"Plasti-Dip"ing wheels

McLovin

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone done the black plasti-dip on the Brembo Wheels? Would like to see that.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
yfUDhUy.jpg

8bLJplA.jpg

Looks great! Nice work, riptide :clap: :thumb: :beer:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Thanks. Now the car is stuck in that garage for a few weeks. -15 this morning and snow/ice on the road. I has a sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
Wheels look great on the SG!!! Makes a huge difference over the same wheel in stock silver.

I have dipped stuff on my car and cars of friends of mine several times now. I can offer a few tips and hints for people who are new to this.

Cleaning and prep - very important. Clean everything really well before you start. Taping stuff off is less than important, as some people have mentioned before. This stuff comes right off of everything. It is nerve racking the first time you spray it right onto the paint, you wonder if it really will peel off like everyone says it will. It does. Light overspray rubs off with a micro fiber towel/cloth.

Light coats at first. Take your time. No rush. Each coat that I spray after that initial coat gets a little heavier. About 50% transparency for the first coat, and I let it dry completely.

Grey as a primer? I tried it, as recommended for dipping over white. Works just like primer would. The first two coats I use the gunmetal grey (Home Depot now carries this). The coverage is the best of any color dip I have used. Using the gunmetal is a primer, I can cover something white in 4 coats, instead of trying to use just black, and taking almost 7 or 8 coats. It is amazing what the grey does.

Riptide - the wheels that you did look perfect. That is the finish that you want. If you ever decide to do them again, you don't need to take them off the car. Look at DipYourCar on YouTube. They have some really good instructional videos and offer a lot of tips and tricks on how to get a perfect dip.

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
Here is a few tips for you guys.

First you don't need those cards, just put some gel tire shine on the tire with a sponge applicator. Make sure you don't get any on the rim. The dip will then peel off the tire and stay on the rim tearing at the bead, no trimming and it looks perfect.

Do not put the lugs over the dip or it will tear. You need to take a razor knife and trim the dip off the rim where the lug seats on to the rim.

Do not try to use the entire can of dip when it's almost empty it will spit and you will get globs like what riptide has on his rim.

You need to apply the dip in such a way that is a gloss look when you spray it. Don't go back over just a portion and leave that orange peal look. Sorry to use you as an example again but look at the picture of riptides rim (the one with his lace less shoes). This is a good example of what not to do, you need to apply the dip smoothly so it's all shiny then the texture will look right.

If you use the Metalizers or the Glossifiers keep in mind these are far thinner that the base coats. I always use 3 base coats. Don't try to apply these as thick as the base or they will run. When I do a base coat I normally go over at least twice, resist that with these do one even pass and hit again after it has dried.

Hope that helps, I have a few more tips about taping off areas for hood designs etc but I have to get out to an appointment.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
You actually don't need to put anything on the tire. Spray over the edge of the rim just like you are spraying the wheel. If you do that, it will peel off as a whole piece. The overspray will eventually rub off or wear off. It's black, so it is not like it will be noticeable.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
If you are not a fan of the flat black you can hit it with a light coat of gloss black paint and it will give it a satin look. Did that on my 06 and really liked the look.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
The blobs I was getting were the nozzle in my case. I got a different "upgraded" one that seemed to be the issue. There was plenty left in the can and I shook them well and warmed them up.

I took the wheels off because I was paranoid about overspray on the car and didn't feel like taping off the brakes. You can definitely do it with the wheels on the car. Not sure how you cover the lug wella that way though.

On the wheels I let sit overnight the lugs went in without tearing up the dip. On the ones I did an hour after I finished - mistake. It damaged the dip in the wells visibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
DipYourCar.com sells an antique gold color now....I would be interested in trying that on my 18" SVE Drifts on my white 2011. It's cold here now so I can't really do it until spring I guess.

I have done the matte black on a couple little things on my car (the center horse emblem, lower trim on the front bumper cover, etc). I actually did the roof also but I couldn't get it to look good with such a large piece (had some streaking due to 'fanning' or whatever) but I liked the black roof look on my white car.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
DipYourCar.com sells an antique gold color now....I would be interested in trying that on my 18" SVE Drifts on my white 2011. It's cold here now so I can't really do it until spring I guess.

I have done the matte black on a couple little things on my car (the center horse emblem, lower trim on the front bumper cover, etc). I actually did the roof also but I couldn't get it to look good with such a large piece (had some streaking due to 'fanning' or whatever) but I liked the black roof look on my white car.

For the roof, using cans will be very difficult to achieve a uniform look. I would suggest either vinyl, or getting the car kit and using a power sprayer. Not cost effective if you only want to do the roof. Maybe a friend or relative will go in on it and split the cost, or a bunch of you can get together and split it.

Gold on Drifts on a white '11 would look really good I would think, especially with the black accents.

joeymustang

forum member
Reaction score
Been thinking about it but I don't think its a good idea to do it anytime soon....20's and 30's outside right now lol

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
They now make a "True Metallic" in Anthracite. I think I'm going to do this to my Race Stars, the rears I bought last year look like crap. And I hate polishing wheels, so a anthracite would look sweet,.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
how are wheels holding up to brake dust and washing? Im kinda thinking about doing my AM wheels in black PD

bcb06gt

Reaction score
how are wheels holding up to brake dust and washing? Im kinda thinking about doing my AM wheels in black PD

I plasti-dipped my daughter's '12 Mustang 18" GT wheels and they held up for a year. It failed when someone side-swiped her car.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Go for it, man. Although I have never personally dipped wheels, my neighbor dipped the stock wheels on his 350Z and they have held up great for over a year now.

When it warms up, I am thinking I may PD my Forgestars!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back