Picking up knock

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Every since I got a tuner/tune my 2012 gt has been showing knock under full throttle and pulling timing. I guess it was showing it before the tuner but no way to find out. Anyway, first thing I did was put on a catch can, no help. Added Torco octane boost to see if I was getting bad gas, no help. Heard it might have exhaust rubbing and causing false signal but didn't see any evidence of it.

Anyone got any ideas on what I can check?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Either you have false knock or your tune is really out of wack for torco not to help.

If you have a VP dealer close, pick up a pail of VP unleaded extreme. You can safely mix it with premium unleaded.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking it is false knock. As much as it is picking up even my deaf ass should hear it.
I have talked to Lund who told me to try the things I did. He checked the datalog and said everything looks good. I don't think there is a VP dealer around but I will run a search. Thanks.

Randy

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Post a log. It is just speculation unless we have some data to look at.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Knock is showing as mostly positive, but if I remember correctly it shows some negative also. I will post a datalog when I get home, they are on my laptop.

Thanks

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The forum won't let me upload a csv file. Am I missing something? I could email it to someone but the forum doesn't take .csv files.

Thanks

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Probably upload it to a file hosting site and just post DL link.

Can use Google drive among others

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Took a look. Everything with the tune looks OK sans the knock. It almost looks like a 93 tune running on 87 octane.

Can you provide a list of mods to the car?

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The only mods are Pypes long tubes with catted H pipe. Everything else is stock. It was doing this same thing before the headers were installed, when it was bone stock with a tune.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
The only mods are Pypes long tubes with catted H pipe. Everything else is stock. It was doing this same thing before the headers were installed, when it was bone stock with a tune.

Same tuner?

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, same tuner. Same tune actually. I was told that the adaptive learning would pick up the increased exhaust flow and adapt to it.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Yes, same tuner. Same tune actually. I was told that the adaptive learning would pick up the increased exhaust flow and adapt to it.

Lund actually told you that a new updated tune is required for changing in headers which does increase air/exhaust flow significantly over stock?

Tune with Headers is going to be required to account for the air flow differences.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lund doesnt tune for headers only. He says that the adaptive learning of the computer will adapt.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Some strategies require adjusting the transport delay with aftermarket headers, some don't.

That said, it's not the problem with knock here.

As was previously suggested, time to put some good fuel in the car and report back with the results. If knock goes away then you know the cause. If not, put the stock tune back in the car and datalog. Post the log for review.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Some strategies require adjusting the transport delay with aftermarket headers, some don't.

That said, it's not the problem with knock here.

As was previously suggested, time to put some good fuel in the car and report back with the results. If knock goes away then you know the cause. If not, put the stock tune back in the car and datalog. Post the log for review.

This has been going on for almost a year. Tried multiple gas stations, even added a can of Torco to the tank and waited until it got to half tank before another log. Same knock. I really don't think gas is the problem, if it was the Torco should have at least shown some improvement. However, I will return to stock and try that. At least that will rule out the tune.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Lund doesnt tune for headers only. He says that the adaptive learning of the computer will adapt.

What do you think the issue is then?

OP added headers and runs Torco and still
Has knock. He is also running on the original tune and added a major mod like headers.

Thoughts?

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What do you think the issue is then?

OP added headers and runs Torco and still
Has knock. He is also running on the original tune and added a major mod like headers.

Thoughts?

Grabber, the knock was there before the headers, when I was tune only so I don't think the headers have anything to do with the problem. The headers were just put on last week.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back