Pistons, opinions!

3valveFox

Reaction score
Alright Everyone! I had just got my car straight with some custom cams from Mod Mafia Performance and Their dyno tune. It was 8.6:1 Compression with stock heads, stock intake/t.b. , custom cams and novi 2200sl. Made 604hp on 93 and 640 on e-"85ish". Was able to get one pass on pump93 ..junk 1.70 60ft and went a 10.32@136 throwing the belt :/ But enough about the slowness lol
Now the motor is out due to a bad rod bearing. I am going back together with a 10.5:1 motor and going smaller blower pulley. I am looking for a Kellogg crank to throw in, reuse my manleys/arp2000, but still looking at pistons. Diamonds were the first choice.275 down top ring and .155" pins, but they will have to be custom due to not having valve reliefs. I was also looking at the manley but they have only a .220 down top ring and .120" pins.. Then there is wiseco, a very nice looking piston with a "partial" skirt and struts, .300 down top ring and .173 pin (9310 allow .225 $176 more)
What is everyones opinions? I know I am looking too deep into this all..but wanting to make sure I only buy once and it lasts for a "long" time!

Thanks guys

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Alright Everyone! I had just got my car straight with some custom cams from Mod Mafia Performance and Their dyno tune. It was 8.6:1 Compression with stock heads, stock intake/t.b. , custom cams and novi 2200sl. Made 604hp on 93 and 640 on e-"85ish". Was able to get one pass on pump93 ..junk 1.70 60ft and went a 10.32@136 throwing the belt :/ But enough about the slowness lol
Now the motor is out due to a bad rod bearing. I am going back together with a 10.5:1 motor and going smaller blower pulley. I am looking for a Kellogg crank to throw in, reuse my manleys/arp2000, but still looking at pistons. Diamonds were the first choice.275 down top ring and .155" pins, but they will have to be custom due to not having valve reliefs. I was also looking at the manley but they have only a .220 down top ring and .120" pins.. Then there is wiseco, a very nice looking piston with a "partial" skirt and struts, .300 down top ring and .173 pin (9310 allow .225 $176 more)
What is everyones opinions? I know I am looking too deep into this all..but wanting to make sure I only buy once and it lasts for a "long" time!

Thanks guys

Why not some Manley flattops? They would be off the shelf and affordable. Why are you not wanting to use them? There are many people making good power on them. Last year at 20+ psi and and 9.0:1 C/R -18cc dish, I was in the 900 rwhp range on E85 and all was a blast till I ran the fuel tank dry on a pass. I have the the same pistons in my new motor now at the same 20+ psi and flattops with milled heads to get to 12:1 C/R on E85 now. That setup is still waiting to start.

3valveFox

Reaction score
I JUST read your 64page post with all the great info and also destruction lol. I noticed that you had the manley flat tops in yours. I was leaning towards the manley at first but someone said the ring wasn't located low enough and the pins are too thin. But looks like that might not be a true issue. I was looking at the -6.5cc, my heads are milled .020 so I was thinking compression will be around 10.48.. The only reason I am trying to keep the compression around 10.5 is because I plan to also wastegate the blower to 10?psi and run 93 for when we take it on longer trips. flat tops would put my car at 11.6:1 but I don't think it would ever run on 93 lol Do you have any pictures of the manley pistons? I cant find any! lol

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
This is the flattops after I had Polydyn ceramic coat them.

Here are the -18cc. That were top coated and side coated at Polydyn.

Here are the -18cc in the block.

And here is the Flattop.

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Swaintech also does nice piston top and side coating.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Swaintech also does nice piston top and side coating.
Maybe a better option, after my last dealing with Polydn in Houston, there is no way I would recommend them. The did a great job on my internal parts, but the valve covers and my JPC intake looked like hell!

3valveFox

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for the pictures and the info. I will wait to hear back about the custom diamonds..but if they are too high I'll be going with the manley, appears to be a good piston.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm using Manley 14cc pistons, top coated with Polydyn HS Gold. Supercharged, so 9.0:1 compression ratio. They've been in for 6 years, taking a beating like a red-headed step child and doing just fine.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I've said this a few times, L&M designed pistons, cut by diamond.
Pricey but highest quality.
Always an option worth looking into.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back