"Plasti-Dip"ing wheels

sethah

forum member
Reaction score
Trying this out on my truck right now. So far this stuff is pretty awesome. May have to do my car rims next

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
im going straight to lowes in the morning and buying them out of this stuff. i wanted my wheels done and was going to get wheel paint till i saw this. now im thinking do my splitter, side skirts and hood scoop.

pics to follow.

sethah

forum member
Reaction score
I bought my firat can at napa for $12. Needed more so i made the half hour drive to lowes and only paid $6 a can. Needless to say i bought all 5 they had. Should have just went there first

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
this stuff is kind of amazing.

20120826_141009.jpg

20120826_161710.jpg

Last edited:

kona302

forum member
Reaction score
I heard they make it in different colors like red and blue, I can't imagine why I would need those colors but one could always peel it off.

hazzardoustoysjr

forum member
Reaction score
just a tip, using a deck of cards and slightly overlapping them going around the wheel where the tire and rim meet works really well. you just pick the cards out of the slot and move on to the next one lol

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I love the fact that the plasti-dip thread is getting bumped!

One of the Mustang magazines just did an atricle on the good ole PD this month. I think it was MM&FF, but it may have been 5.0 Mustang magazine. I guess it's legit now!

ejschmidt

forum member
Reaction score
Just plasti dipped my winter rims; turns out patience is key. I "messed up" on one rim (i.e. I had to peel and repaint it) but they look great now!

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Ready to do this to the stock 18x8. Going matte black. Hoping to do it this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Black_GT

SIIXVII
Reaction score
I did my wheels awhile back. I also used two cans of the glossifier to try and make my wheels glossy black, however, that failed. They still came out in a matte finish.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Plasti dipped my stock 18x8 wheels over the weekend. Was a piece of cake.

Couple things I learned. For one the "upgraded" nozzle I got from dipyourcar.com seemed to cause the output to be more prone to contain blobs. Didn't matter if I shook the can a lot or if I warmed them up first. Second I would let the wheels cure over night. I thought they were dry and when I went to torque the lugs down it tore up some of the plasti dip in the lug wells.

Here's before pictures first.

dl3p2g4.jpg

DfjQ0If.jpg

In process and after pictures.

V3jj7DO.jpg

pSXXwOn.jpg

yfUDhUy.jpg

8bLJplA.jpg

thailand

forum member
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to do this project. I did mine with the wheels on the car. I used a plastic grocery bag to cover the rotors and calipers, cleaned the wheels twice, and sprayed away! They came out great, and the dip didn't stick to the rubber, so it peeled right off.

Some tips from my experience...
Clean the wheels, paying close attention to the lip and under the lip, where the wheel meets the tire!
Do at least 4 coats. If you get some on the tire itself, who cares, it just peels right off.
I did the first coat lightly...about 50% transparent. The rest covered the wheel.

Over 2 years and still going strong! BTW, great looking car Riptide.

sdunlap10

Reaction score

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
I did my wheels awhile back. I also used two cans of the glossifier to try and make my wheels glossy black, however, that failed. They still came out in a matte finish.

+1, I did two coats of glossifier, didn't do crap. What a waste of time and money. Should have just used regular gloss clear over the dip. Doesn't matter now as I get new wheels tomorrow.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back