Project: Dark Horse Racing

S197BOSS302

Here to Learn
Reaction score
Planning on doing it with the tr3650, about $3000 to do exactly that and get faceplated dog ring gears made for it. Another $2500ish for a sequential shifter. So while not cheap it's doable and something I really do want to do.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I'm not going to say categorically "don't do it," but with a 3650 (assuming stock ratios), you are going to hate life if you ever need to grab 5th gear...

news-st6_310_190_s_c1.jpg

Granted it's a weee bit more expensive, but... Check the specs, and keep a rag handy when you do.

A more sane choice might be a dog-geared T-56. Better, tighter ratios, better parts availability, and a usable 5th gear. I just don't see spending $5500 to bop up what is really an overbuilt T5. Oh, when you do your trans, don't forget the internal pump, cooler setup, and return sprayers! No point in burning one up...

Just curious, but why the focus on the sequential? I know they're cool, but really not much quicker than an H-pattern with dog gears, IMO. Really not trying to start anything or open up worm-cans, just pure curiosity.

S197BOSS302

Here to Learn
Reaction score
Personal desire is really the only reason for a sequential shifter, though I have also approached the build from a standpoint that I will actually end up being the only competitor in my area with a production based north american car. I figure a bit of wow factor might interest some others to take an interest in the sport when they see something that they're familiar with but also maybe blown away by a bit.
I've been making progress. Dash and climate control are out, entire wiring harness painstakingly labeled and removed and I pulled the k-member with everything still attached.

P1000491.jpg

P1000494.jpg

P1000506.jpg

P1000507.jpg

P1000510.jpg

P1000511.jpg

P1000512.jpg

P1000513.jpg

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
That makes perfect since Dave, I have only been into road racing for about 2 years so i had no idea about rules before that time. I could easily see where a S197 would be a class killer in CMC!

For ST2, I have gotten within about 1 sec of the normal pace that our local ST2 cars run with around 8.7 power/weight on 275 toyo rr's and no aero ( VIR ), BUT i can only do that for about 3 laps before the tires are complete balls of grease and start to fall off 1-2 second every lap after that. No way i could compete in a 25 min sprint race much less the 45 min race on Sunday. I agree that AI is his best bet, In all the regions that I know of the fields in AI are rather big vs 3-4 cars that run ST2.

You've gotta get that girl on 315s!!

S197BOSS302

Here to Learn
Reaction score
While your comment is directed at Mike I believe, my intention was to be cautious and look at the fitment of the 295's and run them first and if I believe 315's will work I'll get two more sets of larger wheels made at forgestar for 315's and keep my current ones and mount 295 wets on them

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back