Potential trades?

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
Ok guys, hope this doesn't get shutdown but it makes a huge difference on a purchase of a car for me and my wife so this is a hypothetical trade until we do purchase. We are looking for a manual convertible but we are having some trouble. So, we may consider an auto IF we can do a manual swap. Now I've searched and I know roughly what I'd need to do the swap myself BUT I was wondering if anyone within a state or two of Illinois would be willing to do an even swap?

What it would be:

If I purchase an auto it would be an 05-06 vert. I would need a full manual trans swap so I'd be looking to swap evenly all the auto requirements for all the manual requirements. Would anybody be down for this? If yes, I would look to purchase the car within a week or two and then do the swap whenever arranged. If not, I might keep looking for a manual.

If it would help (for both of us) are there any shops that would do such a swap? So we both drop off our cars there, they swap and get everything buttoned up, we split the bill? I can do the swap but someone trusting their car to me for the time it takes is a long shot so figured id offer up the professional route too.

Anyone? Im in a suburb of Chicago but the car I'm looking at is in Ohio so we could always work out any distances.

Thanks guys!

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Man if you were closer to colorado I'd be all over this.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Ok guys, hope this doesn't get shutdown but it makes a huge difference on a purchase of a car for me and my wife so this is a hypothetical trade until we do purchase. We are looking for a manual convertible but we are having some trouble. So, we may consider an auto IF we can do a manual swap. Now I've searched and I know roughly what I'd need to do the swap myself BUT I was wondering if anyone within a state or two of Illinois would be willing to do an even swap?

What it would be:

If I purchase an auto it would be an 05-06 vert. I would need a full manual trans swap so I'd be looking to swap evenly all the auto requirements for all the manual requirements. Would anybody be down for this? If yes, I would look to purchase the car within a week or two and then do the swap whenever arranged. If not, I might keep looking for a manual.

If it would help (for both of us) are there any shops that would do such a swap? So we both drop off our cars there, they swap and get everything buttoned up, we split the bill? I can do the swap but someone trusting their car to me for the time it takes is a long shot so figured id offer up the professional route too.

Anyone? Im in a suburb of Chicago but the car I'm looking at is in Ohio so we could always work out any distances.

Thanks guys!

Charlie, I've heard of a few guys swapping from auto to manual. A CMC guy that lives in WI that sold me my MGW did the swap. Hopefully you find someone, that'd be great for you guys.

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
I've got a line started on a potential deal from a member here. This is what Id be buying to do the swap myself. I'm hoping someone can fill in the blanks for me on what Id need.

I'd be getting:

Clutch
Flywheel
Pedals
Crossmember
Aluminum drive shaft
Clutch master and slave cylinders
Driveshaft loop
Trans harness
TR3650 trans

I think based on searching I would need:

PCM
ECM
Engine wiring harness

Anything else?

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
I've got a line started on a potential deal from a member here. This is what Id be buying to do the swap myself. I'm hoping someone can fill in the blanks for me on what Id need.

I'd be getting:

Clutch
Flywheel
Pedals
Crossmember
Aluminum drive shaft
Clutch master and slave cylinders
Driveshaft loop
Trans harness
TR3650 trans

I think based on searching I would need:

PCM
ECM
Engine wiring harness

Anything else?

PM the member 'Doogie', I know he did the swap on his S197, he's a member both here and on CMC. He should have some answers for you. Hope that helps

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I got a manual pcm and engine harness that i'll swap with you for your automatic pcm and harness. I also have a stock flywheel/clutch setup that is available. (I have an engine that had a manual trans and I am going to convert it to an auto setup, but I no longer have the manual trans or any other manual trans things you'll need other than the clutch/flywheel and pcm and engine harness).

FYI, the PCM/ECM is the same thing. The "transmission harness" is included within the engine harness, all one unit.

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
This conflicts with what I've read and heard. Anyone else have info regarding the ECM and PCM and harnesses?

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
Hmm so his swap was manual to auto. Opposite of what I need. Thanks for the link though.

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
So in talking to more people and reading more I'm confused lol.

Why would I need to change the PCM and engine harness? I'm told the manual vs auto in the ECM is a programmable issue. So assuming I need to have a tuner program everything anyway, why would I need to swap any of those parts?

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
There should have been a link in the link giving on info for going both ways.

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
Ah I see. I came across that thread too. But some of the posts aren't dumbed down enough for me haha. This one in particular:

"If you swap eec harness also you will not need to to any wireing.Make sure you get the short jumper harness that plugs to clutch switch(has a relay in it).The EEC harness and the PCM together from the manuel car will make it a breeze to do."

What is this short jumper? They mean factor wiring or making your own jumper. Say I buy all the parts I mention above. I need to have a tuner reprogram everything so I'm still not sure why the engine harness and ECM have to be swapped?

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
The PCM I think is for ease of tuning. It's easier to just tell the tuner you ave an auto and give PCM code and be done. Then having to tune for the manual and then do the performance side. As for the harness I think about ease of the swap of you get one from auto all wires should be there for you. Or you can keep your manual and add and take away what you need.

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
I am going from auto to manual...or at least considering it.

I'm told that the auto and manual ECM is the same. I'd just have to have the ECM reprogrammed which sounds like I'd need to do anyway to make everything work.

So is it that changing harnesses and ECM is "easier" or is it necessary? Because I would think leaving items in place and having a tuner program them would be much easier.

Last edited:

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of doing the swap. Chose not to replace engine harness but remove and and two plugs for the sensors on transmission harness. Haven't figured out what to do with Neutral safety switch yet otherwise id be able to start the car with out pressing the clutch. Also from all the how-to's i've read the auto pcm can be reprogrammed

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
As i replied, the engine harness is a combination engine wiring and transmission wiring harness. The auto trans has 5 connectors, and the manual has fewer and different connectors. You could theoretically modify an existing harness, assuming you get all the wiring correct.

Factory PCMs are different for manual vs auto; they ARE NOT THE SAME..at least in their 'strategy codes' and part numbers. Just try using your auto pcm in a manual, and your car will go into failsafe and throw all kinds of codes.
Most people who have tried to use one or the other for a different purpose usually end up getting the proper one for their application (manual or auto). The pcm can be reflashed completely, but it usually costs less to just buy a pcm that is proper.

You also have to make sure the pcm you get is year-model compatible. I wont go into that.

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
So sounds like if you're gonna do it, do it right and swap the parts instead of "making them work" and stay with parts of similar years? Sounds pretty logical.

I appreciate everyone's input since this decision impacts a much greater decision.

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I went from manual to auto and I can tell you this...GET THE RIGHT HARNESS AND COMPUTER...makes life much easier.

It's all plug and play...almost fool proof except for the 02 plugs. It's easy to swap the plugs around on accident----ask me how I know...LOL.

RH

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back