Post your s197 with 94-04 Wheels

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Ok we should just change the thread tittle to official wheel poke wrong offset wheels threads....

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
Awesome looking wheels. But they aren't directional...that would drive me nuts with different wheels on both sides.

So what would be the other undesirable side-effects of same-directional wheels on both sides? No one could see more than one side at a time. It would take a really picky O-C* person to pay attention to that aspect.

Do the different diagonals cause different direction-of-airflow, so at speed the car would be pulled to one side or the other? Maybe one side would be faster than the other?

School me on this.

*Urban Dictionary definition 19.

Last edited:

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
So what would be the other undesirable side-effects of same-directional wheels on both sides? No one could see more than one side at a time. It would take a really picky O-C* person to pay attention to that aspect.

Do the different diagonals cause different direction-of-airflow, so at speed the car would be pulled to one side or the other? Maybe one side would be faster than the other?

School me on this.

*Urban Dictionary definition 19.

:screw:

Last edited:

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Zedd Wheels Stang389. Fairly aggressive offsets for an S197 I believe they were 18x9.5 +22

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
So instead of using relatively narrow wheels with a really wrong offset, why aren't people using wider wheels with closer to the S197's range of OE offsets and use all of the room available?

Yes, 18 x 9.5" is a narrow wheel, even up front. A few of us are running 18 x 11's, which use up just about all of the room on the strut side. Ignore the lack of lowering; because I track this car as shown (on 285/35 tires) I'm not ready to sacrifice suspension geometry for somebody else's idea of what makes for "the right" tire to fender gap. All I will say about the offsets is that they are NOT way down there in the low +20's.

norm-peterson-albums-things-my-driveway-picture10730-wheels-tires-brake-cooling.jpg

Norm

Last edited:

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
So instead of using relatively narrow wheels with a really wrong offset, why aren't people using wider wheels with closer to the S197's range of OE offsets and use all of the room available?

Yes, 18 x 9.5" is a narrow wheel, even up front. A few of us are running 18 x 11's, which use up just about all of the room on the strut side. Ignore the lack of lowering; because I track this car as shown (on 285/35 tires) I'm not ready to sacrifice suspension geometry for somebody else's idea of what makes for "the right" tire to fender gap. All I will say about the offsets is that they are NOT way down there in the low +20's.

norm-peterson-albums-things-my-driveway-picture10730-wheels-tires-brake-cooling.jpg

Norm

specs? what are the offsets and wheel manufacture?

and my wheels are 19x9.5 +22 out back and roughly +12 up front. 255/40s

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Forgestar F14's, offsets by Vorshlag. I may have known what the offsets were at one time, but if the information is anywhere here at all it would be on my old computer (which recently took a dump). I do know that the front and rear offsets are different.

You must have a huge amount of room on the back sides of those wheels, well over an inch and a half up front and an inch or more out back . . . and that's just off the top of my head comparing your wheel specs against my 18 x 9.5" GT500 wheels and their clearances with 255/45's.

Norm

forum member
Reaction score

Norm
Because not everyone wants to pay for 11" wide wheels, or can justify a need for them. I get plenty of grip from 10s but then again I've got a bolt-on NA car and I don't track it very often.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I just looked at Vorshlag's S197 wheel page . . . currently the pricing difference between 18x10 and 18x11 is $10/wheel. Forgestar F14's.

If you have 9.5" or narrower and are looking to go wider, it may not be a much bigger of a step to think in terms of 11" than 10". YMMV, but I only had to do three very minor tweaks to make mine work with zero rubbing even under track conditions . Total out-of-pocket cost for all three, maybe $5 worth of 0.025" aluminum for one very thin spacer. $5 more if I bother to make another one for symmetry.

10" is kind of a no-brainer choice at least as far as tire choices appropriate to that width go (I'm thinking 265/40 or 275/xx here).

10.5" might be a really good compromise if anybody made them in offsets fully compatible with street use (think 285/xx, maybe 275/xx here).

The reason 11's even came up is because you can fit that much wheel without pushing the outer face of the wheel out further than much narrower wheels with offsets correct for an SN95.

Norm

Last edited:

forum member
Reaction score
Well I meant the price difference of wider tires is enough to sway someone's decision. But I suppose there are other factors involved since some tire brands are cheaper than others, and you could stretch a 275 width tire on a 10"+ wide rim.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Long drives to shows or an event prevents mud slings and dirt to chip or dirty your car in those areas...

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back