Pony Package Fogs on GT Grill

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was cleaning out my computer room and I stumbled upon some Pony Package fogs I bought last year from JDM. My intent at the time was to try to fab a Shelby grill out of them, some crinkled SS mesh, and the stock OEM grill. Well, the crinckled SS mesh proved too much coin for me and gutting the OEM grill seemed to be a lot more work than I originally expected. So, they remained there until today. I pulled them out and wondered what they might look like on an unmolested OEM grill.

This is a "feeler" DIY of what they might look like when installed. I say might because I'm not sure in what direction I'm going and I'm open to suggestions on what can be done to give them a factory look.

DISCLAIMER: The grill used in this DIY is a $20 OEM grill I was gutting out to do my Shelby wanna be grill. As such, I do not include it in the cost of this DIY as it's only used as a mockup, test mule, etc...

Here's a pic of the PP fogs. The pigtails are a direct connect to our GT fog harness. No splicing needed. I also included some of the tools I'll be using for this DIY.
Cost $50 shipped from JDM.

ponypackagefogsingtgril.jpg

Another pic of other things I needed as I didn't know where the black plastic would come from. The snips are the ones used to cut up to 3" PVC pipe. I already had it. Tin snips would have probably worked better.

Rather than use the ruler I had, I decided to try a different method to figure out the insde diameter of the fogs. See below. lol!

I didn't have a protractor on hand so I used it to draw my template. I milked it people! I also used my drinking glass to make the opening for the fog light.

Ahhh, the grill that never was...

I cut my template out and a few minutes later it was time for a test fit.

I now realize that the opening was too exact. I didn't make room for the trim I would later install.

Another view. The OEM fog light brackets are installed and are somewhat propping the PP fogs in place. Note: The fogs can either be recessed if bolted directly to the brackets or they could be made to fit flush, as pictured if spacers can be fabbed at a later date.

Happy with my template, I took my happy ass to Home Depot to find some flat black plastic. To my surprise, HD didn't have it. Clear Plexiglass was all they had. I'd have to paint it and worry about touch ups.

Luckily, I found this. It's the top to a 5 gallon bucket. It was the right thickness and best of all, flat black! Cost, a whopping 98 cents ea.!!!
I layed down some painter's tape so I could draw up my template. I left it there to also protect the finish as I worked it.

The PVC pipe cutter was used to cut away the rim of the bucket lid. This was somewhat tedious but worked out well in the end. Again, real tin snips may work better. A trip to an arts and crafts store might have resulted in a nice flat piece of "ready to use" plastic but I already owned the tools needed to cut it and the 98 cents and the finish was too good to pass up!!!

I used a pair of sharp scissors to cut the outer part and a steak knife (if you can believe) to do the inside. A box cutter may prove more useful here too, not sure. Just keep in mind that the plastic may be somewhat thick for a box cutter.

Once done, it was time to test fit it... again.

I removed the painter's tape and applied some autotrim I had from a Shaker hood trimming I was planning on hand. The trim is a bit "off" but since the opening will be enlarged, I'll use this strip to measure from.

Silicone will be used to secure the final piece around the edges. It should be fine as the foglight will NOT come into contact with this piece. The foglight will be held by the bracket and NOT the ring.

Another pic.

ponypackagefogsingtgrilh.jpg

And uno mas...

I'm happy with the overall idea of the project I have going here. The finish of the bucket lids are dead on to the factory grill. I've thought about using speaker tubes instead of trim or maybe concaving the template by removing a small piece and rejoining it to have a slight taper.

A couple of other things;
1) I know using glasses and plates is kind of dumb and it would prove somewhat difficult to follow it without said dishes. lol! I was trying to use some short cuts as this was a spur of the moment thing. I'll include real measurements as I figure out how this is going to come together.

2) The grill I'm using looks bad. It's dirty and is hacked to Hell. The colors may not seem to match and only 3/4 of it is showing. I'll see if I can mock it up this Sunday when I replace my bumper so you can get a better idea of where I'm trying to go with this.

Your thoughts...

Gerardo

Last edited:

1andonlywhitie

The Australian...
Reaction score
Sorry but I feel compelled to ask... why not just buy the Pony Package grille from the start?

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
It will not fit . v6 bumpers have a diff spacing .

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
hey post a picture of the finished product I wanna see how it looks on the car.

Wow!!!

Love your avatar!

Ok, here's some pics of the fogs. Please keep in mind that they are not secured by a bracket of any kind. In fact, I shoved a couple of black t- shirts in between the fogs in the existing fog housing to prop them up for pics. Fabbing brackets is a commitment so I had to be sure I liked the look.

The first is of the stocker fogs.

Next, is the PP fogs with my DIY inserts and the above mentioned t-shirts holding them in place.

Side view and "on"...

For shits and giggles I placed my inserts in front of the OEM fogs. The opening is larger than the Pony Package fogs but smaller than the OEMs.

Side view...

I would definitely NOT go with the trim route. I will find a ring of the appropriate size and cut the opening to accomadate it. I think the fit and finish would be more factory than using trim cut to fit.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated people.

Gerardo

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Ok i'll bite. What did you do to make it fit and does the fit look good in person?

1. Remove the radiator cover and GT grill (see 1st pic below).
  2. The mounting tabs are different from V6 to GT, so I cut them off of the V6 grill and used a pair of mending plates from Home Depot to make my own brackets on the top, but under the radiator cover. I used tin snips to cut them and bent them as needed to fit flush under the radiator cover (see 2nd & 3rd pics below).
  3. I used marine-grade outdoor black weatherstipping around the sides and bottom of the V6 grill to take up the space since the GT grill opening is bigger than the V6 grill. It is the same color/texture as the plastic of the grill, so it blends in seamlessly (see 4th & 5th pic below).
  4. The fit & finish looks near-factory. I've been to several Mustang shows and even with the hood up everybody just assumes it's factory. It's amazing how many people think I stuffed a V8 engine into a V6 Pony Package Mustang, instead of considering that it's much cheaper and easier to swap the V6 grill into at GT. (see 6th & 7th pics for close up shots from the front).
  5. The GT and V6 foglights use the same wiring & pigtails, so it's simple plug and play.
April2509006.jpg

April2509009.jpg

April2509010.jpg

April2509013.jpg

April2509014.jpg

April2509018.jpg

0313001750.jpg

Last edited:

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
That looks great!

To think that I turned down the complete Pony Package grill because I read on here that it wouldn't work... :dead2:
Question for you;
If the PP grill will work, does this mean that the regular V6 grill will work with the above brackets???
I'd rather drill two holes in a V6 grill and use speaker tubes to install the PP lights.

Gerardo

Last edited:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
That looks great!

To think that I turned down the complete Pony Package grill because I read on here that it wouldn't work... :dead2:
Question for you;
If the PP grill will work, does this mean that the regular V6 grill will work with the above brackets???
I'd rather drill two holes in a V6 grill and use speaker tubes to install the PP lights.

Gerardo

Thanks! The PP grill is the same size as the standard V6 grill, and the Ford dealer I work at has installed quite a few PP grills for customers in V6 Mustangs that were not PP cars to begin with. I did my own install in my GT since I had to do some minor fabrication.

On a side note, I got the PP grill for free. A friend of mine owns an '06 V6 PP coupe and wanted the GT grill, so I traded him straight across. I did all the labor swapping the grills between the two cars, and he kept the beer coming while I did so! I also installed his Roush hoodscoop, side window louvers, GT front bumper cover (which made it possible to install my GT grill on his car), and GT side rocker mouldings. In turn, I pulled the GT emblems off my GT, replaced them with the V6 PP fender emblems, and ended up with my GT looking like a V6 while my friend's V6 ended up looking like a GT. He already had a GT rear bumper cover with true dual exhaust conversion, as well as chrome 20" wheels, so his black on black V6 is very stunning. I ended up buying his factory grey 17x8 Bullet wheels from him and mounted my drag radials on the back pair, so at the dragstrip, many people think my car is an 11-second V6 PP...

RaceReady002.jpg

Last edited:

Black_GT

SIIXVII
Reaction score
Did a new craze for V6 PP grilles just start?! lol Not to be 'Debbie Downer' but I dont get all the hype about this?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back