Pulley/belt question

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
Ok so if this is in the wrong section I'm sorry

I'm currently having a belt jump issue, I pulled the IW overdrive crank pulley off and cleaned it up and used the appropriate install tool to put it back on and now I'm only jumping 1-2 ribs instead of 4. The belt is jumping towards the front cover so I'm assuming one of my pullies is not on far enough (is this correct?)

Also, the belt is only jumping off the lower pullies, ie: ac, crank, and power steering pullies, I've already ordered an ac delete bracket and I picked up a ps pulley install/removal tool to adjust that one. Any ideas or suggestions that might help me out?

Last edited:

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
Pulley misalignment issue. All pulleys should be aligned off the crank balancer. Use a laser alignment tool.

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
Yup, I know it is an alignment issue, do you see any info in my post that leads you to a specific pulley being out of alignment?

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Yup, I know it is an alignment issue, do you see any info in my post that leads you to a specific pulley being out of alignment?

What tensioner are you using? Sounds to me like the arm could be flexing or it isn't keeping the belt tight.

The belt on my TVS setuo isn't perfectly aligned and I have no issues with the belt jumping off.

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
Stock tensioner.

I should note this started after an 8 rib conversion. Also, the 8 rib came from a buddy of mine who also had similar issues, he swaped to the thump_r tensioner and still had issues.

Although his br was jumping off the blower pulley not the ones mine is.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Here's a couple shots of my lower pulley setup, You can see the misalignment on the tensioner from the AC to the IW damper, the AC pulley is a good groove behind the crank damper.

The OE 6 rib was pretty much off the same and that didn't change when I installed the 8 rib stuff.

I also had to put a washer behind the 8 rib grooved idler to move the belt forward to keep it from riding on the back lip on the WP pulley. It's at least 1/2 groove forward of the PS pulley.

Attachments

• Roush_6-Rib_Tensioner-2.jpg
    Roush_6-Rib_Tensioner-2.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 8-Rib_Idler-PS-Pulley.jpg
    8-Rib_Idler-PS-Pulley.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 14

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
Here's a couple shots of my lower pulley setup, You can see the misalignment on the tensioner from the AC to the IW damper, the AC pulley is a good groove behind the crank damper.

The OE 6 rib was pretty much off the same and that didn't change when I installed the 8 rib stuff.

I also had to put a washer behind the 8 rib grooved idler to move the belt forward to keep it from riding on the back lip on the WP pulley. It's at least 1/2 groove forward of the PS pulley.

Your just guessing and pissing in the wind without the proper tools. Start by ensuring that the balancer is properly installed. Get a laser alignment tool and take all measurement off the crank balancer.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Your just guessing and pissing in the wind without the proper tools. Start by ensuring that the balancer is properly installed. Get a laser alignment tool and take all measurement off the crank balancer.

Hummm, Not sure why you are are getting pissy with me for as I don't have any belt issues.

Granted my upper pulley's are different but the lower stuff, crank-ac-wp-ps and idlers, are the same configuration as the OE pulley's.

Done here .. Good luck to the OP ..

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back