forum member
Reaction score
Is this correct?

driveshaft angle EX: -1.1
minus -
Pinion flange EX: -0.2
---------------------
Equals:pinion angle = -1.3

I've read for hours (sticky) and the more i read the more confused i get ...but the one calculation that seems to stand out the most is substracting the driveshaft angle from the differential pinion flange,
I just recently added a full suspension setup see sig.(shocks ,Ford racing front control arms,springs,lower control arms(non adjust), upper control arm (ajust) with mount,sway bars,ect..so when i got car aligned i asked to get pinion angle adjusted.....didn't even want to touch it....so while car was on alingment bench (level)..i measured with Iphone level and got these numbers:
driveshaft angle.... = -1.1
pinion flange angle. = -0.2
so where do i need to put pinion flange to obtain proper pinion angle which i read is around -2 ?
I have an appointment this afternoon to get pinion angle adjusted and want to make sure they get the math right.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Do you have a one piece driveshaft or the stock 2-piece? I don't know about setting for the 2-piece but for the one piece you do not use the angle of the driveshaft. You need to use the flange coming out of the transmission and the pinion flange.

Also, the iphone isn't going to sit correctly on the surfaces to take an accurate reading. If the pinion flange is -.2 (pointing down towards the ground) then the transmission flange would need to be -1.8 degrees pointing down. You need the angle of the transmission flange first and then you can set the pinion flange angle.

Here's the reference I used...

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/LCA _adj.htm

bullitt ben

forum member
Reaction score
it is a 2 piece stock driveshaft, i posted iphone mesurements as reference
the alignment shop did not have dial indicator.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Go buy a dial indicator. They are only like 10 bucks. Measure on the back half of the driveshaft, then measure the pinion flange. Subtract the drive shaft number from the pinion flange and that's your angle. I've got mine set at 3 and it's smooth. Zero wheel hop. When I measured my driveshaft it was at 4* and my pinion was at 0*. That gave me a 4* pinion angle. So I adjusted my upper control arm until my pinion flange was at 1-2*. That gave me a pinion angle of 2-3*. In the sticky for setting pinion angles there's a nice video. It's linked in the first few pages. It was really helpful for me. Check it out.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
If you have a stock DS, forget about it. You don't need to mess with it.

bullitt ben

forum member
Reaction score
Go buy a dial indicator. They are only like 10 bucks. Measure on the back half of the driveshaft, then measure the pinion flange. Subtract the drive shaft number from the pinion flange and that's your angle. I've got mine set at 3 and it's smooth. Zero wheel hop. When I measured my driveshaft it was at 4* and my pinion was at 0*. That gave me a 4* pinion angle. So I adjusted my upper control arm until my pinion flange was at 1-2*. That gave me a pinion angle of 2-3*. In the sticky for setting pinion angles there's a nice video. It's linked in the first few pages. It was really helpful for me. Check it out.

In the you tube video they aim for -2 and yours is at 3?.........

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back