Possibly going to purchase an 06 Mustang Gt

sacf1trainer

Reaction score
Hey folks I'm new to this forum I am currently looking to purchase a 2006 Mustang Gt 5speed mt it has 130k miles no performance mods other than axel back exhaust. I do believe he replace the headlights, fog lights tail lights and put new Rockstar wheels on. My question is when I go Monday to look is there anything in particular that you would pay attention to pertaining to mustangs in particular? Thanks in advance for your help. Oh and also he is asking 9000$ I was thinking if I could get it for 8500that might not be a bad deal. Attached below are the pics he posted for the stag.
909a41ecd127eb4177fb341559762122.jpg
0b35b118265c960f1ee9901a04e3ca3c.jpg
856025d51c3a10ab1306ae5c93edbad9.jpg
e296c5a13ce9073308ef719eaee1c34c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Check the alternator voltage if you have a multimeter. They are notoriously shitty on these cars. Mine went out 2 or 3 weeks after I bought mine with 50k miles.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ask when the spark plugs were changed

can't tell about the headlights, but the tail lights are definitely aftermarket

sacf1trainer

Reaction score
ask when the spark plugs were changed

can't tell about the headlights, but the tail lights are definitely aftermarket
Yea he said something about halo headlights and foglights

Check the alternator voltage if you have a multimeter. They are notoriously shitty on these cars. Mine went out 2 or 3 weeks after I bought mine with 50k miles.
Ok will do they put out around 13volts?

Is there anything in particular with the sparkplugs I know ford had some issues with them breaking is that what you are referring to?

Last edited by a moderator:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Is there anything in particular with the sparkplugs I know ford had some issues with them breaking is that what you are referring to?

maybe so, just can't tell from the pics you posted

yes, the plugs can get stuck, search the board, there are many threads on how to remove them to prevent them from breaking or after they have broken

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
13v at the very least. We recently had a guy on here that almost had his front arm ball joint pop out. He was getting a weird sound from the front and some movement when jacked up. I think he was at 160k miles?

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
if you like the car run a car fax- if it was in a accident that was registered or paid claim by insurance it will show up and it will give you room to haggle- that many miles I think you should start lower with your offer you can always come up

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
With those miles I would ask about fluid changes in the trans, rear end, coolant and power steering. Also ask if it was the original VCT solenoids and phasers, along with original cats on the car. Has the fuel pump or filter been changed? You should probably ask if the plugs have been changed first, that can turn into a nightmare. It looks nice and even if these thing have not been done it would probably be OK. You would just need to plan to do some of them it asap and change others as they fail like the rest of us. Good luck.

46addict

Reaction score
Yeah asking questions about fluid changes is a good idea. I would be expecting to do outer tie rods, ball joints/control arms, and rear axle bearings/seals/pinion seal too if not done already. Not a huge deal if they aren't done but worn suspension parts will make it impossible to keep the wheel alignment.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
14.3 to 14.4 vdc across the battery terminals, with eng idling. With eng off, it's typ 12.2 to 12.4 vdc. It will take a few mins after eng shut off, for battery vdc to drop from 14+.... down to 12.XXX

IndyEric

forum member
Reaction score
You're doing someone a huge favor at $8500. You can't give those cars away, right now. I would offer 5 or 6k.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
You're doing someone a huge favor at $8500. You can't give those cars away, right now. I would offer 5 or 6k.

This.

The car is 12 years old..and 130 K. They are really only worth 5-7K. Then be prepared to spend some $$ getting it up to snuff.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in TN as well. I was recently offered $6500 for my '06GT with 85K in trade. These cars aren't worth all that much any more, there have been two major updates since they came out. They are like the Foxes were a few years ago - can't give them away as mentioned. That asking price is a bit steep.

linderpat

Reaction score
agreed the ask price is steep considering the miles. Regardless, if it is a good car, then $7 or $8K might be ok as a retail price. No matter what, I would not pay anything higher than a wholesale price without having a full file of service records that substantiate things done. I keep a file and log on my car, which is a slightly modified 06 GT (legend lime, with only 28K on the clock).

sacf1trainer

Reaction score
Thanks folks now the fun starts. Got em down to 7500 and have replaced the rear wheel bearings front wheel hubs ball joints and tie rod ends. Car is in pretty good shape to be 12yo. It came with updated tail lights halo headlights cold air intake new tires and wheels x pipe Mac axel back mufflers and navigation radio. Thanks for everyone's help. Again I'm new to mustangs I've always had trucks so it's been a fun change if any one has any advice please don't hesitate.

46addict

Reaction score
Congrats. I think you did well.

I just sold my 07 GT/CS with 91k miles for $8500 and I had it on the market for 2 weeks. I'm happy with what I got for it even though I paid $13k two years ago. Asking price is just a starting point and a car is only worth what the buyer wants to pay for it. Meanwhile fox bodies are holding their value if the mileage is under 60k or so. I am seeing them in the 15-20k range. No one wants a bastard 4.6 3v unless they've had one before and trying to replace their old car.

Back