zpsbc8ae633.jpg

Boo yah. Front and rear calipers, and rear anchor brackets. I need to paint or powdercoat those rear anchors so they don't rust and look like crap. It looks like there was a little bit of moisture in the box, because one of the anchors already had a little rust on it.
AnchorsandCalipers_zpsf5e51660.jpg

Again - pictures don't do these things justice. They are so freaking huge.
FrontCalipers_zpsd182b150.jpg

Quick-change pads. Just pull the pins. Pretty cool. :)
FrontCaliperTop_zps736cfa13.jpg

Made it Italy, just for FoMoCo.
FrontCaliperBottom_zpsb153ec01.jpg

An attempt to show how big these calipers are:
FrontCaliperCan_zpsc0950926.jpg

FrontCaliperTape_zps1ad55e7b.jpg

Here's the whole front setup:
FrontCaliperandRotor_zpsefeae823.jpg

As a public service, I weighed everything so everyone knows what kind of weight they're adding when putting these things on. I'll also weigh all my old stuff when I pull it off. I used my bathroom scale, so these numbers are obviously just approximate.

- Front Rotors: 31.6 lbs, each
- Rear Rotors: 15.8 lbs, each
- Front Calipers: 16.6 lbs, with pads, each
- Rear Calipers 9.4 lbs, with pads, each
- Rear Anchors 5.0 lbs, each
- TOTAL WEIGHT: 156.8 Pounds

I suspect these will be substantially heavier than the stuff that comes off. Now I need to get a hold of some paint, sandpaper, brembo stencils, and prep stuff. I want to paint these 2000 Ford Mustang Sunburst Gold, with black lettering, and high-gloss clear. I might also buy a GT500 rear diff cover since I have to open the diff and pull the axles anyway. I might install a GT500 rear diff cover too, and an adjustable panhard bar since I have to pull mine off for the install. That would get my axle centered in the chassis, which would be nice. Finally, I need to ge those rear anchors powdercoated black - I might just do that myself in the garage since they're already pretty close to being ready for coating - just a little light blasting to take the rust off.

Either way, I'm really excited about this. I'm pretty confident you can't get this much braking power at a better price anywhere. This will ensure I can always stop safely in the grocery store parking lot, and impress the ricers with wheels the size of my brakes. :lol:

More to come on this project later...

Paul.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm trying to make my car as super dee-luxe as possible, then the boost will eventually come. I'm a little nervous to start sanding and painting a brand new set of calipers... but I'll get over it. :)

LTX

Lava Red
Reaction score
Damn man.. I am in love with the Race Red these days.. the lava has not been getting much love by me.. for some reason my car was stickered at 54k and it does not have half the factory adds on as yours.. car looks absolutely gorgeous.. I had glass roof on my 09 but never rains here so I never got the cool part!

Btw.. all the Race Reds are saddle interior here :(

Last edited:

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
$54K sticker? Holy cow!?!?! Do you have a GT500. I thought the highest a GT could get was $45K. Mine stickered at $44K and the only option I don't have is the Shaker 1500.

Did the dealer tack on a premium or something?

I love Race Red. When I found this on Autotrader, I saw Race Red, and glass roof, and loaded, and it was all over. I had to have it. Haha.

Paul.

LTX

Lava Red
Reaction score
Actually it coulda been 45k...

I got it for 32k used though..

Vert
Nav
Comfort Pkg
Backup Camera
Some shift knob

ThinK thats it.. lol

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Got another ricer mod today that I really like. My car has the "401A" premium leather package with the nice leather-wrapped steering wheel with contrast stitching. However, the GT500s come with the SUPER nice alcantara and leather wheel. Levittown Ford had the complete assembly for only $181.21 shipped. Pretty much the next best price on the internetz is about $250+ (thanks to this forum for letting me know that!)

This is direct plug-n-play with a simple install. Awesome. I can't wait to install it.

GT500SteeringWheel_zps76400fa1.jpg

Now my car is ever more super-deluxe! :) I might install it this weekend if I get a few minutes.

Paul.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Looking great, your car looks exactly as I want mine too... only differences will be mine doesn't have a hood scoop. :thumb:

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
I wish mine didn't have the hood scoop, but it came with the car when I bought it, and well - if that's the worst of it, I'm good. :)

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
So I got some more ricer mods to make the car go waay faster. I'm doing my very best to buy little things for the car that are easy to install and give me quick gratification. The intent of this whole process is to satisfy my need to mod the car, and prevent me from buying a Paxton or a TVS blower. It's working reasonably well thus far. I've had the car for over a year now without doing one single engine/driveline modification. I'm proud of my self restraint. The last ten Mustangs I've owned were modified within a week of purchase. The notch sitting in my garage (not running and generally sad) is way off the deep end in mods.

Anyway, the "theme" of this whole buildup, if there is such a thing, is super deluxe. My car is a little fancier than your average 2011+ GT driving around simply because it came with virtually all the factory options, including the nice 401A leather package, the glass roof, heated seats, navigation, etc... The modifications I've done thus far are to try to stay true to that by making a really nice, great looking streetcar without compromising the daily drivability of it, and still retaining the "nice car" aspect. It's no Mercedes, but is pretty deluxe for a Ford. :)

I recently bought a GT500 Alcantara steering wheel, which I'll be installing probably in September sometime.

To go along with that, I bought the '13 GT500 Alcantara shift boot with white contrast stitching, which will match the stitching on my leather. I also got the Alcantara parking brake boot.

This will probably be worth about 20 horses.

At the tires.

Since my car is indeed a daily driver, which includes trips to Home Depot to pick up messy things like potted plants for my girlfriend, I got this handy-dandy trunk mat. I opened the box and it looks like Ford shipped me a Schnauser as well. I guess that's a free gift.

I still haven't installed my new '13 GT500 brakes that I got from LRS because I'm going to repaint them, and I've been trying to gather all the supplies I need for the job.

Here is $220 worth of exact-match paint and paint supplies from the automotive paint store, along with another $40 worth of custom-made stencils so I can paint the lettering back on the calipers instead of using decals, which I didn't really want to do. I bought a pint of Race Red and a pint of 2000 Ford Mustang Sunburst Gold, then had it put into aerosol cans so I can spray it easily. I also got paint supplies, (not shown) VHT Black (for lettering on the gold calipers) and VHT clear. I still need to get some VHT white. I'm going to repaint the 14" Brembos that are coming off just for fun because flat gray calipers are boring. The big set going on the car will be Sunburst gold with black lettering. The old set (going in the attic) will be Race Red with white lettering.

I asked around on eBay to find someone who would make me some custom stencils that are big enough for the massive '13 GT500 calipers, and after having bad luck with one who took my money and didn't ship me anything for over six weeks, I found another who got me exactly what I wanted in four days. At least I got my money back from the first guy.

Since I'll be pulling my axles to install the new rear brakes, I figured I'd get a nice new diff cover.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be ridiculously busy with work for the next month, so none of this will go on until then. :( Boo. I also need some time to blast and powdercoat the rear brake brackets so they don't get all nasty and rusty. I also need to get an adjustable panhard bar so I can center my axle in the chassis. It's pushed toward the driver side right now because of the lowering springs.

I'll post more pics of the interior stuff install and brake paintjob and install as I complete it. It should come out really nice.

Paul.

ChrisGT

Nice Shirt Bilkins
Reaction score
Really cool. I love the deluxe themed build you have going on. I have the same view on cars.. make it nice and keep it clean, then make it fast. All the little details add up. I love the new interiors when they are all optioned out with everything. That glass roof really puts it in another class so far ahead of its competitors. So much style. Looks sick bro!

R1V3R5

5-Oh!
Reaction score
As a race red owner I'm certainly envious of the stuff you are doing to the car. Lookin' good!

P.S. Nice free Schnauzer bonus. My Ford dealer has free cookies. But never once has it given free dogs.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why are you pulling the axles to do the rear brakes? The brembos are only on the front. The rears are the same on all cars.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Why are you pulling the axles to do the rear brakes? The brembos are only on the front. The rears are the same on all cars.

No, they're not. The '13 GT500 rear brakes are 13.75" rotors, and have different axle brackets that need to be installed. The calipers are the same, the rotors and brackets are not.

The two cast iron brackets that need to be installed are in the bottom of this picture.

AnchorsandCalipers_zpsf5e51660.jpg

Paul.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
this is gonna be awesome! I want that '13 GT500 big brake kit sooooo bad! Rehagen Racing has new take offs for around $1500 shipped, but I am not 100% sure that my 18" Forgestars would clear the 15" rotors and 6 pot calipers, so I guess I'm sticking with my 14" Brembos. First world problems...

Can't wait to hear about the install and see new pics! :beer:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back