Procharger D1SC or the new KB 2.8L

usmcpony

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Mustang GT and Ive done some research on both of the superchargers but my main problem is I cant decide on which one I want to go with in my car. I have never been inside a car with a twin screw or roots type blower and this is the main reason why I cant make a decision. I know the twin screw makes good low end power and slightly fades at higher rpms and the centrifugal makes 2-3lbs at lower rpms and almost full boost around 5500 rpm. I have been in a three 05-07 3V Procharged Mustangs (Two were very impressive one had 460rwhp and the other 527rwhp and one very disappointing 430rwhp that felt slightly faster than stock). Ive also been in a fully built 2005 Saleen with a Vortech S-Trim @ 14lbs that dynoed at 587rwhp that was almost insane and my 1993 Cobra 347ci S-Trim @ 12lbs that is pretty fast. My biggest competition is my best friends 1999 Saleen twin turbo running 12lbs with built block, stage II heads and comp cams Stage II. Car has Approx. 600 HP. My other plans are to build my motor in the future. My plans are 302ci stroker, livernois stage III heads, Comp cams stage III and a power adder. My goal is around 650rwhp. The car is mostly a show car and weekend use with about 5 trips to the track a year. Any other sugestions are recommended.

Thanks Shawn Cpl/USMC

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i will be around/over that, with a 302 stroker,livernois stage 3 heads, bbr stage 2 cams, dynatech lt's, and a 2.6l"H" Kenne Bell, the only kit they will be offering on the 2.8l is a 10psi. street and a 25 psi. race pulleys.

the 2.6l"H" has been tested to 705 rwhp and was not out of steam at that level. they are still doing some testing with it to see if it will reach 800 rwhp. the 2.8l"H" was tested to 804 rwhp and still had somemore left in it though

usmcpony

forum member
Reaction score
i will be around/over that, with a 302 stroker,livernois stage 3 heads, bbr stage 2 cams, dynatech lt's, and a 2.6l"H" Kenne Bell, the only kit they will be offering on the 2.8l is a 10psi. street and a 25 psi. race pulleys.

the 2.6l"H" has been tested to 705 rwhp and was not out of steam at that level. they are still doing some testing with it to see if it will reach 800 rwhp. the 2.8l"H" was tested to 804 rwhp and still had somemore left in it though
Thanks for the info. Do you feel the KB can out perform the Procharger D1SC?

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i won't start an arguement with anyone on here about which is better but....

i had a STOCK 2005 mustang and bolted a 2.6l"S" KB at 9 psi. and ran an 11.93 @ 119.97, the only thing that wasn't stock were the 285/35/18 Nitto NT555 tires on Steeda Ultralite wheels.<-not drag radials

i have a friend with a p1-sc at 10 psi. with 4.10, bogarts with full slicks, full rear suspension, weight removed, shifter, clutch, and could only muster 11.95 @ 117.53

so that is the point i have on the 2 superchargers, and for a side note when we would race i always had him by atleast 1 1/2 cars even worse from a 40 mph roll

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sometimes people get caught up in peak numbers, when its really about area under the curve---as long as you can get the power to the ground.

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Mustang GT and Ive done some research on both of the superchargers but my main problem is I cant decide on which one I want to go with in my car. I have never been inside a car with a twin screw or roots type blower and this is the main reason why I cant make a decision. I know the twin screw makes good low end power and slightly fades at higher rpms and the centrifugal makes 2-3lbs at lower rpms and almost full boost around 5500 rpm. I have been in a three 05-07 3V Procharged Mustangs (Two were very impressive one had 460rwhp and the other 527rwhp and one very disappointing 430rwhp that felt slightly faster than stock). Ive also been in a fully built 2005 Saleen with a Vortech S-Trim @ 14lbs that dynoed at 587rwhp that was almost insane and my 1993 Cobra 347ci S-Trim @ 12lbs that is pretty fast. My biggest competition is my best friends 1999 Saleen twin turbo running 12lbs with built block, stage II heads and comp cams Stage II. Car has Approx. 600 HP. My other plans are to build my motor in the future. My plans are 302ci stroker, livernois stage III heads, Comp cams stage III and a power adder. My goal is around 650rwhp. The car is mostly a show car and weekend use with about 5 trips to the track a year. Any other sugestions are recommended.

Thanks Shawn Cpl/USMC

I don't want to start a blower war and I admit that I am biased because I have a KB, but I think the KB would fit your needs better than the Procharger. Here are a couple of points to consider:

Twin screws make more power down low which is a lot of fun on the street.

The KB pulls air from under the front bumper, much better under the hood.

Prochargers, pound for pound of boost, make more peak HP but torque wins races.

Prochargers make more noise than KBs. This is could be a + or a - depending what you want the car to do.

Either one you go with if tuned right you will have a blast.

Good luck with you decision.

PS If I were going to buy anything other than a TS it would have been a turbo. I main reason I didn't is I didn't think I could handle the install or find a tuner that could make it all work.

jasonc32amg

Reaction score
You can make any blower mentioned work; but if your goal is to compete with a turbo you may want to go turbo. Pound for pound a turbo beats a surperchager period.

That said, I have an affinity for PC and will be putting a d1sc on my 06. I have no other goals than a fun daily driver.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
You can make any blower mentioned work; but if your goal is to compete with a turbo you may want to go turbo. Pound for pound a turbo beats a surperchager period.
Yeah...what he said. Twins can be tuned down while you still have stock internals and give you plenty of power. Once you have the built engine you can dial them up and deliver very impressive gains.

Having said that.....if you must stick with the blower I would lean towards the KB. You will have to spin the D1 much higher to make the required power. The KB will simply provide more torque across the rpm band and you will go faster.

usmcpony

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I was thinking of adding the TurboHorsepower Twin Turbo kit but I have already $2000 Invested in Kooks LT, catted x-pipe, and magnaflows. I would really hate to get rid of them. The main reason is I dont like the sound of the turbos, the installation time, and the time it takes to get a twin turbo the way I wanted and shipped to my house. It must of taken me and my friend 30 or more hours to install his HP Performance kit and that was after 9 months of waiting for it to be shipped to his house when they promised 4-6 weeks. The muscle car rumble isnt there and it seems like almost a ricer. The supercharger on the other hand has the deep rumble everyone likes. I want something that has all around performance and reliable that can basically destroy 90% of the cars on the street. I know I wont be the fastest I just fear (just like every othe mustang owner) I spend all this money and get destroyed by a ricer with just a $3000 turbo system or find out I could of been faster for the same price or cheaper. I want to do it right the first time. Thanks for the help.

usmcpony

forum member
Reaction score

Thanks but I have already read that article and I dont think I could compare those two superchargers to the ones I want. The KB in the magazine had a 2.4L and I want the 2.8L. Im not sure but Im guessing the 2.8L with have a little more power accross the board than the 2.4L and the Procharger I want a D1SC and it was a P1SC in the magazine. I was told the D1SC should have around 30 Hp and 30Tq at lower boost levels than the P1SC and even better at higher boost levels. Let me know if Im wrong. Thanks again

F00Mustang

Goes from a dig
Reaction score
One advantage I do see with the procharger is being able to upgrade to the F1-A charger in the future, if you need it. Without alot of fab work, the KB 2.8h will be the largest charger you can go with on the top.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 2.8H will get you in the 9's easily if you want so consider how much power you actually want before you have to full cage/cert your car.

A lot of guys seem to forget what you have to do to the car once you dip in the 9's and it really is not cohesive with a 'street car'. If you plan on always having your stang a 'street car' - make sure to keep that in mind when considering how fast you want to go.

usmcpony

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like the majority likes the KB and a few like the Procharger. Its still a toss up until I actually take a ride in a KB. I have been in a seen a few Prochargers and they were very impressive. If the KB is that much better than the Procharger then this build should be insane.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
I haven't thrown one belt or bent one tensioner with my procharger kit and its what 2K cheaper with a no need for 8-rib upgrade :clap:. If money is no object get a whipple or KB.. but bang for buck will be ati. imo

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I haven't thrown one belt or bent one tensioner with my procharger kit and its what 2K cheaper with a no need for 8-rib upgrade :clap:. If money is no object get a whipple or KB.. but bang for buck will be ati. imo

But how much did you spend on that new motor??? :samuri:

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I say whipple....11 psi of boost, stock car with 20" Saleen (HEAVY) wheels, toyo T1R tires, and I ran a bad 2.01 60 foot with a 119 mph 11.87 quarter mile. I'm VERY happy with the whipple and can't wait to get adam's sheet metal intake, throttle body, and cold air intake for it that gives it another 93 rwhp bolt on with no other changes at 16 psi.:clap:

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
And you run 12s... yup, bang for the buck all right. Some guys run faster than you with no blower at all.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back