Pulling My Loovers Off

Moochman4life

Painters tape, yo.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm pulling the loovers off my windows. I didn't install them - they came wiht the car when i bought it.

Any tips or tricks for pulling them off? I don't want to break them or damage anything else in the process. Also, what can I use to get the glue off once I pull the loovers?

Thanks, guys.

Moochman4life

Painters tape, yo.
Reaction score
My bad, they're glued. The glue is actually staring to wear off. I would just pull them off, but don't want to damage anything...to include paint.

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
2 kinds

I just pulled mine off and they were only attached to the glass
Some are larger and attached to the paint

So what ones do you have ?
it will make a difference

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
Can you get fishing line behind them and use that to cut the glue? Like they said, are they glued to the window or the paint?

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
Ive never seen any that are glued on, they all use 2 sided tape. Not saying someone didnt go nuts and use some kind of glue or silicone.

A little heat will help if you have a heat gun, or a hairdryer if nothing else. Dont use too much heat. The heavy fishing line works with the 2 sided tape, and also 3m adhesive remover if you can get it in the qt can. I could buy it in Missouri but cant get it here in Michigan. Its about $20 a qt.

Have to be carefull with that stuff, it wont hurt the paint other than remove any wax, but it will melt hard plastic like tail light lenses etc. The qt can comes with a little spout and you can drip some around the edges and loosen up the tape. It also removes the stickum thats left with a little elobow grease.

svtrojan

forum member
Reaction score
be careful, you never know what's on under them. I had a set on my car when I bought it. As soon as I got home, I pulled those louvers off, hated the way they looked. Turns out the brackets had either been painted around or my pulling the tabs off pulled up some paint. So now I have some really shitty paint around my quarter window on the driver side. :hammer:

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
My bad, they're glued. The glue is actually staring to wear off. I would just pull them off, but don't want to damage anything...to include paint.
just throwing ideas:
maybe its not glue but silicone someone ran around them? try running a zacto blade up against the louver, just keep the blade away from the paint on the car.

you never said if they are like the roush ones with the round corners that just go over the glass, or the cdc of ford racing with the square corners that go over the paint.

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
Moochman4life:

Not sure where you are in the process of removing the louvers but I have a suggestion for you. Try it or not, just trying to help.

If you're not going to save the louvers, use a dremel to cut the insides out and leave the outer ring. Then you can work at the glue or tape from the inside (applying heat to the inside is safer, imho, for the paint since the window only gets warm.

HTH,

Chris

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Even though it appears the OP has abandoned this...

Surely (If attached to paint) this couldn't be any different than taking off a spoiler that was installed with double sided tape...fishing line, some patience, some goo-be-gone or whatever that ish is called and a lot of elbow grease.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back