Problems with traction: not

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
Reading what alot of members here state, I am wondering if my stang is running at full potential given the few mods I have. I have UDPs, Jlt 110mm Cai, and an agressive 93 tune. My car does run better than it did stock, but alot of members say they can't get traction through second gear, and some even say third. My car doesn't do that for sure. If I launch hard in first, the tires will spin dramatically, but second is only a solid chirp. Since i'm running stock tires and suspension, I expected more of a traction "problem". Do you think my car is not right, or are other guys embelishing a little? I need to get to a track or dyno...

Last edited:

SLOPONY

Gotta love Stangs
Reaction score
I think your car is doing what it should. It takes quite a bit to "lay rubber" in second gear on a properly prepped track. Dont worry though, as your mods list improves, traction will become an issue!

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Altitude can have an effect as well and sap some of the power off the car. Not sure how high up you are.

Even with an intake/tune and 4.10 gears I was unable to get my car to break loose from a roll in first.

Some of it depends on what tires you have, how warm the pavement is, etc.. Lotsa little factors. If the car has a ton of power though it's not gonna matter.

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
What tires are you running? I would spin my 17s pretty good through 2nd but the bigger rubber and 20s only chirps

I have 19" wheels with the Pirelli P-zeros that came stock. Truthfully, I like the way the car runs, but I don't have anything to compare it too.

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
I think your car is doing what it should. It takes quite a bit to "lay rubber" in second gear on a properly prepped track. Dont worry though, as your mods list improves, traction will become an issue!

Thx dude. Th mod fever bug has bitten me, but I don't have the house commander's backing:asshat:

I put around $200 a month away into my Mustang fund.

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
Ive got a few mods and I have to really try to break them loose. I'm on 17s with stock tires too.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your best bet for breaking the tires loose from a roll is to ease up to about 3k RPM and then nail it.......you'll be surprised at how hard it hits......with street tires I can spin them pretty easing from a roll in first and spin them quite a bit in 2nd, but first look at my mod list, it takes all that to be able to do that. Also I have an automatic, but at 3K that doesn't matter much.........lol. have fun burningthose tires off

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
Your car has a nice NA setup. That's basically what I'm wanting to do in time, allbeit with a 5 speed. Nice Stang:thumb:

Its not that I want to burn the tires off all the time, I just would like to be able to do it when I want too. It's more of an indicator of how strong the car is.

Your best bet for breaking the tires loose from a roll is to ease up to about 3k RPM and then nail it.......you'll be surprised at how hard it hits......with street tires I can spin them pretty easing from a roll in first and spin them quite a bit in 2nd, but first look at my mod list, it takes all that to be able to do that. Also I have an automatic, but at 3K that doesn't matter much.........lol. have fun burningthose tires off

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your car has a nice NA setup. That's basically what I'm wanting to do in time, allbeit with a 5 speed. Nice Stang:thumb:

Its not that I want to burn the tires off all the time, I just would like to be able to do it when I want too. It's more of an indicator of how strong the car is.

LOL Once you CAN do it, it's really hard no to, at least every once in a while.. However I am finding that the way you can tell when you have really good power is how hard the car pulls in the upper gears..... that seperates the fast cars from just "the" cars......lol

SLOPONY

Gotta love Stangs
Reaction score
when i was on pirelli P-zero neros, 275/40R20, i could destroy 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and if i could hold it on the road long enough, i could put about 5 feet down in 4th on the street.

I switched to a 305/35R20 Nitto NT555R drag radial, now i can blister first and all of second, and chirp third on the street

I can also launch it in first with a chirp, and also chirp second on the street if i want them to hook.

Its all in how you drive, you've got a 5 speed, and a stock tire.

Not that this is good for the car in any way, but you could try side stepping the clutch at about 4500rpms in first at a dead stop, then not lifting and power shifting second, They will spin!!! or your clutch, drive shaft and or rear end and tranny will be all over the road, and not the tires.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
when i was on pirelli P-zero neros, 275/40R20, i could destroy 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and if i could hold it on the road long enough, i could put about 5 feet down in 4th on the street.

I switched to a 305/35R20 Nitto NT555R drag radial, now i can blister first and all of second, and chirp third on the street

I can also launch it in first with a chirp, and also chirp second on the street if i want them to hook.

Its all in how you drive, you've got a 5 speed, and a stock tire.

Not that this is good for the car in any way, but you could try side stepping the clutch at about 4500rpms in first at a dead stop, then not lifting and power shifting second, They will spin!!! or your clutch, drive shaft and or rear end and tranny will be all over the road, and not the tires.

YIKES! thats too crazy for me. Nailing it from a stop is useless, just spins all over the place, in fact if I just leave it in drive and do that, before I have moved 20 feet its already in 3rd.......just like a wet road........lol. I do love to see that smoke though.

I can just imagine having a s/c ......me would likey

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back