Problems for Saleen?

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
The thing about Steve is I don't think he knows how to run a business. Hes been running on private investors over the last 5 years and hasn't paid any of them back from what I can gather. The companies cash on hand has been -$1.5 mil for this year alone. You cant keep a company open with no revenue.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
I never knew that Saleen made a Camaro. EPIC FAIL!

It is sad. The fox body Saleen Mustang's are still some of the coolest Mustangs of all time IMHO.

I mean, how sweet is this bad boy?

pg38-4.jpg

a buddy of mine has one and its one of one. its an amazing looking car.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
I loved some of the older Saleens. Sucks anytime a notable aftermarket company fails. The S-351 is one of my all-time favorite cars.

gtman

forum member
Reaction score
I tried for some time to find a fire sale on one of their superchargers a couple years ago, didnt have any luck

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
They were an OEM brand but they haven't been in that game since the Ford GT days. This is all speculation and just my own humble opinion. But businesses like Saleen need to be an oem supplier and/or contractor to make money not just self support themselves by making their own products and trying to sell it.

claudermilk

Reaction score
are those supposed to be functional butterflies on the vent? kind of like the functional butterflies mustangs were supposed to get but were never sent out?

they arent half bad looking imho

2014-Saleen-351-Red-Butterfly-Intake.jpg
Yup. From what Steve himself said at a local club meeting the butterflies are connected to the throttle input and open more the deeper you get into it. Kind of cool. IIRC, they are supposed to be at least semi-functional.

probably where the problem started...
23360819556229835470.jpg
Yup. They also do Challengers. The sad thing is at the LA show right now they have one of these, a similar Challenger, then in a back corner, a White Label (entry-level) Mustang. Also the Tesla and an old S7. Kind of a thin, somewhat sad display; now I know why.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
That might actually be the best looking Camaro I've seen.

Not first time, thats why there is/was Saleen & SMS. Where's the bankrupty sales?

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
I have been a fan since I owned my 1989 Saleen... I remember as a teen gawking at the 1988 Saleen in Car and Driver... and now my 2005... they have always made the best looking Mustangs, but the introduction of the 07 Shelby was the beginning of the end for the higher end tuner market. . Also, they have abandoned the parts business and performance aspect of the business which I would think is the lifeblood, not just selling cars. Look at Rousch...

Hopefully someone will buy the name again, or rescue the company and give them some direction. I read Joe Amato (drag racing fame) was on their board of directors as of recently. He owned a very successful parts business Keystone automotive (actually a sponsor at many drag events).... but who knows.... sad days at Saleen. I wish him the best and I hope no one put a 2k Deposit on a 2015 Saleen 'cause they ain't gonna see their car.

04DarkShadowGT

forum member
Reaction score
I am just concerned about saleen specific part availability. Mainly just body stuff. It already can be tough getting parts. If they are gone, who knows.

Maybe I should buy a body kit and store it in my garage.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Their speedlab shop shows that the body kits are in stock but who knows when that was last updated.

JimC

Reaction score
Not the first time he's had trouble - a couple of years ago they went bankrupt and sold off all kinds of stuff.

Steve Saleen though has some personal problems looming with this:

The company's total current liabilities, or things it owes people, comes to $5,634,841, including $583,900 in unpaid payroll taxes
As the guy signing everything and in charge, he is personally liable on those unpaid payroll taxes. And with the company only sitting on $7,000 the IRS is going to go after officers.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
MADE. I think they did a great job giving the 05-09 body a supercar-like look and then they took a shit after that. Both looks and in business :tdown:

Yea I couldn't agree more. 05-09 has more homage to their s7 supercar. The design was very original looking as if it really belonged to the car and not making it look like it was just bunch of aftermarket parts stuck on.

The newer cars look like that to me. Plus Ford did an awesome job at face lifting anything to make it even more different just ruined the cars.

Whenever I post anything that might be controversal over there it gets deleted...

Lol, some Saleen owners swear their car is not a Ford.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Lol, some Saleen owners swear their car is not a Ford.

Sounds like the Shelby owners in Denial.

The tuner car market isn't like it used to be, now a days there isn't too much demand for these cars. They lose a ton of value upon driving over the curb and the biggest issue with them is getting warranty stuff done. I would love to own a 05-09 Saleen one day but I fear if something gets damaged I won't know where to go without scouring the ends of the earth.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back