Pinging question

46addict

Reaction score
It won't hurt to run some Seafoam through a vacuum line instead of just putting it in the tank. I would probably pass judgment until your plugs are replaced.

maz030

Reaction score
Your 100% right. If it still pings after the plugs are replaced that's when i'll give up. And yeah I saw something written on the can about running the seafoam through a line. I did buy two cans so I may try that as well.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Plugs are the first thing I would have checked.

I ran Torco to eliminate any pre detonation and after still seeing some spark knock I pulled the plugs and found this:
61fe584d98d7b79310adf2849b5e8290.jpg

maz030

Reaction score
Update: Replaced fuel filter, cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor, still have pining. I'm still happy I did these things as it was still probably useful. Replaced Roush CAI with factory airbox and loaded stock tune, now I have very faint pinging, about the same amount from when I loaded the stock tune with the Ventri tube in the CAI. I knew that replacing the CAI wouldn't make a difference but at this point it was worth a try. I also confirmed that the noise I'm hearing is pinging due to riding around with a mechanic and he agreed that it's pinging. I hope you guys are right all along and it's just the plugs doing this. I definitely wouldn't have heard the pinging when the car was stock unless I listened for it so I'm guessing the more aggressive tunes are what made the pinging audible to me. My roommate actually can't hear it when running the stock tune but he's not the most reliable for this since he kind of has hearing issues. I'm hoping everyone is right and it's the plugs that have been causing my issue. I'm getting them replaced in a week as I don't trust myself with the lisle tool. If it still pings with new plugs, I have no idea what could be causing it.

kallar68

forum member
Reaction score
Hope the plugs solve your issue. I should probably do mine since I just got the car with 40k and don't know the previous service history, I'm sure it has the originals in there.

maz030

Reaction score
Hey guys sorry to bring this back up but I'm still having issues. So I finally got my plugs changed and the motor is still pinging. The plugs didn't make it ping less or more. My next course of action will be running another can of seafoam in the tank and then possibly also through the intake. Does anyone have any other ideas? Could a dyno tune just tune out the pinging or is that a bad idea because I should probably try to find out the underlying cause of the pinging?

maz030

Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't get to see them as I had a shop do it but my mechanic said they were definitely the original ones and were pretty dirty. None of them broke though so that was good.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
If it still pings after getting the plugs replaced, I'm gonna just baby the car until I save enough money for a c6 Z06. I know that sounds random but I've always wanted one haha.

Mid life crisis apparently kicking into full swing. Matching corvette jacket and hat coming soon thereafter. Here's your sign....

Here another sign...

LOL!!!!

maz030

Reaction score
lol what if I told you i'm only 26? I've just always had a soft spot for the C6 Z06 because you get Ferrari performance at a fraction of the cost. I've liked it long before I bought my Mustang. There's no denying that it's a great bang for the buck.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
lol what if I told you i'm only 26? I've just always had a soft spot for the C6 Z06 because you get Ferrari performance at a fraction of the cost. I've liked it long before I bought my Mustang. There's no denying that it's a great bang for the buck.

Shoe still fits. You're just coming into it early.

Oh I forgot to mention the special wave. A guy on our local site bought one (the pics above were originally for him but keep serving me well) and was sharing about how cool it was that all the Corvette owners wave at each other like bikers do when they pass one another. All I could picture was QE II's stiff wave to the peasants of GB as she parades the streets on rare occasion. LOL! He doesn't have it any longer.

Last edited:

kallar68

forum member
Reaction score
I feel kind of stupid as I tracked mine jingling noise down. I'm pretty sure it's the clutch or pulley on the ac compressor as I've only been able to recreate the noise with the ac on. Kind of strange but I'm not as worried about it now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

46addict

Reaction score
Update: Received an updated 93 Race tune from Bama after sending in my datalogs. I'm not sure why they only sent me a 93 tune. Anyway I tried it out and it pings at even lower RPM now. I switched it back to the revised 87 tune I received a few days ago. I'm convinced the slight rattle I'm hearing is ping now after this. Anyway when I get home during daylight hours Thursday I'm gonna do all the maintenace stuff to the car minus plugs. If it still pings, I'm gonna load the stock tune AND put the the stock airbox back in which in theory shouldn't make a difference from when I loaded the stock tune with the Roush cai. I'm also gonna go on a long cruise this weekend to let the seafoam do it's thing. If after all that it still pings, I will get the plugs replaced. If it still pings after getting the plugs replaced, I'm gonna just baby the car until I save enough money for a c6 Z06. I know that sounds random but I've always wanted one haha.
I wouldn't waste any more time with Bama tuning if the pinging hasn't gone away. Even on an NA bolt on car it would be worthwhile to get with Lito, VMP, or Lund. They'll be able to work out any kinks.
Also it's never a good idea to accelerate from lower RPM (under 1500 or so) as that puts unnecessary stress on your rod bearings and journals.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see them as I had a shop do it but my mechanic said they were definitely the original ones and were pretty dirty. None of them broke though so that was good.
So did the new plugs take care of the issue?

maz030

Reaction score
I feel kind of stupid as I tracked mine jingling noise down. I'm pretty sure it's the clutch or pulley on the ac compressor as I've only been able to recreate the noise with the ac on. Kind of strange but I'm not as worried about it now.

LOL it's okay. I tracked mine down too. It wasn't ping. I have slight play in the drive shaft. I took it to a speed shop. When I was driving around with the tech he could not hear it at all until the very last attempt. In my defense I wouldn't have thought it was ping if the original noise I heard (marbles in a tin can for around 2 seconds, very loud at WOT between 4-5k rpms) on the 93 race tune was ping. That I know was 100% ping which swayed me into believing this noise was ping.

Last edited:

maz030

Reaction score
I wouldn't waste any more time with Bama tuning if the pinging hasn't gone away. Even on an NA bolt on car it would be worthwhile to get with Lito, VMP, or Lund. They'll be able to work out any kinks.
Also it's never a good idea to accelerate from lower RPM (under 1500 or so) as that puts unnecessary stress on your rod bearings and journals.

So did the new plugs take care of the issue?

I agree. I decided that I'm getting Long tube headers and a dyno tune at the dyno shop I was at.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back