picked up kooks,o/r x for 500 now have q's.

mikez

forum member
Reaction score
At the carlisle ford show on saturday i stopped by the Pypes exhaust booth and was looking at their new S-197 headers and started talking to the pypes guys. They said they will be ready to market them early summer, as I was ready to leave guy said if you want headers now we have the set of Kooks with o/r x pipe that we used to develop our headers, give me $500 and you can have them. LOL they are BRAND NEW, never mounted on a car. I still can't believe it.

Now on to the question i was going to wait until next month to order my tuner, cai, deletes and cams. Can i install these headers this weekend and still drive the car w/o a tune?? I'm sure i'll have a check engine code from not having the cats on there, but will it be driveable. I don't plan on beating on it, just to work. I have this whole weekend off, which is rare, and just want them on the car. I think they will be crazy with my KR mufflers. thanks

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
Wow great deal! I thought I got a deal at $1200. I installed mine and never retuned for it and I have no problems at all. No CEL from relocating the O2 sensor further downstream either. Of course you'll get one cause of the O/R X pipe.

echoinsilence

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know about kooks specifically but I always heard you always need a retune for longtubes, even though I believe kooks are more of a mid length design.

Back