Priming the motor

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
I searched and found one good write up of a guy who did it with a bug sprayer, which may be what I end up doing, but has anyone pulled the plugs and bumped the motor until it built oil pressure? I'm parainoid of this no matter which way I go,I'm afraid it'll jump time. Any suggestions, or easy ways to do this? how do you know you've got enough pressure if you do it through the plug? with the timing cover on you can't see if the tensions there? Any suggestions ideas ? Thanks

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Can you just turn the motor over by hand with a socket and big ratchet on the crank bolt? Should be a lot less impact than banging the starter.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
When I changed out my lash adjusters last winter I just pulled the fuel pump relay and cranked the engine over for 10 seconds, waited a minuted and repeated about 10 times.

Tiddies

life in the slow lane
Reaction score
When I changed out my lash adjusters last winter I just pulled the fuel pump relay and cranked the engine over for 10 seconds, waited a minuted and repeated about 10 times.

thats how i primed my motor both times. just not ten times more like 4

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
Can you just turn the motor over by hand with a socket and big ratchet on the crank bolt? Should be a lot less impact than banging the starter.

I used the 'bug sprayer' approach, but just turned the motor manually. It wasnt in the car yet :)

I've already put the motor in, not sure how easy this is going to be with it in the car. I wish I had thought ahead and done it out, but I'm not pulling it back out. I did it the old fashioned hard way through the top as it is.

This is probably what I will end up doing, I'm just a little paranoid, I may do it and turn the motor manually like mentioned above. I haven't got the balancer on yet which is my next tech thread. eek!

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
^ that is the one I mentioned I found in the search. I just found it too late. I already have the timing cover buttoned up and everything. I'm not sure I'll be able to tell whats going on. This makes me nervous. lol

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
The purpose of the bug sprayer is the pressurize the tensioners that hold the chains. Hook it up and pump 2 quarts thru it and you will be fine....

Bumping it with the starter is how you jump teeth, some people are lucky enough to not have issues. If you don't want to take any chances than the bug sprayer is the way to go. I've done it on all my motors and never had a issue.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I used the bug sprayer method on mine. I have a oil filter relocation and cooler so I just plumbed in line and pumped 5 quarts in there just to be sure. Here is a pic. same could be done at the oil pressure sensor port by the oil filter.

photobucket-1100-1336615390795.jpg

photobucket-1877-1336879763986.jpg

SiriusB0neR

forum member
Reaction score
I just kept the valve covers off and poured my 4 quarts on each side, then left the COp disconnected. Did 2 5 second key starts

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
^I wouldn't recommend this, you got lucky and 9 out of 10 may be just as lucky. Doing it this way does not pressurize the tensioners, meaning your timing chains will still have slack in them. A lot easier for a the chain to jump a tooth doing it this way with almost no oil pressure and empty oil passages. Just my opinion...

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
But does going from the bottom with the bug sprayer pressurize the tensioners? I don't think I've grasp how that works yet, I understand how to do it, I can follow the write up but I'm missing the technical part of it. I don't guess that matters if it works. But I will be doing it one way or the other this week. So I'll hold my breath until it's done

Last edited:

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Connecting the bug sprayer to the oil sensor port will pressurize the entire motor and all the oil passages. We wouldn't do it this way if it didn't do exactly that.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
Did you pump all the oil in that way or a couple quarts and the rest from the top?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Just 2-3 quarts, the rest I add like normal. Pressurizing thru the oil sensor also gets the oil into the valve train and onto the cams.

Jeffs08gt

Reaction score
I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I just turned it over without the plugs in and no problems for me.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
I used an external engine oiler that looks like a 1/2 scale propane tank. I filled the tank with 3 quarts of oil, hooked up the feed line to where my oil pressure sensor connects. I then connected my air line from my compressor and turned the valve on.

Pressure enters the top of the tank, and a metal line drops down to the bottom of the tank. Emptied 3 quarts of oil into the engine in under 90 seconds.

Engine primed.

These aren't the models I used, but you'll get the idea:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Melling/689/MPL-101/10002/-1

http://www.agkits.com/engine-pre-lubricator-pre-lube-engine-oiler.aspx

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I just turned it over without the plugs in and no problems for me.

It must not be terrible, I've read a ton of people doing it that way

x2 on the bug sprayer priming. Best way to do it IMO.

I've also read this a lot also. I didn't get to it this weekend. I ran into some snags so I'm pushed back another few days. But I am still on the edge of which way to go. Probably going to do 2-3 quarts bug sprayer and rest through the top.

I used an external engine oiler that looks like a 1/2 scale propane tank. I filled the tank with 3 quarts of oil, hooked up the feed line to where my oil pressure sensor connects. I then connected my air line from my compressor and turned the valve on.

Pressure enters the top of the tank, and a metal line drops down to the bottom of the tank. Emptied 3 quarts of oil into the engine in under 90 seconds.

Engine primed.

These aren't the models I used, but you'll get the idea:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Melling/689/MPL-101/10002/-1

http://www.agkits.com/engine-pre-lubricator-pre-lube-engine-oiler.aspx

Those are very cool and look to be exactly what I would need. However, I just don't want to pay 200 bucks for something that is (hopefully) a one time use.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back