Problem with BBK CAI now in limp mode

spyder7724

Reaction score
Helping out a friend with his 06 V6
he just installed pypes duals with shorty's, x-pipe and mufflers and a BBK CAI which he said they told him needed no tune...uh right thats what i said too but the car won't run right at all now. I instructed him to put the air intake back on and clear any codes. also unhook battery for an hour or so but it still doesn't run right and seems to be in limp mode.
It's been a while for me since i had my s197 so is there any trick to getting the car out of limp mode? the computer is all factory at this time.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-Spyder
P.S. I did a search but couldn't find anything relevant

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When my TPS was acting up, all I had to do was turn the car off, wait a few seconds, and turn it back on to get it out of limp mode.

Last edited:

maxwellmurder

Reaction score
I have the BBK CAI and didn't need a tune with it. Does he have the MAF sensor facing the right direction? That could be causing problems.

BirdMan65

Reaction score
is the maf plugged in? :p

Yeah, I did that when I changed the TB. I took off down the road okay but when it warmed up a bit (half mile or so) it went into limp mode. Popped the hood, looked at all the connection's and 'What' I forgot to plug in the MAF Sensor!!! Damn it runs better connected.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Yeah i went there and checked the car out from front to back last night. the MAF is in correctly and checked to make sure it didn't have any debris in it.
we found this out...when the car warms up the fan doesn't come on then it starts overheating and goes into limp mode. we played with the electric fan a bit and i think when he was welding on the exhaust he may have arc'd the fan cicuit or something. at this point i don't think the BBK CAI had anything to do with it. just to clear BBK's name on this.

i'm gonna search re: any electric fan problems causing overheating thus causing limp mode issues.

Thanks for the help.

05 S197

Reaction score
Does the BBK intake come with a insert? If so you have to put it in when the car is not tuned. I put my Roush intake on with out the insert and no tune and it ran like crap. Also with an SCT it can tell you what codes are being thrown and get it out of limp mode.

Last edited:

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score
Dumb question, but what do you mean by insert?

I bought it as a new, never-installed unit without the box or instructions. But there were no extra parts. Just the air tube, rubber coupling and clamp at the TB, the filter, and the metal flow directing air shroud around the filter.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back